Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 7:55pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its like taking a girl home after a good night out and watching a movie at home in your couch, then driving her home. You'll never truly get good at women until you actually do something. You'll never test youself. lolz

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHemmer View Post
    If you dont want to use your bjj, then what are you training for? Black belt is a good goal to set but i think you should compete to get there or else your learning jiu jitsu but not using it. IT's like going to college but not getting a job?
    Except that I have a degree in philosophy and work in IT. It is possible to train jits just for the fun of learning something new.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHemmer View Post
    If you dont want to use your bjj, then what are you training for? Black belt is a good goal to set but i think you should compete to get there or else your learning jiu jitsu but not using it. IT's like going to college but not getting a job?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Its like taking a girl home after a good night out and watching a movie at home in your couch, then driving her home. You'll never truly get good at women until you actually do something. You'll never test youself. lolz
    I'll have to disagree with both of these. The fact is, the last time I checked, what you are doing when you are in BJJ class IS using your BJJ. That is, unless you are attending one of those "weird" BJJ schools that doesn't roll.

I've competed and NOT competed (competed in the past, not competing now) and I must say, I actually have more fun when I'm NOT competing and enjoy BJJ more so when not training for a competition.

That isn't to say that competition isn't a great way of improving your skills and getting better, but it isn't mandatory in my opinion. I would say that, if possible, you at least give a few tournaments a try. But again, not mandatory.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011