Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2004 1:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't quite understand what makes kettlebells different from a dumbell. Is it the program and type of movements? Construction and shape?

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/23/2004 1:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand that during the motion the weight continues to "off center" so to speak forcing muscles to adjust and re-adjust throughout the exercise...whereas typical freeweights don't do that. Kind of like tyring to lift a squirming child. More muscles are brought into play than was first intended...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2004 1:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see. Sounds useful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2004 3:06am

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by blankslate
    I understand that during the motion the weight continues to "off center" so to speak forcing muscles to adjust and re-adjust throughout the exercise...whereas typical freeweights don't do that. Kind of like tyring to lift a squirming child. More muscles are brought into play than was first intended...
    I train with kettlebells myself. When I first got one at 54 pounds I thought it was impossible. I just started with a 77 pounder and its a challenge. However, Pavel is on the Kettlebell tape throwing it around like its a toy. He is *extremely* strong for someone that weighs only 180.

I don't think there's really a gyroscope effect. They're more like full body exercises and a lot of times you have to use all of your body/muscles just to get the momentum to throw the thing around. They work for what I want, which is high strength, minimum bulk as I don't want to add any weight to my 6'2" 195 pound frame.

Finger to the Moon, Steve Maxwell has a routine for grapplers in the kettlebell book. Hes a great grappler and his routine is definitely worthy. I may try it myself in the future. You'll still be perfectly fine with Power to the People and a set of weights though.

Sincerely,

Ken

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/24/2004 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, I saw Steve Maxwells two 'grapplers workouts'.
    They looked interesting, although I think I will start off with the beginners exercises Pavel recommends in the book.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 12:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant to say FingerorMoon? Sorry about the mistake. You got the correct weight (35 pounds) so you should be OK. If I were you, I'd order the DVD to make sure I have all of the details as bad form can cause serious injury. If you understand everything and are confident you'll be fine. Also, I think Steve Maxwell's routine was intended for a 54 pound bell so perhaps you're doing the right thing by going with Pavel's.

Sincerely,

Ken

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the book, the DVD, and the kettlebell. I used it regularly until I got a hernia. Not sure it the k-bell training had anything to do with it.

One question though for all the k-bell experts. What the hell is the difference between the "side" press and the "bent" press. Like I said I have Pavel's kettlebell challenge book and video and they look the same to me.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm no expert, but I do the side press regularly. It is my understanding that the side press and bent press are different in that in the bent press you stand all the way back up, then back down... I could be wrong, but that is what I got out of the explanation.

The side press is wonderful. I had a personal trainer at our gym come up to me and express her concern for my performing exercises incorrectly (according to her - she had no idea what a kettlebell was). I thanked her, and continued to do my side presses... She was infuriated, but couldn't do anything about it.

I just got my 53 pounder yesterday... I love it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 2:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    I have the book, the DVD, and the kettlebell. I used it regularly until I got a hernia. Not sure it the k-bell training had anything to do with it.
    Hello Punisher, you may already know this but a hernia often happens because your stomach muscles are disproportionately weaker than your back muscles. Thats why its of the utmost importance to create internal pressure by holding your breath and squeezing your gluteus maximus muscles on the majority of kettlebell movements. This is not really possible for people with cardiovascular problems however.

Originally posted by Punisher

One question though for all the k-bell experts. What the hell is the difference between the "side" press and the "bent" press. Like I said I have Pavel's kettlebell challenge book and video and they look the same to me.
    Yiliquan1 is correct. The bent press is a combination of the side press and windmill. On the side press, your torso remains relatively horizontal, while you lift the bell. On the bent press, you do a side press and then straighten your torso while your arm is straight and pressing the bell straight overhead. Very dangerous if done incorrectly.

Sincerely,

Ken
    Last edited by Perfection; 1/25/2004 2:16am at .

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/25/2004 2:42am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My great grandfather owned a set of original kettlebells and they were passed all the way down to me.

The stress that they put on the forearm muscles is incredible.

Modern bodybuilding has pretty much ignored the kettlebell which had a brief popularity rise in the late 40's and early 50's.
    The "off balance" effect they have is somewhat disconcerting at first, even to experienced weightlifters, which is a good thing if you are trying to build core strength and not just muscle that "looks good"
    MMA's need strength in the connective tissue and regular weights really don't address that issue like the kettlebell does.
    Oh, and by the way, FoM, You could have a metalshop fabricate a "U" shaped handle that would slip over a regular dumbell bar like York used to sell in the 50's or make your own out of standard plumbing parts:http://www.ikettlebell.com/homemadekb.html
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast