Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 9:42pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A couple questions about makeshift gear

I *think* this goes here, but if it doesn't, feel free to move it to the newbie area. Forgive me in advance because I may not know the actual term for the gear I'm asking questions about.

Anyways, I've been thinking about setting up a sort of ropes course on my balcony so that I can practice weaving, but I was not sure exactly how I should go about setting up said course. I would envision that the rope has to be at chin/shoulder level to simulate me weaving under people's attempts to punch me in the chin, but I am unsure. Also, does the thickness of the rope matter?

Next, I've read a topic on bullshido earlier about someone using a belt hanging off the ceiling to practice precision punching. Someone suggested to make a makeshift version of a special bag designed for this instead. It looks something like this...

Ceiling
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ( ) <--- hittable part
    |
    |
    |
    |
    floor

I remember there were recommendations on how to make a makeshift version of this bag, but I cannot find the topic that would tell me how to do it.

Again, sorry if the way I've asked my questions is kind of confusing! Thank you for your help in advance.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 12:04am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rope size is of utmost importance. The thicker the better. MAke sure it looks like this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:45am

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrm, I guess my diagram wasn't quite good enough. Fortunately, I've found an actual picture.

http://www.sphinxstore.com/upload/sp...SPA_medium.jpg

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see the need to go to the trouble of making your own double end bag, particularly since it'd be difficult to make one yourself that doesn't suck. Double end bags are not particularly expensive. Also, make sure you get some proper coaching on how to use the bag so you're not just standing in place bouncing the bag off your fists like a dope (looks at Sifu Rudy).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let the public decide.
    YouTube - Rudy Abel - Double end bag

LOL @ standing in front of a DEB pretending to slip punches while the bag marks you 50 times.
    I am the biggest fucking wanker on the internet - Proven fact.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 8:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *face palm*

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 10:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Let the public decide.
    YouTube - Rudy Abel - Double end bag

LOL @ standing in front of a DEB pretending to slip punches while the bag marks you 50 times.
    This video isn't as bad as I remember, but you seriously should consider having a boxing coach teach you how to use that thing.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 9:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, ignorance and arrogance all rolled into one post. Good job.

Let me tell you a story about that video. It was shot IN A BOXING GYM. The only things the SEVERAL BOXING COACHES would say is "great timing , Rudy." Or " How are you hitting that so many times?"

AFAIC, Hitting it a couple of times and letting it go while you bob and weave on a bag that is never going to hit you, just so it slows down enough for you to start up again, is a waste of time. You may have a different take on using that bag. Thats your preference. BUT, Its not a law that it has to be used YOUR WAY. I don't need a boxing coach to teach me something I don't believe in.

Better yet, lets see YOUR video.
    I am the biggest fucking wanker on the internet - Proven fact.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 10:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't move around the bag at all, you're totally static and don't treat the bag like a real living dangerous opponent... you treat it like a paddle ball. A big part of using bags like this is moving strategically and working with it like it is actually dangerous, not just how many times in a row you can hit the thing before missing.

If your boxing coach (and I mean you as in anyone, not you specifically) has nothing to say to you but how good you're doing, that means they're not particularly interested in coaching or helping you and you need to find yourself a new coach. Of course, if you think you're this supreme bad ass that needs no correction, you have no hope of ever getting any better no matter how much you train. I know the things I do aren't perfect, not even close, and that's why I have coaches on my ass barking at every little thing I do wrong. It's how you get better.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 6/29/2009 10:58am at .