Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 3:47pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

serious question about spasms

I used to get those on my calves before quite rarely, since starting to train again in the last 2 months i have never experienced them again, until this morning on my left calf just when i woke up from sleeping (always happens when i am sleeping).

It was so intense and long that i am currently limping walking around my room and cant imagine going to training today with all the kicking and pivoting we do.

have you experienced this problem before and what are some practical ways to reduce the severity or eliminate those.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had it happen to me once (it woke me up), and tried to forcibly stretch the muscle back to normal.

Don't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 6:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, the only thing i tried so far is to rub it while i grit my teeth and try not to scream like a little girl as my muscles tear apart.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:29pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bananas (actually, potassium) and lost of hydration. One banana a day ended a pattern of calf spasms that was causing me to wake up almost every night.

poser

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:05pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a method that my cousin taught me (who's seriously into massage therapy and eastern medicine) called the fold'n'hold:

1. locate the muscle that needs to be stretched. we'll use the calf as an example.
    2. figure out how to bend the appropriate limb so that that muscle is compressed. in this case, fold your leg back so that your calf is squished up against your hamstring. your quads and the little muscles on the front of your shin should be more or less loosely extended.
    3. hold for at least two full minutes

that biomechanically forces the muscle to relax. try it. also, potassium and hydration. bananas rule anyway.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ he's right. The muscle spindle cells will trigger the cramp to release if the muscle is held at its "shortest". There is also a good acupressure point on the calf (UB 57 - look it up) that works like a charm.

Also, get a good massage from a trained massage therapist.

(no, the rubdowns you get at Big Al's All-Night Oriental Massage Palace don't count)
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lots of info here, thanks guys, will try

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 6:16am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Water and your precious precious potassium, cures 100% of all cramps I've ever had. When I used to train swimming [meaning 1.5 hour classes of continuous exercise, hello dehydration!] I got massive calf and foot cramps [right in the tendon that manages your big toe... Goddamn that used to hurt] and a combination of stretching and proper hydration/nutrition would fix it.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 7:43am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Water and your precious precious potassium, cures 100% of all cramps I've ever had. When I used to train swimming [meaning 1.5 hour classes of continuous exercise, hello dehydration!] I got massive calf and foot cramps [right in the tendon that manages your big toe... Goddamn that used to hurt] and a combination of stretching and proper hydration/nutrition would fix it.
    1.5 hours??? That is it? *****.

Yep, those cramps sucked ass didn't they? Yep proper stretching before and after helped potassium did for me sort of but, not always. I hated getting those cramps in the middle of the night.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 6:54am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    1.5 hours??? That is it? *****.
    I never said I was a good swimmer. Besides, no serious cardio should ever take that goddamn long.

Yep, those cramps sucked ass didn't they? Yep proper stretching before and after helped potassium did for me sort of but, not always. I hated getting those cramps in the middle of the night.
    You're hitting butterfly of all things, feeling like you're gonna puke, then "**** OUCH **** GODDAMNIT FUUUUCK!" haul your ass outta the pool, reach for you toes and pray to God to end your life quickly...
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32