Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: so-jutsu, kendo, tameshig

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Phillip Hilzinger's phony Budokai ryu kenjutsu style.

Hi guys,

A while back I got hold of an instructional DVD Sword Secrets of the Samuraiby by a self-professed master sword tactician Phillip Hilzinger who runs a dojo in Wollongong Australia. He claims to have had 40 years exclusive training with samurai clan's sword masters in Japan the sword style: Budokai ryu kenjutsu.

Researching in Japan and on the Internet I found there is no such 800 year old secret samurai sword style called Budokai ryu kenjutsu. I emailed this Hilzinger on info@samuraisecrets.com, but he never replied.

What triggered me off is Hilzinger's brazen self praise and self glorification the likes I have never seen on any martial arts DVD cover.

In comparison to other JSAs Hilzinger's sword and target cutting display comes across as third rate, awkward and altogether unpolished and crude.

The DVD is on sale for $ 39.95 and is advertised as A 3.5 Hours Classic which, according to Phil Hilzinger, attracts bad luck if copied:

WARNING! Copying this video illegally is dishonest.
    Dishonesty invariably attracts bad luck.

How vain can one get?

I think it unfair to people who are sincerely interested in the JSA only to be sucked into buying a DVD that falsely claims to reveal 800 year old sword secret never before seen and that he, Hilzinger is a highly self-diciplined master swordsman that teaches clearly and demonstratesphenomenal swordsmanship skills.

As there is absolutely no background to be found on Phillip Hilzinger's Japanese sword training, either in Japan or Australia, or him having received any type of a master's certificate or high dan-grade by any known Japanese grandmaster (by his own admission he only learned from Japanese grandmasters) one must consider this Hilzinger guy to be a total fraud trying to make a quick buck out of a gullible public by selling a DVD that's definitely not standing up to what it claims to be.

Any other opinions out there on this Phil Hilzinger and his DVD?
    Can any one shed some light on his Japanese sword history?
    Anyone ever watch him train or see him perform in public?

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 6:47am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been bounced around on e-budo before:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30999

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 11:41am

Style: mental illness recovery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good, im gonna get it!:911flag:

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 1:47pm

Style: Shamar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Hi guys,

A while back I got hold of an instructional DVD Sword Secrets of the Samuraiby by a self-professed master sword tactician Phillip Hilzinger who runs a dojo in Wollongong Australia. He claims to have had 40 years exclusive training with samurai clan's sword masters in Japan – the sword style: Budokai ryu kenjutsu.

Researching in Japan and on the Internet I found there is no such 800 year old secret samurai sword style called Budokai ryu kenjutsu. I emailed this Hilzinger on info@samuraisecrets.com, but he never replied.

What triggered me off is Hilzinger's brazen self praise and self glorification the likes I have never seen on any martial arts DVD cover.

In comparison to other JSAs Hilzinger's sword and target cutting display comes across as third rate, awkward and altogether unpolished and crude.

The DVD is on sale for $ 39.95 and is advertised as A 3.5 Hours Classic which, according to Phil Hilzinger, attracts bad luck if copied:

How vain can one get?

I think it unfair to people who are sincerely interested in the JSA only to be sucked into buying a DVD that falsely claims to reveal 800 year old sword secret never before seen and that he, Hilzinger is a highly self-diciplined master swordsman that teaches clearly and demonstratesphenomenal swordsmanship skills.

As there is absolutely no background to be found on Phillip Hilzinger's Japanese sword training, either in Japan or Australia, or him having received any type of a master's certificate or high dan-grade by any known Japanese grandmaster (by his own admission he only learned from Japanese grandmasters) one must consider this Hilzinger guy to be a total fraud trying to make a quick buck out of a gullible public by selling a DVD that's definitely not standing up to what it claims to be.

I have nothing to offer here other than a link I think most people either have not found or have not noticed yet....

here is a link that contains a pic of PH learning "sword" back in 02...the pic seems to look like the same person you mentioned above... if you click on the pic there is a video with everyone doing some kata as well

http://www.japaneseswordsmanship.com.au/class_of7.html
    Last edited by jasonbrinn; 6/23/2009 1:50pm at .

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 3:21pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrinn View Post
    here is a link that contains a pic of PH learning "sword" back in 02...the pic seems to look like the same person you mentioned above... if you click on the pic there is a video with everyone doing some kata as well
    And, I would note, that the pic clearly lists Hilzinger as a beginner in 2002.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Hi guys,

A while back I got hold of an instructional DVD Sword Secrets of the Samuraiby by a self-professed master sword tactician Phillip Hilzinger who runs a dojo in Wollongong Australia. He claims to have had 40 years exclusive training with samurai clan's sword masters in Japan the sword style: Budokai ryu kenjutsu.

How vain can one get?

Idle curiosity. This is your first post? Have you not introduced yourself in Newbietown? If not, why not?

Just curious.