Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Walther P22/SIG Mosquito Quality Problems?

I've been looking for a P22 for my son, and I notice others here doing the same. Lately, though, I'm hearing Very Bad Things about the quality of the P22, as well as the SIG Mosquito, another popular .22 handgun labeled with the name of a famous European gun maker.

I've been told that both these models are actually built by Umarex, a well-known German manufacturer of "gas guns," pellet guns, and toys. I haven't been able to confirm that.

What apparently is true is that the slides on these things are cast from Zamak (read "zinc alloy"--grainy, brittle metal with a tendency toward cracking and fracturing.) People are reporting that the slides don't hold up under extended use with standard .22lr ammunition--one gentleman reported three (!) broken slides, all in the same manner: the forward serrations form stress points in the casting, and a crack begins at the corner of the serrations, then travels upward until, if you keep shooting, it reaches a point where the slide completely fractures into two separate parts. That's not only kind of disgusting for a gun with the Walther or SIG name on it, but also unsafe.

This has me taking another look at the smallest 4" Ruger MkIII 22/45, which at least has a smaller grip than my MkI with the old "Ruger Luger" grip angle. Might have to look at a Buckmark, too, but I'm a little worried about the P22 now. Whatever we get, I intend to shoot the hell out of it.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...-dont-get.html

Note especially "Dr. Strangegun." This guy is a methodical and detail-oriented amateur gunsmith, and when he says he's examined three broken slides and they all broke in the same place, I believe him. The unfortunate thing about that particular problem is that they could just have left the serrations off the front and avoided it altogether, so if it's true, it makes me wonder how much quality testing they did.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 12:47pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have put about 800 rounds though my friends P22 without any noticeable issues. This was over the course of 3 range outings. I assume he cleaned it in-between. I'll keep an eye out for any problems.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 3:16pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own a Ruger 22/45. with a 5.5" bull barrel. It's a very accurate plinker, easy to use, and quite reliable. Durability isn't a question, either.

The only negative I can find, is that disassembly is a good bit more complex than your average semiautomatic pistol.

As for the Walther P22, it was the early production models that had the cracking problems. Supposedly, the problem has been fixed.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 10:27pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry View Post
    I own a Ruger 22/45. with a 5.5" bull barrel. It's a very accurate plinker, easy to use, and quite reliable. Durability isn't a question, either.

The only negative I can find, is that disassembly is a good bit more complex than your average semiautomatic pistol.

As for the Walther P22, it was the early production models that had the cracking problems. Supposedly, the problem has been fixed.
    My Ruger Mark III 22/45 requires a rubber mallet to disassemble. WTF is up with that.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 11:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's interesting. I wonder where the changeover was supposed to have happened? I frankly was not paying attention.

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 6:03pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I heard they fixed the P22 as well.
    However, I wouldn't know myself because it's been years since I've fired anything in .22.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:23am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mosquito Problems abound, but Sig is cool about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    SIG Mosquito, another popular .22 handgun labeled with the name of a famous European gun maker.

Don,

I can't say that I have seen any of the cracking and breaking you are talking about however I can talk a bit about the Sig Mosquito. I encouraged my friend Zack to pick up a used one when we found one for pretty cheap at one of the national gun stores recently. ~1 year ago~ We took it home and cleaned it and noticed that with the slightest jostle the slide would slam closed. So we took it back, and their gunsmith adjusted the slide release and proclaimed it was "fixed" so we tested it and it was certainly not what I would expect from a Sig (I own 2 a P6 and a P220) but it was functional.
    Next we took the little guy to the range and tried to fire some cheaper ammuniton through it. No dice all of the cheap stuff caused it to jam on the second or third round, with either a stove pipe or failure to eject. That would be fine with cheap ammon in a combat tuned gun with heavy springs. However it is a 22 plinker so we put in some of the expensive CCI ammo and voila the damn this is unstoppable. Ok but that still sucks because it is a plinker and no one wants to pay $10.00 for 50 rounds for a skills gun.
    Finally I was fed up so I called Sig to raise hell with them. They were super nice about the whole thing and even though the gun was second hand they replaced Zack's gun with a new one after we shipped it back for them to look at it. This is not typical behavior so my guess is that they realized the pistol was defective from the start. They shipped him a gen 2 mosquito and it worked really well no jamming solid slide release and it is accurate. If I were shopping for one I would do my homework. I would look for the one with the extended barrel, that is the Gen 2 ones. I would also consider buying a browning buckmark instead It is a very well refined design, accurate and a very good choice.
    Last edited by Planktime; 6/24/2009 10:30am at .

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 11:15am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've rented a P-22 for my kid at the range and it's undoubtedly been through hell. I've only had a FTF once, and that was because it was extremely dirty.

We've probably put a thousand rounds through that otherwise with no problems.

I have heard really bad things about the Sig though.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 1:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad it sounds like the 2nd generation of each of these things is improved, but it sounds like SIG and Walther (and by extension Smith and Wesson) are taking real reputation hits on this. I had no idea.

I love used guns, but the lesson I'm getting here is that if I do decide to get a P22 or a Mosquito, I have to go new or at least make sure I'm getting the 2nd generation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast