Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    One of the most dramatic things is seeing a fighter near to being subbed hanging... on ... as ... the ... seconds ... tick ... away... with their corner giving (an often inaccurate) countdown.

There's something very raw about that 17 seconds of survival and it's something that I enjoy. It's part of the spectacle of MMA.

Plus, I've seen fighters throw caution to the wind in the last minute of a round knowing that if they get caught in a sub, they can try to gut it out.
    Exciting.
    Exactly. Returning the fighters to the position before the bell would mean a lot of matches ending in the first few seconds of the next round.

One of the reasons the rules have developed to the current set is to ensure a dramatic and entertaining bout and to avoid the 45 minute hug fests of the early UFCs. You have to remember that in those days a grappler could get a subtle submission that no one understood and the spectators would be left wondering "why did that wuss tap out? He wasn't getting hit." The ref having the option to restart the round "If the fighters reach a stalemate and do not work to improve position or finish,"* may be considered unfair to the grappler however it does encourage a more offensive game from both parties.

Though I lament the loss of style versus style fights of the early NHB competitions I don't think anyone would bother watching MMA if the rules didn't evolve.

* Rule quoted from http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 12:45pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your mid way through a kick, do you get a free kick at the beginning of the next round?

I understand the arguement though. It does take away some of the realism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 2:39pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    honestly... they start standing in jiujitsu competitions in overtime rounds.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12