Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 2:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    The thing that is driving my frustration and disbelief is that his claim (true or not) of cognitive and physical disability has the effect of moving his entire story towards unfalsifiability. Any inconsistency in the story can be explained away as an "honest mistake" for someone with a TBI; No requests can be made for video of Matt executing techniques to verify any claims of past training/expertise because he is physically disabled; No irrational lapses in judgement can be pointed to as evidence that the story doesn't make sense "because of his condition".

All I can say is this: If you have a story that is not Falsifiable ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability ) then you have a story that can not be established either, even if it is true.

This story is either Flase, or it is unverifiable, and hence should not be believed by any rational person.
    Boy, I could have a field day with this but, I'm going to wait until everything is in and on the thread.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Boy, I could have a field day with this but, I'm going to wait until everything is in and on the thread.
    I'm assuming you mean something other than having a field day with my reasoning. It is sound.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing that is driving my frustration and disbelief is that his claim (true or not) of cognitive and physical disability has the effect of moving his entire story towards unfalsifiability. Any inconsistency in the story can be explained away as an "honest mistake" for someone with a TBI; No requests can be made for video of Matt executing techniques to verify any claims of past training/expertise because he is physically disabled; No irrational lapses in judgement can be pointed to as evidence that the story doesn't make sense "because of his condition".

All I can say is this: If you have a story that is not Falsifiable ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability ) then you have a story that can not be established either, even if it is true.

This story is either Flase, or it is unverifiable, and hence should not be believed by any rational person.
    Lottery paradox in a fun new way!
    Last edited by Zapruder; 6/23/2009 2:55pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 3:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's be clear: Taken twice -- Once by Thompson and once by Garcia, who both happen, coincidentally, to give .jpg's instead of certificates, and are both equally bad at "Photoshopping", and are both in the military.

Do you really think someone who believes a BJJ BB can be earned in this manner, in what sounds to be weeks or months of training, should be teaching anyone anything?

Do you really believe a Judoka (no one is questioning that) would accept BB rank in anything, much less a martial art with such close ties to Judo, without progressing through any lower belts?

I'm sorry, but its too much, and from too many different directions to be believed.

good points though consider:

Tweedle dee and tweedle dum could be working together on this enterprise. Making them in essence both involved with the same process of JPG ology. Thats not far fetched.

Your other points are good albiet there could be some caveats. I don't want to play devil's advocate on that account though.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Tweedle dee and tweedle dum could be working together on this enterprise. Making them in essence both involved with the same process of JPG ology. Thats not far fetched.
    No aspect of Matt's story so far supports the idea that the training for the two certs took place in the same time frame, or even in the same part of the world. This issue has been raised before, and he has never indicated there was any connection between these guys or that they even knew each other.

Will the story conveniently shift in that direction? Stay tuned.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 3:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    good points though consider:

This has already been floated and discussed. Yes, it is a possibility. It is also a possibility that he is lying. It is also a possibility that these guys don't exist. It is also a possibility they will say he knew it was a seminar. It could come out that there is a whole crew of these guys defrauding injured vets. These guys could straight up be frauds. These guys could have known he has poor memory and used that to their benefit.

We need to stop playing the what if game and see what happens.

Your other points are good albiet there could be some caveats. I don't want to play devil's advocate on that account though.
    Dude seriously, you are already playing Devil's advocate. The problem is, every point you make, see above, I can counter form the other side. That's why I'm saying let's wait until everything is in.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 5:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    There is no point to speculation of how it went down. Mr. Morton can simply TELL us how it went down, and who did it. Then we will seek out the responsible parties and and write the appropriate article.

If he got fleeced, then we can write an article showing how it happened. It all hinges on the quantity and quality of the information HE gives us.

Otherwise we simply have to draw conclusions based upon the information we already have.
    ...and this is why Scrapper is staff. This my point much clearer. Thank you. Seriously guys, at some point I'm going to call all of this as it isn't germane to the topic and will lead to 800 more posts.

I'm including myself in this derail not singling anyone out specifically.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 5:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has already been floated and discussed. Yes, it is a possibility. It is also a possibility that he is lying. It is also a possibility that these guys don't exist. It is also a possibility they will say he knew it was a seminar. It could come out that there is a whole crew of these guys defrauding injured vets. These guys could straight up be frauds. These guys could have known he has poor memory and used that to their benefit.

We need to stop playing the what if game and see what happens.

Dude seriously, you are already playing Devil's advocate. The problem is, every point you make, see above, I can counter form the other side. That's why I'm saying let's wait until everything is in.
    Agreed 100%

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 8:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
    I'm sorry guys, have been away and only just came across this by accident. Has this been sorted out?

The only Black Belt I know of that has been awarded by Roger in the UK is Nic Gregoriades

owner of the Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood website(s).

If it's still necessary I can check Matt's credentials out easily.
    Hi Asriel...
    How dare you have a life when there's an investigation going on?
    Matt's cert has been dismissed as a forgery, and by Matt's admission, he got it from a friend, never tested for it etc.
    Currently, members are trying to get the identity of the certificate issuer from Matt.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    Hi Asriel...
    How dare you have a life when there's an investigation going on?
    Matt's cert has been dismissed as a forgery, and by Matt's admission, he got it from a friend, never tested for it etc.
    Currently, members are trying to get the identity of the certificate issuer from Matt.
    You could have just PM'd me several pages ago and I could have actually have been some use around here *sniff*
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast