北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydeth View Post
    Wow. A 2007 join date with only 14 posts. And you de-lurk for a fail pic! Weird.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 5:52pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I joined in '07?? I didn't even know that. I have lurked a lot though before joining in recently. I sort of feel like a stalker of all you regular Bullies. Hope you enjoyed the failicity.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 7:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lesnar = douche gsp= GOD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 8:46pm

Style: Wrestling, WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by junkielectric View Post
    Second, if any other fighter besides a "vindicated" Lesnar had flipped off the crowd, what would you be saying? That it's his right? No, that's bad taste, bad PR, any for any other fighter would be at least a fine. Obviously, no word yet on what, if anything, happens to Lesnar.
    It's funny that you mentioned this. I saw an article today that used this same argument, but to defend Lesnar:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

The key portion of the article was this one:

When Lesnar stepped out of the dressing room for his first match with Mir in February 2008, no debuting fighter in UFC history was ever so heavily booed. At that point, he had done nothing to be judged on in his UFC career – except that in his two previous careers, as a college wrestler for the University of Minnesota and as a pro wrestler for World Wrestling Entertainment, he had risen to the top.

The reaction was entirely based on the fact that he was a pro wrestler coming into the UFC. The reaction came from a fan base that judged him as somehow different from the pro wrestlers who came before him into UFC.

Of course, none of the former pro wrestlers came into the company with so much publicity and such a rich contract. None walked in with the sort of name value and curiosity which led to what was, at the time, among the most purchased pay-per-view shows in company history.

This is not a defense of anything he did after the fight. But the reaction to Lesnar’s postfight comments and his flipping the bird at fans is just the latest example of a double standard Lesnar has faced in his MMA career.

What if the Lesnar and Dan Henderson fights and postfights on Saturday night were transposed? If Lesnar had thrown that totally legal but devastating second blow on an already knocked-out foe – and remarked in his interview that he was doing it to shut Mir’s mouth – people would have spent the past week demanding that he be banned from the sport. And would Henderson have gotten nearly Lesnar’s heat if he had pulled the same postfight antics as Lesnar?

You want to deny there’s a double standard here?

As Georges St. Pierre continually took down Thiago Alves in their welterweight title fight, the crowd cheered every takedown. Even when St. Pierre wasn’t doing damage on the ground, he was being cheered wildly the entire fight.

In Round 2, as Lesnar had Mir on the ground and was punching his face in less than 30 seconds before the fight was over, there was a loud chant aimed at referee Herb Dean of “stand them up.”

This was a first in UFC history. Not the chant itself, but it being done when a fighter was pummeling the other and actually seconds away from winning. It was the first time a crowd hated a fighter so much that they were willing to pervert the entire framework of what the sport is supposed to be – that a fighter should do what he can to finish a fight – simply because they wanted that fighter to lose so badly.

Of all the pro wrestlers who have come into the sport, only two – Lesnar and non-UFC fighter Bobby Lashley – have ever been disrespected by fellow fighters for being a pro wrestler. In Lesnar’s four UFC fights, only one opponent didn’t throw some kind of variation on “It’s not the WWE,” at him before the fight. In hyping the match, Mir implied Lesnar was strong but clueless when it came to fighting. Heath Herring and his camp had complained behind the scenes to company officials that it was a joke he was even put in the ring with a fake pro wrestler, and made public comments about how the punches were going to be real.

The only opponent who didn’t disrespect Lesnar before the fight was Randy Couture. The only opponent Lesnar didn’t trash talk afterward was Couture. Coincidence?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the big gay bodybuilder is back. Awesome.

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 3:48pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if it's as much of a double-standard on the "switch Henderson and Lesnar" thing. As far as what I know of Henderson, he hasn't really based his career on being a dick. Lesnar, on the other hand, continues to get booed for the latest in a (short)career full of asshattery. The article is right, he got a lot of crap for being a pro wrestler when he first came in, but any sympathy I might have had for that went out the window when he decided to keep up the steroid gorilla act. Wouldn't have been that hard to just take the high road.

Then again, I'm also not convinced that this isn't just White trying to get more PPV buys and encouraging him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 4:17pm

Style: Wrestling, WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true, but I think the article's statement about Couture speaks volumes.

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 4:33pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of all the pro wrestlers who have come into the sport, only two Lesnar and non-UFC fighter Bobby Lashley have ever been disrespected by fellow fighters for being a pro wrestler.
    This may have something to do with the kind of pro-wrestler he is.

Most pro wrestlers that made the move to MMA have come from Japanese circuts. These shows are much more geared towards light hearted comedy and satire, and I find them a lot more entertaining than the North American counterpart. The shows themselves, while scripted, also involve less highly coreographed backflips and super slams and ridiculous ****, and more actual submission wrestling.

Just look at Kazushi Sakuraba.

YouTube - Best of Kazushi Sakuraba

He brought the feeling of Japanese pro wrestling to his fights, in that he was creative, extremely entertaining, often cheerful in fights as well as being an almost unparralelled grappler at the time. People are still crazy about him, he is insanely likeable.

In comparison, North American pro wrestling is more designed to be an over the top spectacle mixed with layers upon layers of man drama and hideously bad jokes. Pro wrestlers here are made out to be muscle-bound assholes, so I'm not surprised that people are opposed to seeing them compete in a sport still trying to earn the respect of the public. And the complaints aren't completely unfounded; Lesnar's post fight speech at UFC 100 clearly had a WWE-esque tone to it.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 5:14pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting that video, that made me insanely happy, I had forgotten how much I loved sakuraba. I liked Lesnar at first too, but hes really losing my respect fast. It was his gay bashing that really pissed me off though Grappling with his future - NFL - ESPN .
    Last edited by shelbydeth; 7/19/2009 5:16pm at . Reason: I don't know why there is a video...just click the link.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17 LastLast