Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 11:53pm

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking of Basing a Moving / Career Decision on Training ... Best City to Consider?

So, I'm doing my post-master's internship in the Inland Empire, CA, at the moment, and the company I'm working for is probably my first choice to work for at the moment career-wise, but in end August, when my internship goes away and I go into consideration for full-time positions, I want to have a nice set of alternatives, and all other things being equal, I'm thinking of searching for jobs in cities where some of the more respected schools from forum members, etc. are.

Here would be my dream scenario: a gym which taught both Judo and BJJ and trained students for competition and promotion in both, and also featured a few sanshou/sanda or muay thai classes a week. That would make me really damn happy.

Of course, it's possible and easy to break things up and split time and money and travel across different schools, but I'm talking about where I want to live for probably the next 5-10 years at least, and that involves me having kids and becoming one of those annoying overbearing fathers who insists on their kids doing judo from when they're little to adolescents (and then they'll have the freedom to make the wrong decision if they want...)

For personal reasons, the other two top locales in my mind right now are Buffalo (own my house there) and Boulder (long time friends living there, I have an irrationally strong appreciation of mountains). LA and NYC are obvious choices for having a selection of just about anything, but I'd prefer to put huge cities lower on the list (though I'm still considering them).

Related to this: which regions have the best or more frequent throwdowns?

Also, which god-forsaken hell-holes of martial arts horror should I avoid?

Note: I'll compromise all the arts listed above except judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 12:15am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever want to come to San Diego I can get you hooked up with Judo, BJJ, and San Da. Send me a PM if you make that decision

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 3:11am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you been to all the places you considered? which did you like best?
    why did you like it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 7:45am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go train at Omega's gym?

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sound like BHJJ club to me. Or Hayastan Dojo.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 10:32am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Rancid -- not sure if you mean styles or cities. If styles, yes, and judo and sanshou are more fun to me because of the throwing aspect, and I like the sanda side kick, I'd go for sambo, too, probably kyokushin, though it seems the best kyokushin guys cross-train another kickboxing style... if I keep going, it will probably sound like me just regurgitating a set of bullshido approved arts for the reasons they're approved, but I'm training judo and BJJ at the moment (and trained judo in Buffalo) and did do a few months of sanshou in Buffalo, though it was just with intermediate students as the instructor had recently finished (college martial arts group), and it was really a mixed kickboxing group, where half the guys were muay thai...

In terms of cities I've been all over -- I'm from OKC, OK my aunt lived in Cincinatti and we visited a few times and I was fine with it. I've lived in Buffalo for the past four years, I'm in Inland Empire / SoCal now and like it quite a bit, have been all up and down Colorado and through the Southwest and am happy with those, too. While I like Buffalo and Pittsburgh, and I'm not a big fan of the rust belt area otherwise. I haven't been up far NE. I went to Seattle and the whole Washington / Oregon area as a kid and loved it (but that was in 6th grade... a long time ago). I went a lot of other places as a kid that really didn't make an impression on me - Florida comes to mind first, no idea how I'd feel about them.

Most of the suggestions seem to be SoCal -- which is fine, and I can realistically visit those places over the next couple of months since they're just a quick drive or train ride away, but surely there are plenty of non SoCal options, too?

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 12:21pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're internship is in the IE then yeah, most suggestions would be SoCal. I've heard of a BJJ school that does Judo on Saturdays in the Norco/Corona Area. Omega's gym would be about a 2 hr drive for you. San Diego is about the same.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 2:41pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never been to America so I don't know what gyms is where and stuff like that but I hope you choose a place where you will thrive. You will most likely perform better if you feel good.

I moved to a place where I don't thrive and just look at how much I am struggling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 2:51pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Pantaloons View Post
    I moved to a place where I don't thrive and just look at how much I am struggling.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SoCal has tons of combat sport options. Lots of good gyms that produce fighters, and lots of commercial cardio MMA ones too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast