STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I'm not totally sure how Sefo punches, but yeah I try to turn my fist all the way over so that the knuckle of my thumb is pointed towards the ground.
    YouTube - Ray Sefo Highlights

at about 1:50 is a few good examples. this is the way we get taught to punch, in a kind of exxagerated overhand to move your head out of the way, raise the shoulder, and smother the other persons punches as well as they come in. Sefo does (or did) do this particularly well. i know its saved my ass in all of my fights so far because i have pretty horrible head movement most of the time

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My boxing coach would probably throw a fit if I leaned over when throwing an over hand like that, though I do try to move my head off at an angle when I punch.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:24pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    My boxing coach would probably throw a fit if I leaned over when throwing an over hand like that, though I do try to move my head off at an angle when I punch.
    I was taught to throw an overhand in that way too. In fact, I remember being told to try and land it on the pad thumb-first.

Question for you KS, is there any particular motion/pattern you try to get in your head movement while punching? I'm interested in particular while throwing more than 1 straight punch in a row.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    I was taught to throw an overhand in that way too. In fact, I remember being told to try and land it on the pad thumb-first.

Question for you KS, is there any particular motion/pattern you try to get in your head movement while punching? I'm interested in particular while throwing more than 1 straight punch in a row.
    One of my big problems is that I get stuck in one place after slipping/defending. I've started working a little with the boxing coach on learning how to shoulder roll strategically and get more comfortable pivoting around and stepping off so that I set myself up at good offensive/defensive angles after throwing and defending. I try to stay away from getting into any kind of head movement patterns to avoid predictability. As someone who's primarily been doing muaythai, my head movement hasn't gotten a ton of good practice so it's definitely an area I will be improving as I do more and more training with the boxing coach.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice hands!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post

Funny enough , my beloved and sneaky ridge hand has mutated into a handy and heavy overhand right under my recent instructor ... in boxing gloves it hits thumbpads first .

He likes it .

.. not that anyone cares but when I double up on straight punches my head wants to move down right back - ish ... which sucks as it is predictable and I get seriously tangled in the hips when I try to change it up ... something in the foot work , hips , shoulders , head alignment and center of gravity ...

Nice vid KS , I don't have much of anything to add except thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good use of your hips in your punches

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 7:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got a couple of guys at the "dojo" going to world classics also, good luck!
    I dunno if this is a matter of style, but my boxing coach would ask you to bring up your shoulder more on each hooks, just like how you are supposed to with jabs.

Just curious, its kind of a personal question but do you have your training paid for? Or do you still pay?

You guys/girls with your overhands, question for you:

I've only used it a couple of times in sparring with guys my height or shorter. Worked nicely but usually landing on forehead.

I almost never spar anyone with a shorter reach than me and it almost never works unless I set it up properly. And usually when its set up, its better to throw a normal straight. How do you guys make it work with these kind of guys? Or do you at all?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 9:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely I should be bringing my shoulders up more on my punches. It's something I've been trying to work on and I've been getting better at making sure I do it little by little. It's taking me some time since I've gone a long time with out having coaches nit pick these sorts of things for me.

Some training we get for free, though 2 of the 3 gyms I train at are VERY commercial and don't give a **** if you fight or not. The boxing coach does give us a lot of free one on one training, though after training at X-3 (the gym he teaches out of) for about a month the gym owners really wanted us to sign a contract and start paying. The gym we teach muaythai out of we get to train at for free, of course, though where I do most of my muaythai training I have to pay.

As far as overhands go, keep in mind that it's intent is mostly as an inside punch. It's sneaky and should come over the top while the other person has their head turned some so they can't see it coming and it lands on the side of the jaw. In that way, the overhand is more of a KO punch than a straight in my opinion. The punch that knocks you out is the one you don't see coming.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 10:29pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll work out some trickeries to see if I can blindside overhands, esp since I'm a southpaw. Rear overhands are generally gonna be on my opponent's good side; maybe thats why they haven't worked that well. Maybe I'll start an overhand thread.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast