Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to post something retarded, like something along the lines of "Ya'll niggas is ghey" etc... but...

Here's an actual question, since this is Bullshido and the site does have the whole "douche bags of internet" thing going about, does this "lingual clean up" apply to offensive slurs regarding sexual orientation/race/etc... or just general insults as well? Is insulting someones intelligence the same, worse, or lesser then insulting their culture?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 12:01am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    But don't expect idiots like me who aren't yet old enough to rent a car to buy it.
    Who told you to buy a car? I told you a story. A kid witnessed something that made him incapable of discerning between violence and the usage of the "n" word, and you think it's applicable to the rest of us?

I will say it again differently this time. Scarred person is not a model for humanity.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 1:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    I was going to post something retarded, like something along the lines of "Ya'll niggas is ghey" etc... but...
    White_Kimbo already did it. With much relish. Or whatever his people put on their burgers ;-)

Here's an actual question, since this is Bullshido and the site does have the whole "douche bags of internet" thing going about, does this "lingual clean up" apply to offensive slurs regarding sexual orientation/race/etc... or just general insults as well? Is insulting someones intelligence the same, worse, or lesser then insulting their culture?
    There is no sanctioned clean up. That was never the intent.
    This article/thread is a slow-pitch to start a debate... or for people to post their views.
    The onus is on the individual to effect the change in the way they post, should they feel that way.
    Last edited by sochin101; 6/25/2009 2:27am at .
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 2:18am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article. The "its just a word" argument never holds up with me. Correct it is a word, but words have meanings, more over words have different meanings to different people. Cob to me is a bread roll, to other people its building material.

If you are happy to spout racial/sexist/homophobic words and take them as pure insults, we all do this from time to time. When you do though remember that these words mean things to people. They mean different things than they mean to you, and using them shows one of two things to me. Either you actually believe in that meaning of the word, in which case you are a racist/sexist/homophobe, or you are using them without taking into consideration other peoples opinions on the meaning of the word. In which case you are just an insensitive, arrogant prick.
    Last edited by honesty; 6/25/2009 3:10am at . Reason: spelling etc.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 2:33am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, whiteys. So I want to know what do you all think the word "******" means. Give me your definition.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra View Post
    Ok, whiteys. So I want to know what do you all think the word "******" means. Give me your definition.
    Well, in the old days it was a word used to scare and demoralize and diminish black people, but now it just seems to make the black people upset and that's why some white people get all worked up about it because darnit, a tiny sliver of their surplus power is gone now. And sometimes non-white people get even more upset because sure they may be kikes or chinks but at least they could point to ******* and feel better, but now they can't!

And it's your fault!

*BURSTS into tears*

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 3:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I had this guy that worked for me. I wouldn't have chosen him... I kinda inherited him when I took over another department at work.
    Glen, the guy, would liberally sprinkle conversations with stuff like ni**er, paki, raghead.
    I pulled him to one side and explained that I couldn't let him use language like that at work, either in my presence, or in the presence of other staff. I explained that 1] he could be overheard by the public and 2] it wasn't 1950, and that **** just wasn't cool any more.
    I told him that he'd have to keep that **** suppressed if he wanted to stay working for me.
    The very next day, I went into his office and he starts whispering "come on ******. good boy, good boy ******" while staring at a Nintendo DS.
    I asked him what the hell he was doing, and did he remember our conversation.
    He acted innocent and said that he was playing Nintendogs on his break, and that his dog (a black lab) was called ******. He even had the Wikipedia page up ready, triumphantly displaying Wing Commander Guy Gibson's famous black labrador of the same name.
    That's how I see people who have to use the word. They'll find any justification for it... any at all.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 4:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww View Post
    Except "white supremacist" actually has a meaning. I'm not a white supremacist, so don't call me one.

However, feel free to call me "cracker" or "white boy" or "kike," because I am certainly all three of those things, as supposedly offensive as those terms are.

edit: how do combine two posts
    So the word "******" has no meaning?

I do enjoy how everyone immediately discredits me when I use the word "white supremacist". I will make sure to use that word at all times from now on since to me it is just another word and who the hell cares what you all think. Grow up, open your eyes, it only has as much power as you give it.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 4:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What up, white supremacists?

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 5:43am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leaving aside the conspicuous white guilt, ethnic squeamishness and the Jane Austen-esque comedy of manners (how topical!), I think the rules changes are a good idea simply because they keep out-and-out arseholes away from this dazzling wonderbra of a forum. Common or garden arseholes are fine, but really if you're that worried about your son listening to Bob Marley or whether he might like nail polish, I hear Stormfront is ready and waiting, and just begging to hear you whine about your persecution complex.

Seriously though, given some of the unstable irony that gets used here, is there a 'Jonathon Swift' test in place? In other words, if the use of offensive material is plainly used for irony and to make a valid point, does it still get lumped in with the bonehead bigotry by default?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast