Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 3:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you talked to your doctor about the shoulder pain? Or specifically, have you talked to a sports-medicine doctor? You might've injured it at some point, and that's what's causing the pain. Or your form might just suck. Make sure you keep your shoulders set throughout the whole motion.

If it's neither of those things, just try changing things up and upping the intensity. Bent rows, isometric holds, weighted pullups, plyo pullups, chinups, side-to-side, slow pullups, ect. All the usual things you do to break through a plateau.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 3:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could also try "greasing the groove" with pullups. If you have a pullup bar at your house then make it a point to do 1-2 pullups every time you walk near it throughout the evening/day whatever. You'll end up doing 50-60+ pullups every day, but only a few at a time. Try that for a couple of weeks and see how it works.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 5:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, correct your form. I can't give you any help with that - I'm not exactly a chin-up pro myself.
    Second, if it hurts your shoulders to do chin-ups with proper form, see a physiotherapist or other sports medicine professional and get that resolved.
    Third, once you're satisfied that there's nothing health-wise that should prevent you from doing chin-ups, start applying the principle of progressive resistance. I don't know what kind of program you're doing, but doing the same sets, reps and load over and over doesn't make any sense to me.

Greasing the groove should work too, but do the above first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 10:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww View Post
    • Chest Up. Donít let your shoulders go forward: itís unhealthy for your shoulders. Lead with your chest up & keep your shoulders back.
    • Look Up. Never look down during Pull-ups & Chin-ups. Look at the bar. Look where youíre pulling yourself up to.
    My right shoulder has a bad rotator cuff, and after starting Stronglifts these two points made all the difference for me.

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 11:22pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NOt an expert here but I do a lot of pull ups. I switch up the pull up variation every 2 weeks. Ex. weeks 1 and 2 wide grip pull ups weeks 3 and 4 close grip chin ups. Negatives usually help with progress. The whole jump up(chin above bar) and slowly lower yourself all the way thing someone already mentioned earlier. Negatives really suck because they wear you out but they help with progress. I also balance pullups out with pushups of different variations.

Check with someone else (maybe a doctor or fitness expert) first, but maybe you need to do some shoulder weight lifting exercises to isolate and develope your shoulders more. Muscle imbalances will F you up when it comes to bodyweight exercises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 7:41am

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1RM/3RM = 1 rep max/3 rep max.

To echo everyone else, if it is a joint issue, then your form might be off. One common culprit is not shrugging the scapular down. How is your posture normally? (If you have winged scapula, the pullup problem could be symptomatic of other issues that need to be fixed first).

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 8:09am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may also want to try Lat Pull downs in the gym just to build your strength up enough to do the routine.

(Are you doing wide grip pull ups?)
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 6/23/2009 8:12am at .

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:42am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you 'packing' your shoulders down or are you performing reps hanging from your tendons, so to speak? Pull your shoulders down (this will cause your chest to rise, which helps with the 'stick your chest out' part) and that way you'll save yourself long-term damage. That's something my coach emphasises when I do chins (too weak for pullups). If you're able to do up to sets of 10 then I'm wondering if greasing the groove will really do much for you. It sounds like you could almost start adding weight, although honestly if you aren't progressing at all rep-wise yet you're working to failure it sounds like something strange is happening.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/26/2009 7:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all, and sorry for the late reply!
    I was off the web for a few days,
    due to this endless moving house I am stuck in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    First, correct your form. I can't give you any help with that - I'm not exactly a chin-up pro myself.
    Second, if it hurts your shoulders to do chin-ups with proper form, see a physiotherapist or other sports medicine professional and get that resolved.
    Third, once you're satisfied that there's nothing health-wise that should prevent you from doing chin-ups, start applying the principle of progressive resistance. I don't know what kind of program you're doing, but doing the same sets, reps and load over and over doesn't make any sense to me.

Greasing the groove should work too, but do the above first.
    I will do exactly as you suggested. :-)

1. Correcting/double checking my form.

2. Doctor. I used to get beaten up pretty hard at a few sparring matches this winter, maybe it's really a consequence of that.

3. Greasing.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 6:21am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree [politely and respectfully] with greasing. You can do sets now way ahead of where greasing [as I understand it] will help you, at least if you really can do sets of 10 from a dead hang. Pavel suggests doing little more than sets of 5 if you're greasing, and that should only be a mild challenge to you by this juncture.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast