Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 5:33pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paleo diet

http://www.paleodiet.com/

That page features a load of information and an introduction towards the top. A basic summary is that it consists of organic meats, eggs, nuts, and fresh fruits and vegetables, with a complete or near complete absence of sugar (processed), salt, dairy, grains, beans, and some other starches.

There are some silly claims that some of the extreme promoters of this diet make, like almost any set of dietary choices but by and large the people have their facts straight, and their heads screwed on, from what information I've seen.

I've been working with this diet (with this exception of a small amount of beans and rice a few days ago) for about three weeks now, and I feel a definite boost in my energy, clarity of thought, and I generally feel more grounded and less hazy. I've put on a few pounds, which is actually what I'm after since I recently lost 25 due to being bedridden for two months. All in all it's working well for me.

I'm curious as to some thoughts on this approach. There's a lot of information on that page and the attached links so take a peek and throw in your two cents.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 9:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard about it, but never tried it. If you can find the time, read the book, Neandrathin. The author claimed he cured himself diabetes, which is why I am skeptical.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 4/01/2007 9:46am at .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 5:42pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is not a whole lot different than a low carb diet. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabites a couple of years ago. I have gone low carb and lost over 40 lbs without counting calories. Also my blood sugar has dropped into the normal range and I no longer need to take medicine. One of the big things I found out in a class I had on diabites is that refined grains are as bad for you as sugar. Bagels are death. On this diet you lose the cravings for different types of food and your enegry levels stay up the whole day, no crashing. And even though the diet tends to be higher in fat, my colesteral has dropped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 7:10pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's best to think of it as another type of low carb diet, not in a different class. Compared to what standard health organizations promote, anything where you eat more protien than carbohydrates in any form could be considered "low carb." My parents also balaned their blood sugar with a low carb diet, and are much healthier overall than when they were chowing down on grains.

It does make sense though, I'd imagine our ancestors evolved eating fruits, nuts, vegetables, and whatever protien sources they could kill or scavenge, rather than eating 8 servings of whole grains. I recall a program takling about how early human ancestors in Africa often survived by using rocks to break open bones to eat the rich bone marrow other animals couldn't get to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 7:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is in a certain sense low carb, but it's also important to note that it doesn't make any restrictions on the amount of carbohydrates you take in in a given day (unlike Atkins, for example), it just eliminates certain sources.

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the concept is that we evolved as hunter gatherers to eat a certian type of diet in which grains and sugar did not play much of a role. To be honest, without agriculture, most types of plant food tended to be seasonal and limited, so meat/fish tended to provide a majority of calories. Also, with a hunter gatherer lifestyle, one tended to get plenty of exercise. While you don't count carbs in the paleo diet carbs are restricted due to the types of food you should eat. Also the carbs in this diet tend to be of the low Glycemic Index type and will not spike your blood sugar. I know that at 53 I feel a lot better on a low carb diet than I did through most of my 40's on a traditional amercian diet.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 10:43am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why stop at the Paleo diet? Try the Precambrian diet... eat only single-celled organisms and watch the flab just melt away.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Why stop at the Paleo diet? Try the Precambrian diet... eat only single-celled organisms and watch the flab just melt away.
    Only if they are low carb.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 1:28pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most useful thing to come out of this whole low-carb thingy is an awareness of glycemic index. I guess we had to go to the extremes of eating nothing but steaks and ribs to figure this out.

:cachas:
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    The most useful thing to come out of this whole low-carb thingy is an awareness of glycemic index. I guess we had to go to the extremes of eating nothing but steaks and ribs to figure this out.

:cachas:
    Did you actually read the information, or are you just making blanket statements?
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast