Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 3:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How important are tournaments for BJJ?

I've been training in BJJ for a little over 5 years now, and I'm wondering how important to skill progression tournament competition is. Do you all feel that someone can go from white to black belt in bjj without ever competing in a tournament?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:06pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're just training for **** and giggles then its fine, plus it'll take you forever if your instructor is legit.

Don't open a school with it, though.

I guess the real question is...what is keeping you from competing?

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HailtotheKing View Post
    Don't open a school with it, though.
    This is actually the question I wished the OP had asked when I read the thread.

Do you think that a BJJ black belt can open a school without a whiz-bang, or at least mediocre, competition record? Why not?

Or is the question moot since most BJJ BBs won't give out a BB without the student taking part in competition....
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:02pm

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wrong forum, this is mma you want bjj. look down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:51pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I don't think that one necessarily has to be a champ competitor to be a good coach (ala Vince Lombardi), but coaches need to know what it feels like to compete on the mat at least at a basic level. Exceptions may be for medical reasons, etc.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 10:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    COmpetition is not only an integral and extremely important part of developing your jiujitsu, but the BEST FUCKING PART!!!
    Seriously, my biggest gains in skill are almost always the 3-4 weeks after a competition. It gives me a chance to put everything on the line and see where I'm at in a way that rolling in class never quite reaches. It also is one of the only places (For me at least) where I can roll against someone of equal skill and size. Being a little guy it's pretty hard for me to find quality opponents. Most guys are 20lbs heavier than I am, and at equal skill 20lbs makes a big big big difference.
    I can't not emphasize this enough, competition is the heart of jiujitsu. Don't neglect it.

I sure as hell don't think you should be awarded a black belt or open a school without having put in some time in competition.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 7:55am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I can't not emphasize this enough, competition is the heart of jiujitsu. Don't neglect it.
    Competition is the heart of everything IMHO, not just jiujitsu.
    16 years till retirement.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally disagree. With all of the fucked up things that take place in competition (weight cutting, sand bagging, waiting for hours,etc), I don't see the benefit. Some of the guys who do well at tournaments at my school, I would allow these guys to teach my niece how to tie her shoes.

NAGA is tomorrow, I couldn't cut weight because I was out of country for three weeks. So the guys I am going to go against will be 15-20lbs heavier than me. Probably belong to a skill level at least one above me. And I will have to wait 5-8 hours between divisions. I just don't see how this helps me. I regularly go to other schools to roll and train. Maybe competitions in other places are run differently, I don't know. But my judo and bjj experience has been the same.

Plus I don't have any tapout or affliction shirts to wear.

When the little buzzer goes off, I just can't bring myself to care anymoe than before the buzzer went off.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 9:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that's so strange.... I don't cut weight to compete. I walk around at 142ish and weigh in at 139.9. Sometimes guys are way stronger than I am, sometimes they aren't. But when I step onto the mats with some stranger I get ramped up. I love the idea of trying my stuff against someone new.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 9:42am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a lot of **** that goes on with any form of competition that is annoying like that -- extreme weight cutters, certain gis people select, and the resulting picky regulations about what fits and cuts are ok, sometimes people who try and delay their own promotion so they can compete against lower ranked people, etc. etc. Waiting, ridiculous fees, people with attitudes. It would be nice to just scrap all of that and just go to throwdowns or something.

Of course, feeling pressure / stress related to having your performance evaluated or being in an advesarial position and being able to perform well despite that against strangers you haven't seen compete before -- isn't that the whole point of it being a "martial art?"
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast