Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 1:45am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want into the CIA my suggestion would be just apply directly. Your young enough to work your way up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 2:50am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really? I was thinking it might be good to get experience/get smarter/have the respect.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 3:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD & TaiJi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and no. Everybody loves to do their own Indoc. The FBI for example, doesn't take military clearence into account, you have to go through their clearence procedures reguardless. From what I remember from my seperation breifings the CIA is more interested in college degrees than military experiance.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 9:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you want to work in the "Human Intel" community, IE on the ground operating in a combat/conflict environment amongst the locals (expect to be required to learn Arabic) or, within an accademic community (or a little of both) ?

Human Int will most likely see you working within a SF community in a support capacity.

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taijiamn View Post
    Yes and no. Everybody loves to do their own Indoc. The FBI for example, doesn't take military clearence into account, you have to go through their clearence procedures reguardless. From what I remember from my seperation breifings the CIA is more interested in college degrees than military experiance.
    All U.S. agencies now honor the clearances from other agencies, but this is a pretty new development. Everything else is still true.
    DIA is hiring like mad trying to fill positions for the new African Command, so now would be a great time to apply.
    The intelligence program in the U.S. Airforce is honestly pretty bad, and if you wanted to get into Human Intelligence you're out of luck because they don't directly do it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a MI job, got off active duty from the army in 07.. I agree with alot of what you guys are saying here, looks like its all good advice. As far as the ASVAB goes, I believe its a GT score of 110 that qualifies you for a intel job.

I'm not sure if you talked to a recruiter yet, but if you didn't, don't be fooled by some hype when you go into talk to them. Realize that the majority of initial 'regular' (by regular, i mean non SF, Spec OPS) intel jobs are 'sit behind the desk jobs.' Not that there is anything wrong with that, if thats what you want to do. Yes, you do get to go out to the field, but depending what level your at, you most likely would be in a "big tent"..

I bring this up because when I went in as a stupid 17 year-old, my recruiter described the intel job that a SF soilder would be doing. Needless to say, it wasn't quit what I expected. But, I still had fun and enjoyed it.

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 12:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No Trainee, No more.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in the Army (88-91) I aced the ASVAB but I understand they changed the test dramatically. I went the infantry route and ended up serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment (An Airborne Ranger). I only mention all of this because I haven't read anything regarding your need for a security clearance yet. I would imagine a 'secret' clearance would be needed at the minimum for Intel.

If you have any skeletons in your closet, air those puppies out. If the stripper you have tattooed on your bicep has a crack addiction, get that bitch removed! Make sure your friends are 'clean and clear' or you can distance yourself early, hopefully with their blessings. I was told if my guidance councilor and school principal thought I was an OK guy, I was generally good.

Then comes the police background checks, both local and state. Speeding tickets, unpaid parking tickets, other moving violations, even that awkward shoplifting incident when you were 12 that is supposedly sealed. When it comes to national security there is no such thing as a sealed record. I don’t mean to deter you, only prepare you. A recruiter would be the best person to ask about all of this, he would have better information than I do.

Thank you for considering helping out our country in her time of need. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 5:55pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For any intel position, expect it to require a TS/SCI. Hell, even HUMINT's going that way if it hasn't already.

Not all MI positions are desk jobs. I've done my share of spinnin' and grinnin' over the years, but it was usually on the ass end of some hill in Bosnia or some corner of Baghdad, to say nothing of all the other **** I've been tasked out for.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusMagus View Post
    Thank you so much for your help.

Also: my training in logic really doesn't go up THAT high it's just that I really studied the basics well and symbolic. Unfortunately the best professors at my college don't teach the logic classes so it seems hopeless for me there. But I will try some of those classes if I get the chance.

Almost everyone I ask tells me to do air force, so I may try to stick with that.
    I'll just have to see just how good I can do on that test and keep studying for the LSAT so I can take that too just in case this falls through.
    Have you considered legal (ie: JAG)? Obviously you are not a lawyer at present, but it might be worth looking at other MOS in the JAG corps. Who knows, you might end up getting them to pay for you to go to law school, which would be worth a mint.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123