supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Separate stretching training?

Hi,

Since I am in the overall process of intensifying my training again,
    I have repeatedly been advised by some gymnasts and JMAers that
    I should reserve one hour a week only for stretching exercises of all kind,
    rather than stretching after each training session (which is something that I, honestly, tend to skip).

Would you experts here second that recommendation,
    or do you think it's not a good idea?

Thank you in advance,

Rafe

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:45am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told that the recovery time for stretching is much longer than regular exercise, and apparently there's studies floating around suggesting stretching 1 or 2 times a week to be equally as beneficial as 4 times, for example, so after once or twice you're not really doing anything.

Personally? I did PNR stretching on my hamstrings 4 days in a row and got more 'flexible' each time. Apparently that's the stupid way of doing it, I'm told.

Edit: Don't do it before your training because it'll increase risk of injury; if you're generally skipping stretching [yeah, I hate doing it too] then maybe having a dedicated 'unavoidable stretch time' at least once a week might mean you stretch more often and get better results. Do you foamroll etc as well?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 1:45am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't do it before your training because it'll increase risk of injury
    Stretching before you train increases risk of injury ?? I can't agree with that. Stretching at the end is very good, but stretching before, IMHO, is vital to prevent injury. Pretty much all the times I've hurt myself grappling has been because I didn't stretch and warm up enough first.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedtaco View Post
    Stretching before you train increases risk of injury ?? I can't agree with that. Stretching at the end is very good, but stretching before, IMHO, is vital to prevent injury. Pretty much all the times I've hurt myself grappling has been because I didn't stretch and warm up enough first.
    It is currently a hot topic as to pre-stretching and whether it is a good or bad idea. On the PT course I did last year, it was mentioned that pre-stretching could increase risk of injury.

Personally, I never pre-stretch for any of the sports I do but I do make sure I am adequately warmed up.

Post-stretching however (IMO) is absolutely vital to recovery.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asriel,

Thanks for the info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:49pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to stretching before training, I've found that I agree with the studies that indicate that static stretching isn't helpful before hand, and can lead to injury. I generally warm up, move everything through an unstretched range of motion (to pop everything into place where necessary) and then do some dynamic stretching specific to the training. I save static stretches for post workout and off days.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to throw my vote to the side that says you SHOULD stretch before working out. Many of my injuries happen when I don't stretch particular muscles, such as my back, and stretching before definitely gives me an increased range of motion for many exercises before I begin training. I almost always make sure I am warm before stretching though. Cold streching is a bad idea.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 3:03am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just throwing this in there, one of our guys has to pre-stretch or he gets cramp during sparring. I on the other hand, pull muscles if I stretch before hand.

Different strokes for different folks perhaps?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 3:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, maybe there is not one correct answer.

I also tend to cramp up if I don't pre-stretch. Pre-stretching without also warming up sounds like a bad idea though.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went from having very poor flexibility (acute angle splits) to painless full splits which I still have at 31. I wouldn't be surprised if science figures out that everything I did was incorrect, but this is what worked for me:

1) I believe in dynamic stretching for getting your body loosened up before practice, but I believe in static stretching for when you are actually trying to increase your flexibility.

2) I stretched 6 days a week, at least a solid hour each day and my flexibility improved very quickly--basically 7 months to go from acute angle to full split. Once you get your flexibility, however, you don't need to put even 1/10th of the effort into maintaining it. Nowadays I only do serious stretching 4x a week for 15 minutes and, guesstimating, I'm probably only 2% less flexible than I was at my peak.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast