Posted On:
    8/18/2009 7:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hard sparring in Korea

Ashamed to post this, but check it out.

Look at the heart this kid's got. His name is Choi. I'm going like 85%, and he's probably going 95-100%, but my 85% is probably like his 110%.

I need to keep my goddamn hands up. (ruptured eardrum now--I was moving away from it but it caught my jaw to my ear)) And learn to move sideways defensively. And I'm still not used to this Muay Thai leg kick distancing-- so instead of moving away, tricking, etc, I stand there taking all the kicks and all I can do is kick back.)

I realized I'm a bit too nice and have too much remorse. When the opportunity arises, I stop applying pressure after a while. I don't think I'll take my amatuer career very far. Maybe just a couple of bouts.. But thats besides the point. Except for a couple of times I'm bullying on this kid with my kicks, but I'm always impressed on how he keeps coming back. He could use a bit more experience however. .

Please tell me if Choi is doing anything that I'm not catching. Like how I caught that head kick. And if I am doing anything stupid. Like catching that head kick.

YouTube - Sparring in Korea

PS: how do you post youtube videos and not just a link?
    Last edited by dwkfym; 8/18/2009 7:45pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 4:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aw, I'm about to get off work and no replies? I know I'm doing some things noticably bad, like dropping my right hand.. please critique!

I'm the guy in red btw.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 8:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you've already mentioned the dropping the lead hand and the not checking leg kicks, but a few observations.

1. you shadowbox alot when you spar - by this i mean you're throwing techniques that have no chance of hitting because you're too far away. dont be afraid to step in and commit.

2. the minute you get inside you step back out to 'shadowboxing range'. punching combinations work beautifully on the inside (i always preferred a punching combination and/or dirty boxing to knees)-- yes i noticed a bit later you started to do it a little.. do it more.

3. Nice kicks, but the side on stance doesn't lend itself well to a thai style kick. but then again, i suppose that's more a matter of preference, it's still allowed.

4. (related to 2) when you do stay inside for a bit longer you throw punches almost exclusively at his gloves. throwing some shots to his body would do more damage at this point.. and make those hands come down.

5. your rear-hand straight is more of a push than a punch at some points. work on using those legs to snap the hip, and then the shoulder, round faster. then you'll rock him without even going hard..also sometimes you dont leave yourself enough room to extend it fully

6. turn into those body shots more with the hip and shoulder, it was reminiscent of chain punching

..hope something in there helps

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 8:46am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of your sparring problems are a direct result of not training in a ring, you really need to get one for your gym if you don't already.

Some things i noticed:
    * Both of your defenses consist entirely of backing up directly backwards or shelling up, both of these will get you really hurt in a ring fight.
    * You are being very predictable and throwing the same combination (switch leg kick, rear kick) 10+ times a round, you will quickly meet someone who checks the first kick then times your rear kick with a straight right.
    * You are wasting some really good opportunities every time you backup after a good switch leg kick, if you place your foot down outside his leg and cut the angle you'll be in a great position. A combination that will work well for your height is switch leg kick, cut the angle, straight left to head, lead hook to body, rear kick.

Thanks for putting the video up, haven't seen Korean MT before :)
    Last edited by Sang; 8/19/2009 9:04am at .

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off-topic, but: I have those same boxing gloves you're using. I only use them for the bag, because they're like a pair of rocks to get hit with. Just a thought for your partners!

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found them alright. They aren't the everlast cheapo gloves. (they look like it though-I have those cheap gloves I use for bagwork also) Only 14 oz though. They were the biggest pair the gym had. (left all my **** stateside)
    Last edited by dwkfym; 8/19/2009 6:03pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. I need to work on my side movements. There is a ring at one o the gyms I train at back stateside, so hopefully that'll fix my "moving straight back" defense. I sparred a forward-rusher that fought like a tank the other day and I realized that I really have to learn to sidestep + pivot.

I need to add real snap and power to my rear hand. I think it is the result of just tossing my hand out there in combinations that lead to kicks.

Sang I've never approached the combos like that before - leading in with outside lead kicks. I'll work on that on the bag and try it out next time.

Please post up if anyone sees anything else.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun,aikido takemusu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good video

Nothing to be ashamed about with that.
    Its good sparring, one person lacks strategy though.
    Strategy is an important part.
    Nothing wrong with that Muay Thai at all.
    The problem with Mui Thai though is it kind of requires the opponent to agree with Muay Thai rules.
    If they don't the Muay Thai fighter is stuck pounding the legs that aren't there.
    But its a good sparring video.

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 12:40am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come along to the next Australia Throwdown Button, two pints of beer says i can pound your legs even if you choose to spar in a handstand position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 10:46am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by button_hater View Post
    The problem with Mui Thai though is it kind of requires the opponent to agree with Muay Thai rules.
    If they don't the Muay Thai fighter is stuck pounding the legs that aren't there.
    what?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast