Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Common training injuries

Good morning everyone!

I have a strange request, but I figured if anybody were to know the answers it would those who have probably lived it.

One of my day jobs is running a Massage and Bodywork school specializing in injury rehabilitation and athletes and Im currently revamping our clinical pathology protocols.

What Im looking for is a listing of common injuries suffered through MMA, JJJ, BJJ, etc training and competitions. I can guess some obvious ones, but to better serve the growing fighting trends of the modern athlete and to build more useful and effective sports massage therapist Id like to get some insider information. Not being an MMAr myself puts me at a bit of a disadvantage for knowing the ins and outs of damage sustained throughout this type of training and competition. Hence why Ive come to you

Thanks for your time, guys and gals. I appreciate it!

Josh

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go through my judo dojo for reference.

I have a weird left toe, not sure what's wrong. Hurts to crack that knuckle. Similar issue with my left thumb. Left shoulder got sprained / deeply bruised after I got slammed at a tournament. That's it for me.

Dojo mates: ACL torn from turning with foot planted, MCL sprained from a bad landing, ankle broken from a misstep, tennis elbow/sprained from a number of judo and work issues, strained middle back from work and forward rolls, broken thumb at a tournament, twinged lower back from seoinage.

We've got a lot of older guys.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:52am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wrists are pretty badly torn up now from doing chin na. Other people I train with have also had similar complaints.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:01pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A student of mine wrote this: http://www.youngforest.ca/rmmarts.pdf a few years ago. Might be helpful for your research.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I downloaded a PDF or DOC from judoinfo.com that outlined concussion rates in judo, and they may have had another that discussed the commonality of other injuries in the sport.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 1:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a few minor concussions from going a little too hard in sparring. Developed a bone spur on the joint of the big toe on my left foot from turning over on it wrong or something while throwing my cross. Bruising on the tops of my feet from catching elbows when people block, bruising on my shins from checking kicks. Two broken metacarpals in my right hand from landing a hook wrong, multiple sprained wrists from hitting the bottom of the heavybag. Lots of misc. minor injuries. Never any big ones while doing combat sports - those all came from normal, 'safe' sports.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 2:00pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Torn meniscus. Separated rib cartilege. Lots of minor joint sprains to knees and shoulders.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 2:46pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally: boxers fracture on my left hand, slight jaw problems (from being punched with my mouth open), various other hairline fractures on shins, forearms, tendon problems on right elbow etc etc. Nothing too bad.

Club: Torn ACL, broken noses, various other fractures on hands and shins, not sure about whether there were broken ribs or injuries to the diaphragm from knees to the solar plexus, but its very probable. will double check with my trainer today.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Torn meniscus/acl, broken metacarpals/toes/fingers, ligament damage to shoulders/elbows, torn muscles.

And thats just me, lol

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Torn meniscus/acl, broken metacarpals/toes/fingers, ligament damage to shoulders/elbows, torn muscles.

And thats just me, lol
    Jesus, start taking care of yourself, old man.

And you mean metatarsals and metacarpals. Not the same thing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast