Page 110 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110 111112113 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 3:33pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this little gem as well. http://dojang.ning.com/forum/topics/...ource=activity

Seems like his student is trying to redirect a question about rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 9:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, time for the 3rd annual Bullshido Matt Morton investigation.

Last year, he popped in on Aikiweb to claim a black belt in Aikido. The thread is closed but can be found here. I went on trying to tease out some information, but Matt decided to send me a message instead saying indeed I had the right Matt Morton. Here is my response:

Matt, I'm doing real well. Thank you for private messaging me.

I don't get on the Internet a lot these days so I'll just cut to the chase. I read about your Judo debacle a while back on Bullshido and was a tad bit saddened by the whole affair. Judo and Aikido were a huge part of my life when I lived in Japan, so reading about it, especially about an MSK guy, affected me a great deal.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I read about you claiming a black belt in Aikido. Skeptical, I looked at your Facebook, only to find some doctored certificates.

I see that you've probably read Bullshido by now about the certs and have taken them down. Thanks, Matt. I hope those were merely left over from your previous shenanigans.

About the Aikido black belt, I'm not really motivated enough to try to find out if you are telling the truth or not, but I really think you should be careful about repeating past mistakes.

Please take care, Matt. Have a good summer.
    I know there's no reason for me to be polite to this guy, but hey, occasionally I can be a classy guy. I had hoped he would read it and quietly make his exit. Here is his response:

Yep,

I had a bad time of trusting people. Whatever, it happened I am over it. I did do a lot of training in while in the Marines. It is ok, I did square up with the TKD and such. You wouldn't find the Aikido guy anyway. He died in 1996 in a training accident. Thing is, I never lied about my judo rank. But the few bored folks on Bullshido have nothing but time on their hands.

I know what I have done in service to this country and in the martial arts community for good and bad. By the way, you were in TKD at the time. So you would've known dad but not me. Only the old ones like **** ******* and ***** **** know who I am because of my training in MSK before I left for the Marines. Also, if I wanna call shiho nage a 4 corner throw then I suppose I can. Gee even Neil Ohlenkamp does so on judoinfo.com

Good luck ****
    /facepalm/ Kind of a sad character using the same old tired lies from the his first foray into Bullshido. I'm thinking he has mistaken me for another person with the shiho-nage comment. And the Neil Ohlenkamp comment made me groan.

Soon after that, the Aikiweb thread didn't turn out well for Matt but I guess he was long gone at that point. I assumed he scurried back into his realm of Fantasy and Make Believe so I saw no point in pursuing the issue....until today. I'm surprised he no longer lists his Aikido black belt. But I'm even more surprised by his Judo 7th dan. And when did he ever claim Gumdo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:46pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one has ever died in an aikido training accident in the entire history of the human species. Ever. If you gave a room full of aikidoka bokkens and ordered them to kill someone I'm not sure it could be accomplished. And even if he had a legitimate sensei who had since passed away, there would still be evidence of the guy's existence. Hell, there are people on this site who know more about Kano's life today than his neighbors did a century ago. How hard would it be to find a picture and bio for Sensei John Doe from 15 years ago?
    Last edited by dougguod; 3/29/2011 11:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 12:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dougguod,
    From the aikiweb thread, he claims his teacher's name was John Thurston. By training accident, I understood that to be something related to his time in the Marines, not during actual Aikido practice.

Anyways, that was last years' news. The 7th degree in Judo claim is a slap in the face to Judo players everywhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I see that now. A quick google of "John Thurston aikido" only turned up the above Aikiweb discussion and a post from earlier in this thread linking to it. I don't doubt that this Thurston Sensei is a fabrication, particularly given how Morton refers to him as "the Aikido guy". I don't think I would speak about someone I had any respect for, particularly if that someone were deceased, so cavalierly.

What interests me about Morton's response to you, NS, is that he seems to share your sentiment that the judo rank is what matters most. While he seems eager to downplay the aikido and the "TKD and such" ranks, he still insists that his judo belt is legit. Why is he so invested in that one?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 4:35am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps its something to do with wanting his fathers acceptance/pride? I read somewhere that his father is a legit Judoka of good standing.
    King without a crown

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his father is a legit old school hopkido instructor. he trains alive and hard. his old man is someone to be admired.

matt's own words to me were "i haven't gotten dan ranks in TKD/HKD yet because i don't want my dad on the grading board and it's hard to find others who can grade me when schedules mesh up"
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    No one has ever died in an aikido training accident in the entire history of the human species. Ever.
    Bullshit.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    No one has ever died in an aikido training accident in the entire history of the human species. Ever.
    I've read that repeated shihonage during hazing in Japanese dojos has lead to brain-damaged related deaths.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NubianSpearman View Post
    And when did he ever claim Gumdo?
    Having gone through everything here, it appears he has not made any kind of previous kumdo claim until this most recent thing (sorry, I'm just a jackass about spelling it 'gumdo')...

what I find odd is that he was practicing setei iaido with my buddy for 9ish months, and according to youtube video ( ), koryu kumdo looks to be at least mildly similar (which would be unsurprising to me).

with something 'relatively similar', it would make ZERO sense for a "5.dan Koryu Gumdo" to start practicing -- with the intent of 'being taught' -- Seitei Iaido with an iaido 1.kyu...

If I'm a Kendo 5.dan, do I suddenly go to a kumdo school to learn from a kumdo 1.gup? That's absolutely illogical...

But stupid as it is, let's say that's what I do. And the kumdo class loses its practice space. I then offer the kumdo class to take place at my house. What in hell sense would it make for me then to say, "..but if it's my house, then I will be the sensei and i'll be teaching kendo... and if you want, you can maybe do some kumdo, too" --- when my supposed purpose for practicing with the kumdo people in the first place was to learn kumdo?

Dude is whack. Straight up, slap bananas.