222361 Bullies, 4667 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 72
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
  1. DKJr is offline
    DKJr's Avatar

    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,208

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 9:48pm

    supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I this thread deserves a youtube clip.
    YouTube - family guy-jury duty
  2. kwoww is offline
    kwoww's Avatar

    poser

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,986

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:24pm


     Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant! View Post
    This point neatly illustrates the mine field that this topic is. The opinion of a white male, dismissed out of hand simply because he is a white male.

    That's a little racist...

    I recall some of Chris Rocks speech on racism where he concludes that, it isn't really ok for a white man to use the 'N'-word.

    But if that is the case... Isn't excluding a word from someone's vocabulary, purely on the basis of their skin colour, I dunno, a little racist...?

    And are we talking about the "******" version of the word...? Or are we talking about the attempt to reappropriate the word by making it into "Nigga"...?

    Is it ok for a white man to refer to a black man as "My Nigga" Meaning 'Brother'...?

    Are we making giving this to much power by the constant discussions and violent reactions to said word...?

    I mean, the Brits call the french 'Frogs' and they call us 'Ross beefs' and we were killing each other for a hundred years... That would provide some awsome cultural baggage... But no one really care's now.

    I dunno, I 'm speculating out loud here....
    I'm going to rep your face off for this.
  3. kwoww is offline
    kwoww's Avatar

    poser

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,986

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:29pm


     Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra View Post
    What is the deal with you people and the whole "giving the word too much power" bullshit?

    I mean, honestly, such a banal justification. Humor me everyone, when I accuse you all of being white supremacists. After all, it's just another word.
    Except "white supremacist" actually has a meaning. I'm not a white supremacist, so don't call me one.

    However, feel free to call me "cracker" or "white boy" or "kike," because I am certainly all three of those things, as supposedly offensive as those terms are.

    edit: how do combine two posts
  4. leyon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Brisbane!
    Posts
    107

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:40pm


     Style: Basically Bad Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me it is pretty simple. Bullshido represents a place where people go to to find out information about fake martial arts. If a newcomer comes in, is unaware of the 'culture' around the forums, and feels offended, I would say that has hurt Bullshido's ability to facilitate communication, which in turn hurts the ability to out frauds in the martial arts.
  5. Snake Plissken is offline
    Snake Plissken's Avatar

    When I Get Back

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,559

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:40pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra View Post
    What is the deal with you people and the whole "giving the word too much power" bullshit?

    I mean, honestly, such a banal justification. Humor me everyone, when I accuse you all of being white supremacists. After all, it's just another word.
    try again with "Nazi"
  6. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,225

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:11pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopkc View Post
    The fact that so many get so wound up over such trivial **** like who uses what word when and in what context while wearing what color skin just shows what a large bunch of fucking oversensitive, immature panty-waists exist in this world. Where I work, I am almost always in the racial minority, and I don't cry or get offended when someone throws a little word my way to get under my skin, it's usually the most insecure people that do it. Words only have as power as you give to them, if you are going to let some jackass get you all worked up with a word or two, you should probably seek counseling. When someone is obviously trying to start **** with you by running their mouth, you need to decide when it's worth it to give them what they are asking for, but engaging in a verbal or in the internet case, written pissing contest is just asinine, and makes you look like a complete tool. Oh, and nice to meet everyone.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that you're younger than 30, probably younger than 25.

    I see a pattern. Younger posters tend to have a, "What's the big deal? It's just a word." attitude. Older posters who remember the civil rights movement seem to believe that hate speech terms, specifically the "n" word, are racist and should not be tolerated.



    You want to tell me that word has no power? Let me tell you a story about a 12 year old boy who wandered down an alley scrounging for "artifacts" one Sunday morning around 8:30 am in 1981. When he came out of the alley, he saw four drunken rednecks half walking, half staggering down the far side of the street. Shuffling toward them on the same side of the street was an old black bum who was talking to himself in a broken manner. The boy hid himself behind a dumpster to watch.

    Once they noticed the old man, the rednecks began talking to each other loudly about how they hated black people. That's not the term they used of course. As they neared him, the hicks grew quiet. The lead one shoved the bum as they passed. The old man complained loudly. Another redneck exclaimed, "What'd you say "n"!" and they jumped him.

    The old man went down. The boy watched as they kicked the bum unmercifully. All four wore cowboy boots. Two of them escalated the violence in a sort of horrendous competition.

    Once the filthy sub humans had gone, the boy slowly crept across the street. The old man's face no longer looked human. His chest looked caved in and his breathing had a particular wheeze that the boy wouldn't hear again until his grandfather took a month to die six years later. "Death rattle" they called it.

    Seeing the man there on the street, dying, was too much for a white suburban boy who had never seen true violence. He ran back from whence he came faster than he had ever run before.

    Because he did nothing that day, the boy decided he would never tolerate overt racism again, regardless of the consequences. Nor would he ever use that specific racial epithet, in speech or in print.

    To this day he can not tolerate the "n" word. If the word is overheard being spoken by a white person, he can chose to leave the room, or become physically violent.
  7. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:26pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    or become physically violent.
    You must see the tension between this and the rest of your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  8. omoplatypus is offline
    omoplatypus's Avatar

    Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,331

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp,

    that story is intense. way more intense than when i learned how much power the n word had.

    i was in 2nd or 3rd grade, cant remember, and all i knew was the word and not it's implications. i called a black kid the name because he was messing with me on the bus and the ass beating i took from it cured me from ever using the word in any serious manner again.

    your story kind of makes me not want to use it in satire or irony either.

    wow.
    --------

    Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
  9. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,225

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:29pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    You must see the tension between this and the rest of your post.
    Ha, ha. Scarred human is not evolved human.
  10. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:47pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Ha, ha. Scarred human is not evolved human.
    Maybe this is because I'm too young to know better, but when I read your anecdote of assault, murder and racially-charged language, it's not the racially-charged language that appalled me, it's the violence. As far as I'm concerned, what they did wouldn't have been one iota less abominable if they'd referred to the man as "garbage", "scum", or any other selection from the panoply of words that aren't (ahem) blacklisted. Hell, they could have been calling him "friend" the whole time, and the net effect would have been the same.

    If your point is that they weren't, that the kind of people who will beat a man to death for his skin colour or just for the **** of it also tend to use racially-charged language, you can ride that horse until it's glue. And if you want to draw a big thick red line between people who beat the **** out of other people because of their victims' skin colour and people who beat the **** out of other people because of their victims' word choice, have at it.

    But don't expect idiots like me who aren't yet old enough to rent a car to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.