Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 12:25pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee cop View Post
    It makes me upset when I see fellow officers that are grossly out of shape. It is a huge safety issue! I dont think anyone expects the average officer to be an olympic level athlete, or an elite combat sports champion, But c'mon! A basic level of fitness and competency is not too much to ask!

Yes, agencies are too timid for alive training, and re-certification are a few time a year, but how about seeking training on your own.

I train hard, because I got kids too make it home too, and so does my partner, I may not be the best,but I sure want to be the best that I can be.

When I see an officer that is so outshape that he is out of breath before he makes it to the squad car, I get mad because he is not only putting himself in danger, but me as well.

sorry for the rant, I feel better now:)

I agree totally, it's my personal opinion when a person takes an oath of office as a Police Officer they should lose their constitutional right to be out of shape or unfit.

I think physical standards should be adhered to for any cop who is working the road....period!! Pt standards don't and shouldn't be just for SWAT teams. Even a once a year test would do.

For instance (age, injury, or illness aside) departments could require a 1 mile run in less than 12 minutes, thirty correct push-ups, and 40 full sits-ups as a test.

Now, even as an aging officer, (38) I think the above test is ridiculously easy, but believe me it would help force a lot of out of shape egotistical cock stains, lazy fucks to shape up or sit a desk.

Good thread!!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few rants from me:

1. In many cases when they are like that, there are depression issues. They are self-medicating with food, booze, or both. My father did it, became very obese, became type 2 diabetic, now his kidneys are failing, etc. He is dying but is still buying and eating junk. My magic mentor was on two insulan shots a day, but still had to have peanut butter milk shakes, and felt he could cause he was on insulan.

2. In other cases (lesser) they have them on meds that shoot their metabolic rate into the basement.

Neither is an excuse, my point is, if you are that fat there is a reason, and food isn't going to help it.

Moreover, if they are that fat and out of shape, if they are shot, stabbed, or struck by a car, they have a much lower survival rate. Massad Ayoob has written about this.

In short, we all need to watch and help others as they struggle with this.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why I'm having salad for dinner while my kids are having hot dogs. :(

Know the difference between cover and concealment, kids. Fatties are concealment, not cover.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    This is why I'm having salad for dinner while my kids are having hot dogs. :(

Know the difference between cover and concealment, kids. Fatties are concealment, not cover.

You guys are making me feel bad. Just when I thought that I didn't smell like diabetes anymore....fucking haters!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I've been bitching about this for years. Hard to get people to get off their fat assess without proper incentive. On the squad we had each other to support and motivate. Plus we qualify every month. Everyone else...nothing.

Then criminals that are in shape laugh...That should be incentive enough.

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 2:24am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you have to pass a physical to join? I've been told here in the UK the physical for the police is actually quite hard (i may go digging around for that in a minute just to check!) If that is the case, just make it a requirement of the job to be able to pass the same physical every year. Cant do the physical, then you get fired. If its a requirement on job entry, it should be a requirement to keep your job as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 3:02am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Jihad View Post
    Different force but same sentiments :

When I'm on base and see fat fucking twats in uniform I am COMPELLED to shout abuse - Many of these LAZY FAT TWATS wouldn't last five minutes in the desert yet funnily enough; come airshow weekend I'll bet a penny to a pound they'll be swanning around in their XXL deserts combats. CUNTS !

I agree. I'm pretty chubby, but still able to rock my PT tests, and I look alright in uniform, but some of these national guard/reserve folk are MORBIDLY obese. I mean, full dunlop extending over, down, and past their belt. I don't mind if someone is fat, could care less how they look in uniform, but if the guy next to me can't run at least a mile without passing out, I don't want to work with them doing a job that involves exposure to physical danger.

By the way, aren't you people done with OIF/OEF?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 5:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know in VT law enforcement, especially the state police, are pretty serious about physical fitness. The fat ones are usually in the Department of Corrections. 90% of the CO's I worked with were extremely overweight. They did have a biggest loser contest in the DOC. The winner got a free vacation day. People that bothered to keep in shape like me were out of luck when it came to the competition for extra vacation day. In many towns in NJ you have to pass a physical to get in to law enforcement however the physical is very easy. Typical mile and a half, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. After the Academy many towns did not have a PT requirement to maintain and as a result a lot of cops just get fat. The state police still look good though. Some town's do offer a cash bonus incentive to pass a PT test 2 or 4 times per year depending on the department.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 8:49am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A slightly less popular motivation is to attach physical fitness standards to insurance. There was a big hissy thrown over some guy who required employees to go through smoking cessation programs, diet restructuring, and exercise routines in order to obtain company insurance. Some people were pretty pissed about it and thought it infringed on their individual rights.

The organization I currently work in does not do this and I think it has given us problems. The company heavily subsidizes our insurance. Years ago when I first started working, the insurance was flipping excellent. Now, it's not so great and it looks to get worse next year. Our provider dropped us and we've been advised by our people to not use the benefits in an abusive manner or the company is turning over the cost of our premiums to us. Currently, we do not pay for our insurance.

I see a benefit to requiring staff to hold to a certain health standard. I certainly wouldn't want a bad guy getting the upper hand on me because of some ho-ho's.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Jihad View Post
    Different force but same sentiments :

When I'm on base and see fat fucking twats in uniform I am COMPELLED to shout abuse - Many of these LAZY FAT TWATS wouldn't last five minutes in the desert yet funnily enough; come airshow weekend I'll bet a penny to a pound they'll be swanning around in their XXL deserts combats. CUNTS !

Don't piss off personnel who handle the logistics of keeping your front line "teeth" sharpened.

Just a thought.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast