Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

Style
    Choy Lee Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to Stanford Wushu & see Phillip Wong.

Go to Oakland & see Troy Dunwood.

Accept what you pay for.

Style
    n/A
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well uh..

Troy dunwood seems kind of fake.. i mean, he created it in 2005. Who is the hung gar instructor in oakland/telegraph?

Style
    Choy Lee Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stripedoctor View Post
    Troy dunwood seems kind of fake.. i mean, he created it in 2005. Who is the hung gar instructor in oakland/telegraph?
    Eh... He's not any more fake than anybody else claiming to teach drunken boxing really.

But the questions... :icon_chee

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"
    Style
    CMA, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stripedoctor View Post
    You're looking for a style (Drunken boxing) that is not an actual independent style of martial arts. There is a performance wushu category named after it, but that is performance/art forms.

This is the problem.

Style
    Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    You're looking for a style (Drunken boxing) that is not an actual independent style of martial arts. There is a performance wushu category named after it, but that is performance/art forms.

This is the problem.
    true. There is no "drunken style," only drunken forms within certain styles, such as CLF, Mantis, Tibetan White Crane,Tai Sing Pek Kwar, etc. Anything else is going to either be contemporary wu-shu, or caveat emptor. Don't go by television, articles, etc.

Style
    CMA, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    true. There is no "drunken style," only drunken forms within certain styles, such as CLF, Mantis, Tibetan White Crane,Tai Sing Pek Kwar, etc. Anything else is going to either be contemporary wu-shu, or caveat emptor. Don't go by television, articles, etc.
    Exactly.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Troy Dunwoods "Drunken Boxing"

Hello gentlemen, I am new to this forum and would like to clear up some ideas you have about Troy Dunwood and his Drunken Boxing. I have studied with Sifu Dunwood for over 7 years in the 8 Immortals style and it is real. If you watch movies and assume that that is how it really is then I will be happy to sell you some snake oil and a very large bridge. Just because a certain style is not in the mainstream does not mean that it does not exist. I use to think Dogg Style was a made up style but in fact is a sytem of chinese ground fighting and can be very effective depending on the practitioner. Which leads me to say it is more about a persons dedication and hard work than the style itself. Sife Dunwood is an excellent teacher and invite anyone to check his art out. Going to the source will clear up a lot of miscommunication and may bring us to have more healthier conversations in the future.

Style
    CMA, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkard View Post
    Hello gentlemen, I am new to this forum and would like to clear up some ideas you have about Troy Dunwood and his Drunken Boxing. I have studied with Sifu Dunwood for over 7 years in the 8 Immortals style and it is real.
    Do you have any lineage documents, old chinese tournament records, pictures, illustrations or any historical evidence to support your claim?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Do you have any lineage documents, old chinese tournament records, pictures, illustrations or any historical evidence to support your claim?
    Do they ever ? ... well ... do they ever produce what they claim to have ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkard View Post
    Hello gentlemen, I am new to this forum and would like to clear up some ideas you have about Troy Dunwood and his Drunken Boxing.
    I have no problem with Troy Dunwood.

I have studied with Sifu Dunwood for over 7 years in the 8 Immortals style and it is real. If you watch movies and assume that that is how it really is then I will be happy to sell you some snake oil and a very large bridge.
    You are on the wrong board. We know the difference between kung fu movies and real kung fu.

Just because a certain style is not in the mainstream does not mean that it does not exist.
    There are many esoteric styles that aren't public. Mainstream has nothing to do with Drunken existing as an independent style.

I use to think Dogg Style was a made up style but in fact is a sytem of chinese ground fighting and can be very effective depending on the practitioner.
    It is made up based on movies and Wushu that have actions related to dogs. Dog boxing is a ground sweeping and kicking style. Yes, we know we actually have a thread discussing this art. Again this has nothing to do with the proof of Drunken existing.

Which leads me to say it is more about a persons dedication and hard work than the style itself. Sife Dunwood is an excellent teacher and invite anyone to check his art out. Going to the source will clear up a lot of miscommunication and may bring us to have more healthier conversations in the future.
    No, it will not. I do enjoy how you cleared up nothing about Drunken. Actually, you tried to make it murkier. No one said he couldn't teach. No one said he was a fraud. We said drunken is not a legit indepedent style.

There are drunken sets in many arts. Now, if Mr. Dunwood's teacher put together these sets and called it Drunken that is okay with me. It puts it in the realm of Sifu named Karate styles. In other words like Machida Karate. Machida family took Shotokan absorbed a myriad of other styles and now market it as Machida Karate.

No, not exactly the same but, most will understand my example.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/11/2009 9:14am at .

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last