Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

High School MMA

Winchester MMA Highlight Video

The Winchester MMA club does not teach “UFC” or “MMA” – instead, the program introduces students to a variety of martial arts disciplines through certified and accomplished martial arts instructors from a multiplicity of martial art facets; ergo, it is a “mixed” martial arts club.

This hopefully will spark in students, who otherwise would not have been exposed to martial arts, an interest to train in a particular discipline outside of school whether it is BJJ, Muay Thai or moQ'bara.

MMA will ultimately reach a ceiling given the status quo unless the sport can: (1) develop a farm system composed of constituents from all martial arts disciplines that in tandem will form a deep talent pool for MMA promotions, (2) construct the frameworks for an equable base of support (e.g. baseball will always have fans so long as youth and amateur leagues exist), but most importantly (3) educate the next generation by shedding light on what martial arts is and isn’t by cutting through the façade of fallacious myths and stereotypes fostered and publicized by the mainstream media, Hollywood and the uneducated public.

For all intents and purposes, the Winchester MMA club addresses all three impediments for the continued growth of the sport. The prospects and full potential of MMA resides in secondary and post-secondary school students like the ones at the Winchester MMA club.

The next step is to institute high school and collegiate "MMA" clubs across the nation that can introduce students to the various disciples of martial arts. Imagine if Kenny Florian had discovered martial arts while in high school or college and began training then as opposed to playing soccer; or better yet, imagine how many Kenny Florians are out there in high schools and colleges across the nation right now playing football or hockey... there is no dearth of talent, only absence of opportunity.

A submission grappling league/association (a way for “MMA” clubs to compete against one another) at both the high school and collegiate levels would be the next logical institution to establish.

Feel free to contact me if you or someone you know may be able to help.

facebook.com/ingoo
    in-goo.kwak@tufts.edu

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 12:10am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With today's new thing called the internet the Kenny Florians of the future can find out about quality training with gyms in their area. High schools are not a place for any martial art to be presented. Sorry but Judo has already done it and is still doing it in many countries. The US is just to stupid to not have it as a regular class.

By placing just any martial art in high school it gives it validity that it may not have nor deserve. Add to that too many retards have ruined martial arts in the high school setting for the rest of us. Bullshit karate and jujutsu teachers have left a bad taste in the mouth of many administrators.

I am currently trying to get the administration to allow me to teach Judo at the high school I currently work. We will be going through a change in structure and will be a school of choice and new full time high school. Its a hard sell. Striking arts mainly hinder the process and MMA is actually causing a problem. Boxing use to be a big part of high school down here but was discontinued due to the "brutality" of the sport.

In a high school setting the structure and developmental process of Judo is a really good fit for what an administrator is looking for in a class. McDojos can also argue the point with their styles due to the rank process they have and technique progression structure. Judo on the other hand has one thing that they don't and that's the Olympics. High School Nationals helps also.

Taekwondo is also there but again its a striking art and makes for a hard sell.

Plus if I actually pull it off I will have one of the few real Kosen Judo clubs in the US.

I agree martial arts should be a part of high schools. I disagree that it should be just any martial art.

PS
    Ask anyone who has been in Judo for awhile and they will tell you this is an old issue. I hate to make it sound elitist but Judo has been doing it for awhile and has seen all the problems and actually solved a few. People are just too lazy to do a little research and find out. Everyone wants to think they are reinventing the wheel when smarter people than them have already solved the problem but some asshat pointed in the other direction and made people forget it.
    Last edited by Coach Josh; 6/25/2009 12:16am at .
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 12:31am

Style: lol

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DAMN! I would love to have MMA classes at my high school!!!! barely any one at my school knows anything about MA and I could rarely bring up a good Martial Art conversation. I have met some kids who trained in Martial Arts as well but like only 5..... I have a teacher who did Muay Thai for a while as well, pretty awsome.

SERIOUS QUESTION!!!!, I am thinking about headding to the principal and ask if it is possible for the school I am enrolled in to have a MMA club, what should I say? any tips for persuasion? I really need help! I am really thinking about asking our principal to make a new MMA club, (we are allowed to talk to the principal about new clubs" any tips for me? please help. Most people at my school are into things like football and mostly team sports (wich are also fun) but Im more of a combat sport person

only problem really is who will teach the MMA club, I will ask around about this! =) (we could be in the p.e gym using the wrestling mats, or just use the wrestling room)
    I think its a great Idea, but I need tips to help make sure the principal will trust me with the idea, you know.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coach Josh, as much as I love Judo, I think the body politic of the governing Judo orginiztions in the U.S hinder any chance for it to work in my neck of the woods(Milwaukee public schools)

Folkstyle wrestling is HUGE in Wisconsin, and one would think Judo would be a perfect fit for an off season sport.

But it has been my son's expierence, that the Judo sensei tells him to just focus on Judo and forget that wrestling crap, and his Wrestling coach parrots the same thing in the other direction.

I hope my expierence is not a universal one, but that is how things are here.
    16 years till retirement.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 5:49am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're actually not too far from Winchester. It would be cool if KosherKickboxer could take MMA in highschool, but that town is pretty expensive. His friends finally understand what he does after watching Bully Beatdown :)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have tried this forever. Your major problem is going to be getting Judoka to pick a "season." If I am an AD I need to know when you need the gym. Saying "there is no season" is death. I have suggested Spring as it avoids Football and Wrestling.

I also suggest getting Bob Knoll's DVD on foot sweeps to show both sides they have things to learn from each other.

I would think the best way is to find two schools that hate each others guts and make a team in each one; then have a shiai. Build it from there.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just listening to my friend's version of "Don't Get Fooled Again" and I clicked on the Winchester MMA video to get Babba O'Riley and DGFA at the same time. Who overload FTW! Don't forget, this is more than just a subwrestling club. They obviously do some boxing and what looks like TKD too. I think getting MT into the schools could prove tricky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:58am

Style: Vale-Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

We do it!

I suppose I am beating a dead horse here, but we do have a high school mma club, I have 12 kids who come faithfully.

I have run the crusader grappling program for 3 years, we put on fights, demo's really

Our program has been a huge sucsess, I am on a first name basis with the school super. & high school principal. I am also the assistant wrestling coach.

this past year our program got news coverage when the wrestling coach (who was section 2 dII coach of the year) creditied "Fight Club" as he call us for being responsible for the fledgling wrestling programs sucsess!

We have a show coming up in august, I have a full stable of fighters under 18!

On a more important note, 75% of the members of our club are on the high honor roll! the 25% that are not (3 kids) have been academicaly eligible for the first time in thier high school careers IT Works, it keeps kids out of trouble!

call 518-872-9239 with any questions you may have!

I am proud of our club!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rev.jc View Post
    I suppose I am beating a dead horse here, but we do have a high school mma club, I have 12 kids who come faithfully.

I have run the crusader grappling program for 3 years, we put on fights, demo's really

Our program has been a huge sucsess, I am on a first name basis with the school super. & high school principal. I am also the assistant wrestling coach.

this past year our program got news coverage when the wrestling coach (who was section 2 dII coach of the year) creditied "Fight Club" as he call us for being responsible for the fledgling wrestling programs sucsess!

We have a show coming up in august, I have a full stable of fighters under 18!

On a more important note, 75% of the members of our club are on the high honor roll! the 25% that are not (3 kids) have been academicaly eligible for the first time in thier high school careers IT Works, it keeps kids out of trouble!

call 518-872-9239 with any questions you may have!

I am proud of our club!
    I am proud of your club too. One of the things I was most impressed with when our kids fought each other was their composure. Made me proud of all the kids involved that they went after each other, and maintained their composure, stance, techniques and presence of mind better than many adults I have seen in smokers. I think an early introduction to a striking grappling mix, be it Pankration , SanDa, Combat SAMBO, or the Don Frye type mix you teach in your program does wonders for the kids' ability to relax and stay focused in school and the ring.

Props rev.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Under 18? Who insures your program?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast