Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:02pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Runitboy View Post
    Matt didn't get his judo certifitcation through Moo Sul Kwan. He's wearing that 2nd dan for his judo rank. That is the way MSK presents its TKD and HKD rank and I guess matt just followed through. That is not his judo teacher that is Grandmaster Shin. He has a school in St. Louis and is almost like a sister school to us. He and Grandmaster Park (who was the founder of Moo Sul Kwan in the US) were best friends. So I'm sure he does answer questions about Judo for Matt. We don't normally answer questions about Matt (we've had a few) but I couldn't let the comment about his dad pass, although I know it was made in context.
    Umm...may I ask why you don't normally answer questions about Matt?
    Are the questions you usually don't answer concerning his qualifications or his past (I totally understand not answering questions on his past)?
    Does this mean you answer questions about your other instructors, just not Matt?

Your clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HAPKIDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has been some questions about his rank and we have some questions of our own so we usually just ingnore inquaries because Matt has been talked to before about fabricating things on the internet and he hasn't stopped. We usually don't get questions about our other instructors because they don't put themselves in this situation. I will try to clear anything I can up, but I won't say anything negative about Matt personally. Feel free to ask.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt didn't get his judo certifitcation through Moo Sul Kwan. He's wearing that 2nd dan for his judo rank. That is the way MSK presents its TKD and HKD rank and I guess matt just followed through.
    Are you saying that Park granted Matt 2nd dan in his system due to his 2nd dan rank in Judo?

What about the instructor stripes on Matt's sleeve? Doesn't that indicate higher than 1st gyup?

You realize that Matt's Judo rank is suspect, right? If the answer to my initial question (above) is "Yes" then it would seem he defrauded GM Park. I wonder how his dad would feel about that?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has been some questions about his rank and we have some questions of our own so we usually just ingnore inquaries because Matt has been talked to before about fabricating things on the internet and he hasn't stopped. We usually don't get questions about our other instructors because they don't put themselves in this situation. I will try to clear anything I can up, but I won't say anything negative about Matt personally. Feel free to ask.
    Thank you, if this who I think this might be, for coming in and helping us out. Like I said I didn't know what the rank in the picture was for an didn't realize judo was in the dojang. I just saw Hapkido and that tends to peek my intrest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:21pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much. You're implying this has happened before, yes? Would you feel comfortable talking about what has been fabricated before?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Are you saying that Park granted Matt 2nd dan in his system due to his 2nd dan rank in Judo?

What about the instructor stripes on Matt's sleeve? Doesn't that indicate higher than 1st gyup?

You realize that Matt's Judo rank is suspect, right? If the answer to my initial question (above) is "Yes" then it would seem he defrauded GM Park. I wonder how his dad would feel about that?

Mr. Park is dead and has been for a while. Matt's TKD instructor is the Head guy in charged of Moo Sul Kwan at this moment. Matt didn't receive anything from Mr. Park. You get one stripe when you become a 1st dan because usually that means you are instructing on someway or the other and you get another stripe when you get your second dan and so forth. So matt's stripes just means that he is 2nd dan and is an instructor or and assistand instructor. We have only one retired Judo guy, Mr. Baird, and he no longer teaches. What I was told is Matt got an honorary 1st dan in judo because the guy mentioned matt's dad to grandmaster shin (who is a judo coach for the korean team) and he vouched for matt's dad and because of his dad's rep matt got his 1st dan. now I do not know where he got his 2nd dan. i've heard he got it from Mr. Shin, but I doubt that is likely but I could be wrong. Its just hearsay. I think matt's dad tries to stay out of it. He's very old school and thinks you should have left some blood and sweat on the mat to be legit.

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone hear this explanation just given and just want to say "what the ****?!" I mean maybe I am hearing things wrong and this is not directed at anyone in particular but is this what I am hearing? "Matt, a red belt level Hapkidoist is pictured with a founder of that system, grand master, whatever and.... in leau of his belt in that art which is a red.... he is instead wearing a belt from another style.

WHAT?!! Thats just absurd. I mean its not bad, though a bit misleading, what it is is just absurd.

Why does everything in this situation have to be so complex and feel like it cannot be trusted to make any sense?

I never meet people like this... its new to me, people that just decide to wear a different belt on another day for shits and giggles... my martial arts friends don't ask to certify me in their art...

I mean usually I can get a profile for the people involved... I understand perfectly the martial arts gypsies like Jason Brine.... ( a term of endearment Jason its ok) I understand the straight out frauds and those who do it for ego like Dougie....

Matt I don't get it with you. Mr Kim technically gave me a green belt in Tae Kwon Do, I might sport it at some event presumably? Or should I say hey to my buddy Kim and sport one of the two tattered black belts that I have hanging around? Wearing a Korean gi of course.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And as for Matt's military career he was an US Marine. and as far as I know he was on the mission to save that Scott O'Grady guy. But I heard a funny story once that his unit was on the same ship as the guys who were slotted to go over there and Matt whoke up on the wrong whistle or something and by the time they figured out he wasn't suppose to be there he was already in gear and seated and they just said you've come this far so you're going. Now I heard that from a friend so I don't know if that is true. It makes a good story and I'm not even sure Matt will admit to it if it is true. But his military career shouldn't be questioned (I'm not talking about his martial arts claim in the military). He's a US Marine trough and through.

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Park is dead and has been for a while. Matt's TKD instructor is the Head guy in charged of Moo Sul Kwan at this moment. Matt didn't receive anything from Mr. Park. You get one stripe when you become a 1st dan because usually that means you are instructing on someway or the other and you get another stripe when you get your second dan and so forth. So matt's stripes just means that he is 2nd dan and is an instructor or and assistand instructor. We have only one retired Judo guy, Mr. Baird, and he no longer teaches. What I was told is Matt got an honorary 1st dan in judo because the guy mentioned matt's dad to grandmaster shin (who is a judo coach for the korean team) and he vouched for matt's dad and because of his dad's rep matt got his 1st dan. now I do not know where he got his 2nd dan. i've heard he got it from Mr. Shin, but I doubt that is likely but I could be wrong. Its just hearsay. I think matt's dad tries to stay out of it. He's very old school and thinks you should have left some blood and sweat on the mat to be legit.

I wish there were more people like matt's dad around these days. The martial arts landscape would be a lot less confusing. Never the less thank you for the info, I want to reiterate that my comments are not directed towards you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Does anyone hear this explanation just given and just want to say "what the ****?!" I mean maybe I am hearing things wrong and this is not directed at anyone in particular but is this what I am hearing? "Matt, a red belt level Hapkidoist is pictured with a founder of that system, grand master, whatever and.... in leau of his belt in that art which is a red.... he is instead wearing a belt from another style.

WHAT?!! Thats just absurd. I mean its not bad, though a bit misleading, what it is is just absurd.

Why does everything in this situation have to be so complex and feel like it cannot be trusted to make any sense?

I never meet people like this... its new to me, people that just decide to wear a different belt on another day for shits and giggles... my martial arts friends don't ask to certify me in their art...

I mean usually I can get a profile for the people involved... I understand perfectly the martial arts gypsies like Jason Brine.... ( a term of endearment Jason its ok) I understand the straight out frauds and those who do it for ego like Dougie....

Matt I don't get it with you. Mr Kim technically gave me a green belt in Tae Kwon Do, I might sport it at some event presumably? Or should I say hey to my buddy Kim and sport one of the two tattered black belts that I have hanging around? Wearing a Korean gi of course.
    Okay. Let me clear it up. The guy he is pictured with is not the founder of Moo Sul Kwan. He is Grandmaster Shin, the founder of Moo Do Kwan in St. Louis. Mr. Shin is a legit judo guy go to his website www.gatewaymoodokwan.org. Matt's school is Moo Sul Kwan and when Mr. Park died there was no one left to teach Judo so if you wanted to learn judo you had to go some where else. So now that Matt has said he had a black belt rank in Judo his head instructor is allowing him to teach it at their school. They are the only Moo Sul Kwan school that teaches Judo. This is were the confusion comes in because no one really knows how Matt got his rank. That is what is in question by even some of us. I do not know anything about Judo or what the appropriate attire is for 1st dan or a 2nd dan in that art. I think he was just trying to follow the attire rules that was set up for TKD and HKD in our school because that is what everyone is familiar with.