Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 4:34pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Plus the clinch rules on the street.
    I'll take your word for that. I live in New York, and I'd never want to get that close to these diseased bastards.

Regarding the original question, the IKF has the most complete and specific set of rules I've found in writing: http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/RulesMT.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as far as i know, in NZ anyway, you can throw someone over your foot- i.e. posting your foot into the ground and twisting someone so they trip over it, or over your knee- just not over the hip, because then it counts as a hip throw.

theyre pretty fast and loose with the rules down here though. apparently backcracking is illegal too but i see it all the time.

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 10:46pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same in Australia, i've seen full blown suplexes, hip throws, obvious foot trips (me) not even get a warning from the ref. Changes at the the high pro level but the amateur fights are very flexible with the rules.

I'm pretty sure spinning backfists are illegal too but you see them at least once a fight show. As long as the fight looks something like muay thai and the crowd likes it the refs don't seem to care.

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from talking with Cheetah and the other guys, anytime you use your leg it needs to be a knee-strike or a kick. It that means you trip them or even if you knee-lift them into a throw, it is ok if the knee was a hit. Basically, any kicking/kneeing sweep is fine even if you are holding onto their leg.

To specifically setup a throw, as in you clinch and then turn for a hip-toss, is illegal; but if your aggressive, striking actions cause the opponent to fall-fine.

Alot has to do with the sanctioning body and the ref's interpretation but the safest bet is that you do not use your foot to hook or reap against your opponent, you do not pick them up or execute any kind of loading of your opponent into a throw. If you punch them and then immediately follow with a low kick that is essentially a sweep-takedown that is fine, if you have them in a clinch and you are able to out-muscle them so that they fall/fly thru the air-very nice!

sorry if I went on...I've been trying to glean as much as I can on this exact subject.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 12:22am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Pajunsuk Highlight

Pajunsuk is a good example of muay thai style throws usually done with doubleunderhooks. Pulling them (not lifting) off balance, sometimes over your own leg, but never turned around like a full blown hip throw. I see instep style sweeps all the time in thai style fights as well, especially from Sanchai.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I truly hope they liberalize these rules some day. It makes for a more entertaining fight, and better SD training.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 2:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the smaller differences are based on sanctioning body and refs. I love MT clinch and used to get away with as much as I possibly could. Usually I could push it a lot farther under IKF rules than ISKA rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 7:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure spinning backfists are illegal too but you see them at least once a fight show
    No, they're permitted in FTR, but not usually Mod Thai fights, although they're really more a kickboxing move than a MT one.

Yeah, in Oz some of the smaller shows you see refs let through some pretty questionable throws and sweeps AND judges giving fighters rounds for them too. In my experience, it's usually with the kickboxing refs/judges who still don't understand MT rules properly. Unfortunately, reffing and judging are pretty thankless, low-paying jobs, so you have to just deal with the fact that you'll often be fighting under the guise of some crappy officials and make the best of it.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 4:27pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's surprising to me how difficult it has been for me to find MT throw instuctional clips on Youtube. Outside of throws being done in actual fights I haven't had any luck.
    安氏八极拳学生
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12