Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:23pm

Style: San Shou, MT, & No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should A Fight Pick Up Right Where It Ended At The End Of A Round?

Today, i was watching the UFC fight between Melvin Guillard vs Gabe Ruediger and i saw something that really bothered me (i started watching the fight after it started though). Near the end of the round Gabe had Melvin's back, got him in a body triangle and i'm pretty sure he was looking to end it with an RNC (sorry i can't find a clip of the fight) but the round ended, saving Melvin. Then the next round started and a few seconds into it Melvin won with a punch to body... This seemed really unfair to me.. So what do you guys think? Should the fight pick up where it left off at the end of the round or not?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:41pm

Style: Takedowns and batons

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, the point of the rounds is to give the fighters a chance to recover a bit, work over strategies and have a new chance to start fresh.

otherwise we should have 1 giant round that lasts 10 minutes, a winner will either be decided by KO or submission, if it reaches time then the fight is considered a draw.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:55pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a bad idea. The problem is that all too often the round ends in a transitional spot and it'd make iffy ref calls so much more common.

poser

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:00pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the guys above me said.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the 10-5-5 approach that Pride used. It falls between the system the UFC uses now and the system Royce Gracie wishes they used. But perhaps this is all up to the various athletic commissions and not the promotions.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    otherwise we should have 1 giant round that lasts 10 minutes, a winner will either be decided by KO or submission, if it reaches time then the fight is considered a draw.
    I prefer the old Pancrase rules. One, thirty-minute round with rope escapes and a ten count if a fighter gets knocked down. And you get to wear those kickass shin guards.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 11:14pm

Style: lol

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    I prefer the old Pancrase rules. One, thirty-minute round with rope escapes and a ten count if a fighter gets knocked down. And you get to wear those kickass shin guards.
    Sounds fun:headbang:

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An interesting idea, but problematic from a fan perspective. Say you have a tough wrestler facing a tough striker, the wrestler goes for a takedown right off the bat and attempts to lay and pray his way to victory, doing just enough damage not to be stood up by the ref. With your proposed ruleset, the wrestler could easily continue to hold down the striker for all 3 rounds, making for a criminally boring fight.

At least with the current format, the striker gets a free standup at the beginning of each round.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the most dramatic things is seeing a fighter near to being subbed hanging... on ... as ... the ... seconds ... tick ... away... with their corner giving (an often inaccurate) countdown.

There's something very raw about that 17 seconds of survival and it's something that I enjoy. It's part of the spectacle of MMA.

Plus, I've seen fighters throw caution to the wind in the last minute of a round knowing that if they get caught in a sub, they can try to gut it out.
    Exciting.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would fighters who just took a big strike be punched by their own corner to keep from recovering in the minute between rounds? Or by "right where it ended" does the OP only mean whatever he happened to see on TV as the bell rang?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast