Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 3:15pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This McSite cracks me up. I see no evidence of honor, respect, or civility here. These are characteristics that any true Martial Artists of quaility embodies.
    True but...
    To be anything martial you have to be able to fight, and most schools do not teach you how to do that

game dog

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "For me martial arts is about violence. For some people it is not."

Its certainly strange if its about something else. You go around strangling your friends because you just like to compete? Whats wrong with chess?
    Nothing. I don't play chess, but I do enjoy other strategy games and have even played in a couple of tourneys, but it is not as physically intense as MAs. Sparring makes me feel very much alive - that's the difference.

You can play for free. You want to get in shape? Hit the gym. Its probably cheaper.
    Nope. And not nearly as much fun.

This thread has made me think about my motivations to do MA. Self-defense is certainly one aspect of it. I hated it when I saw some aggressive punk in a disco or on the street and thought "I'm probably ten times smarter than this guy, but he could still kick my ass just because he wants to." Knowing that anyone who attacked me would be in for a nasty surprise is a good feeling.

This feeling of security is, IMO, more important than security itself for many people. Think about it: if you train hard to defend yourself, you invest a lot of time, energy, money, and also pain and injury. Unless you live in a very bad part of town, you are likely to suffer a lot more injuries (big and small) from regular hard-core training than from a (rare) real-life altercation. And even if you live in a bad part of town, you should probably spend your time working extra hours or studying hard, to get a chance to move away, rather than training to defend yourself from other morons.

But what really keeps me going to class is that I'm addicted. I enjoy friendly competition a lot - you choke each other, but afterwards you're still friends, isn't that great? Also, improvement is very tangible in MAs compared to other activities, and feeling improvement keeps me trying hard to get even better.

I am, in real life, not a violent person at all, and I'd be happy if I never had to apply what I have learned in a self-defense situation. Whether or not training is "about violence" for me is a semantic issue. I'd say it is more about "having the options for violence available".
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I'm not what most people would call naturally predisposed to violence, I under stand that to survive, it may be neccisary to have an old fassioned throwdown with some one.
    It wouldn't be my first choice, I freely admit this, but if its fight or die, the mofo that attacks will be hit, hard and repeatedly if need be, and untill he/she/it stops moving.

the world you live in is just a sugar coated toping. beneath it is another world. The real world. and to survive there you must learn to pull the trigger!!!-Blade

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key question dudes is he "pottie trained'?

That might be his first test for his Black belt!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is crap----------The ATA has no 6 year old instructors------------------------get real!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ATA HEAD,

Is it true that a ATA Florida school had some problems with teachers messing with under age chicks? Tell the truthie, no liey!!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678