Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 8:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rev.jc View Post
    striking is really not that big of a deal, look at boxing gyms, & I am working on a desighn for a 16 oz glove, hollowed out boxing glove!

any how the truth is kids who fight at club don't fight in school, I live it It really works! the stupid idea that it will cause fights is moronic!
    Yeah, but there are problems there

1) Try convincing the parents/schoolboard of that
    2)They might not start fights, but the fact that they're training might cause fights to come to them (from others who aren't training)
    3) Suddenly, there's bullshit about how the person with training should have shown more restraint.

I'm sure there are many more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 12:37am

Style: Takedowns and batons

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From one side, i support such an idea a lot, provided they protect them well enough, get the parents permission and limit the amount of striking you can do (no elbows to the face or kicking the knees.) Maybe not now, but as time advances and MMA gains more acceptance you can find parents allowing this.

Alternatively you could make them wear a Gi and pass it off as Sport Combat Sambo.

On the other hand, highschoolers are some of the stupidest motherfuckers on earth, not all, and certainly not those who stay in MMA clubs for long, but as said before, there will be meat heads or buff gym rats who will wear affliction and come in to try to be badass.

Just like you guys fear noobs not understanding what a light or medium spar is, or not to go ballistic when you teach them armbars and instead you get your elbow popped, now multiply this by a 100.

It said so at the beginning: At the highschool in this SMALL, PRETTY AND PROPER LOOKING TOWN near boston.

emphasis on small, proper and town, you can screen potential students in a small town, you cant in a downtown major city school. Else they should require 6 months of training on the wrestling team and the coaches recommendation before allows to join MMA club, just to make sure thier character is tested and know how to be nice and competetive at the same time. Also they would be fit and not flabby.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 8:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post

Alternatively you could make them wear a Gi and pass it off as Sport Combat Sambo.
    Excellent suggestion #1
    Else they should require 6 months of training on the wrestling team and the coaches recommendation before allows to join MMA club, just to make sure thier character is tested and know how to be nice and competetive at the same time. Also they would be fit and not flabby.
    Excellent suggestion #2
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 9:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always thought the way to do this is use Sambo, make it a spring sport, and once they get used to it, then you move from Sport to Combat, to no Gi.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 7:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live near winchester, i wish my high school had an mma club, mma is big with kids in my school theres actually a lot that train at my gym from my school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 5:26pm

Style: Vale-Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we make kids come 2 weeks before they stand up spar!, I have a am boxing background & sometimes take for granted that most mma guys do not, Buff rats & the like do not wander into boxing gyms, if they do they spar once get plastered & leave.

I did my undergraduate at ETSU in johnson city TN when guys would come in off the street our trainer at upper east tn am boxing on state of franklin for any locals,

would try to deter them & let them get shelled end of story!

Kids who train are to tired to fight period, and most other kids are closetly scared of them so it comes out in the wash.

as far as the school board, I am a local minister & friends with the super, we kind of slid by by calling it the martial arts club!

hav,t had one issue, let me re-interate WE DO IT NOW! & have been for 2 years!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 1:12pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rev.jc View Post
    we make kids come 2 weeks before they stand up spar!, I have a am boxing background & sometimes take for granted that most mma guys do not, Buff rats & the like do not wander into boxing gyms, if they do they spar once get plastered & leave.

I did my undergraduate at ETSU in johnson city TN when guys would come in off the street our trainer at upper east tn am boxing on state of franklin for any locals,

would try to deter them & let them get shelled end of story!

Kids who train are to tired to fight period, and most other kids are closetly scared of them so it comes out in the wash.

as far as the school board, I am a local minister & friends with the super, we kind of slid by by calling it the martial arts club!

hav,t had one issue, let me re-interate WE DO IT NOW! & have been for 2 years!

http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 11:41am

Style: Vale-Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes I realize my computer grammar isn't the best I am a terrible typist, & my computer is so slow I just let it go as is!

please forgive my typo's! As I need to take it when the computer works, you know dial up & all!

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: grappeling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a martial artist and was a wrestler in winchester back in the 80s and 90s. Winchester has a great wrestling program lead by Larry T and has a history of martial artists. Rudi Ott and Tony Fryklund were in HS with me there. Rudi was on our wrestling team. Good to see the old wrestling room got a facelift. It was more of a dungeon back in the day. Good luck Winchester martial artists.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast