Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 2:41am

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Northern Shaolin Praying Mantis Kung Fu in Wheelers Hill

Hey,

Some people may know that I created a thread to find BJJ school. I have found one, but my parents seem happy with my school.

I would like to determine if this school is BS, an inferior style or whatever.

The website is www.sdca.com.au and it is the senior/junior kung fu. It also says that SDCA instructors have to pass a rigorous course of 10 online lessons... Not sure about the KF instructors.

The head instructor (who NEVER teaches classes that I have participated in, fair enough if it is because I still do junior classes.)

I would like to run down a typical class as a measure. Classes are one hour.

WARM UP
    -Begin with a warm up, stretching the major muscles and muscle groups.
    -Squats, calf raises, push ups and sit ups follow. (40 each usually)
    -Basic techniqe exercises. For those who aren't familiar it is just short range straight and circular punches, elbows, side, roundhouse and front kicks all to the air. Apart from being into the air, the actual technique seems sound, the instructors have quite good technique and I am confident in my kicking ability and that.
    -Strikes (closed fist and spear hand) from a horse stance to build leg strength passively.
    -Punches and kicks and blocks with stepping.
    -Forms. L-form, basic eight and free from battle. (might need a kung fu expert to know what they are.)

After the warm up (usually between 20 and 30 minutes.) and run by a senior black sash (two white stripes) student, or an instructor we do one of two things.

TRAINING
    Option 1- Circuit. Done 3 times a term. Consists of bag work, speed balls, skipping, level training, and occasionally focus mitts or kick shields.

Option 2- Level training. Most common. Students break off, one instructor to a group and practise the techniques, forms and that specific to their level. In this training, all self defense techniques are done against compliant opponents and their is no bag/mitt/shield work. I was told off once when the instructor was taking someone threw a long form that I was not required to know and went to the speedball on a rope next to it.

GROUP WORK
    Things that the whole class does. We do one of three things.

Option 1- Mats. We do breakfalls and rolls i.e. forward side roll to a short range punch.

Option 2- 2 man drills. ALWAYS compliant. Usually repititive punches and blocks with stepping.

Option 3- Form work. Work on forms, instructors correct technical errors as we go.

WE HAVE DONE NO SPARRING, OR ANY 'ALIVE' DRILLS. HOWEVER I HAVE SEEN HEAD GEAR AND ALL THAT IN THE GEAR CUPBOARD.

Well that was a rather long winded description of a junior class. I am old enough to do senior classes now, I will view a few of these and report back. I asked a senior student who attends most senior classes and he says that they do sparring 'all the time.' But the aforementioned gear looks rather dusty, and does not look like it has moved a lot.

Please post you responses ASAP. I will also run down the senior classes when I can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 5:39am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    Hey,

Some people may know that I created a thread to find BJJ school. I have found one, but my parents seem happy with my school.

I would like to determine if this school is BS, an inferior style or whatever.

The website is www.sdca.com.au and it is the senior/junior kung fu. It also says that SDCA instructors have to pass a rigorous course of 10 online lessons... Not sure about the KF instructors.

The head instructor (who NEVER teaches classes that I have participated in, fair enough if it is because I still do junior classes.)

I would like to run down a typical class as a measure. Classes are one hour.

WARM UP
    -Begin with a warm up, stretching the major muscles and muscle groups.
    -Squats, calf raises, push ups and sit ups follow. (40 each usually)
    -Basic techniqe exercises. For those who aren't familiar it is just short range straight and circular punches, elbows, side, roundhouse and front kicks all to the air. Apart from being into the air, the actual technique seems sound, the instructors have quite good technique and I am confident in my kicking ability and that.
    -Strikes (closed fist and spear hand) from a horse stance to build leg strength passively.
    -Punches and kicks and blocks with stepping.
    -Forms. L-form, basic eight and free from battle. (might need a kung fu expert to know what they are.)

After the warm up (usually between 20 and 30 minutes.) and run by a senior black sash (two white stripes) student, or an instructor we do one of two things.

TRAINING
    Option 1- Circuit. Done 3 times a term. Consists of bag work, speed balls, skipping, level training, and occasionally focus mitts or kick shields.

Option 2- Level training. Most common. Students break off, one instructor to a group and practise the techniques, forms and that specific to their level. In this training, all self defense techniques are done against compliant opponents and their is no bag/mitt/shield work. I was told off once when the instructor was taking someone threw a long form that I was not required to know and went to the speedball on a rope next to it.

GROUP WORK
    Things that the whole class does. We do one of three things.

Option 1- Mats. We do breakfalls and rolls i.e. forward side roll to a short range punch.

Option 2- 2 man drills. ALWAYS compliant. Usually repititive punches and blocks with stepping.

Option 3- Form work. Work on forms, instructors correct technical errors as we go.

WE HAVE DONE NO SPARRING, OR ANY 'ALIVE' DRILLS. HOWEVER I HAVE SEEN HEAD GEAR AND ALL THAT IN THE GEAR CUPBOARD.

Well that was a rather long winded description of a junior class. I am old enough to do senior classes now, I will view a few of these and report back. I asked a senior student who attends most senior classes and he says that they do sparring 'all the time.' But the aforementioned gear looks rather dusty, and does not look like it has moved a lot.

Please post you responses ASAP. I will also run down the senior classes when I can.
    Seems like you're answering your own questions there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 6:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah seems that way. Don't know how old you are, but overprotective parents can be a bitch to convince on your own.

So yeah. It might not work, but MA is a real passion of mine, and if I love the idea of it at some bad school, it should show you my desire to learn for a long time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:54am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overprotective parents means that they don't want you to get hurt, right ? Find out what they equate with you getting hurt - grappling or striking. Visually, it's easy to tell.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you posted this in the wrong forum, unless you want to start an investigation of the school. did you read the stickies? you have 96 posts, so i would have expected you to have read them by now.

what is your point? it sounds like a pretty typical kung fu school, based on what you told us it could be great or total crap.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:46am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's as "Legit" as any Kung Fu school. His lineage is sound, his credentials appear to be in order. His instructor is real and can be reached with questions at Lin Tzi Chiang: tchiangl at 2009wccm dot com.
    That being said, there is no sparringso whatever you are learning is going to be completely useless to you in any non-compliant situation. If your parents are worried about you getting injured you can always point to the lower injury rate of BJJ compared to Football (American or European, whatever) or Rugby...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. Yeah the lack of sparring is an issue, I had a feeling the sifu was sound, but as he never teaches...

Sorry I put this in the wrong place, I will have a better look at the stickies.

My folks are worried about the idea of me just going in with a guy who wants to kick the **** out of me. Please don't act like I don't know it is coming from a good place ok?

Also the insurance is a problem. In Pradel Serey (that I will also be taking, hopefully) there is a chance I will get injured, and then their is the payments for being treated, and that is something my parents haven't had to deal with since I did footy ages ago.