Posted On:
    6/17/2009 3:41am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pecoraro's Academy of Martial Arts - BS TKD/Kickboxing/MT/etc

YouTube - Kickboxing Training at Pecoraro's Academy Of Martial Arts

While looking around at training videos for Mike Zambidis, I fell upon these people. I'm surprised they haven't fallen under our radar.

The Pecoraro Academy of Martial Arts is setting off red flags everywhere. From this video, it seems that they just watched a little too much Ong Bak and tossed it into their system. It seems to just be another ATA in the making.

The video speaks for the shitty quality in training techniques. The kicks are pretty, but everything else is pretty terrible. They're not too terribly far from me so I wouldn't mind investigating them. There's some bullies up in northern california that are closer and if they wouldn't mind, they could help with some investigating.

Though personally, I'd rather just dojo storm them.

http://www.pecorarosmartialarts.com/

Website.

Their claims:

It took me a while to find out what style of "Martial Arts" they trained their students in. Under their cleverly hidden "Instructor" page I find:

All of our instructors are certified through ACMA, the American Council of Martial Artists. Our dedicated instructors must complete, on an annual basis, 40 hours of continuous training in martial art classroom management and teaching methodology to retain certification. Although our core style is Traditional Taekwondo, we effectively blend concepts and signature techniques from Kenpo, Aikido, Kickboxing, Capoeira, Escrima, and Kobudo into our curriculum, providing our students with a well-rounded martial art education in both physical skills and martial art philosophy.
    A quick check for the "American Council OF Martial Arts" brings up nothing. But NAPMA supports an "American Council on Martial Arts." NAPMA is bullshit in my eyes so they've already lost credibility there.

It's pretty obvious that it's just TKD trying to add some kind of unique twist by adding shitty movie techniques.

Instructors.

All of my alarms are blaring off the hook (yo). What say you?

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 3:54am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can teach you the physical techniques to defend yourself - you alone must believe you will execute them if you need to without hesitation. We teach age appropriate self defense to children under 13 which is different than what we teach adults. By participating in our martial art program and our fitness training programs, you will gain the strength, technique and confidence to defend yourself if the need should arise.
    Now thats not what I have ever wanted to hear when looking at clubs..... But it's a great caveat, I'll give them that.

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 4:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you alone must believe you will execute them if you need to without hesitation.

We don't spar. Fixed that for you

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 4:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the outrageous claim you are going to look into? It is what they claim it is. This is more YMAS than MABS. And I am not even sure it is YMAS.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 10:22am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see no reference to them actually teaching Muay Thai as a system on their website. They do state that their "Kickboxing" program is a blend of American Kickboxing and Muay Thai. Their kicking and pad work in general has more in common with TKD than Muay Thai.

It looks like they have borrowed techniques from kickboxing and MT and mixed it in with TKD, probably after learning said techniques from a DVD, book, or weekend seminar. I see no outrageous claims on their website or really any other reason for them to warrant our attention at this time.

The big question is, do they spar or compete? After finding this little tidbit on their F.A.Q. page I have to say no.

"•DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN COMPETITION?

We do not encourage competition in the same sense as you would expect in other group sport activities. The atmosphere at our school is friendly and cooperative, it is a place for students to try new things without the apprehension competition brings. "

On a whole I would recommend that they change the name of their Kickboxing program to "Kyuktoogi" and then put some kind of sparring in place. And stop teaching and throwing elbows all together until someone can come in and clean up what they're doing a little bit.
    安氏八极拳学生

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Critique it all you want, but there is evidence in the video of contact sparring.

This merely looks like your run-of-the-mill TKD studio to me. The only claim I find questionable is the son of the founder holding a 5th degree black belt - the same rank as the founder.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:02pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    It looks like they have borrowed techniques from kickboxing and MT and mixed it in with TKD, probably after learning said techniques from a DVD, book, or weekend seminar.
    Certainly that'd be my estimation of their eskrima.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like they have borrowed techniques from kickboxing and MT and mixed it in with TKD, probably after learning said techniques from a DVD, book, or weekend seminar. I see no outrageous claims on their website or really any other reason for them to warrant our attention at this time.
    Agreed. It's a TKD school that's added some kickboxing elements, not really any fraud or outrageous claims