Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 1:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anybody here using a CPAP?

If so, how long did it take for you to get used to it, so you could sleep all night?

I've recently gotten one, and after about 3 weeks it still bothers me, being on my face...

CPAP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    If so, how long did it take for you to get used to it, so you could sleep all night?

I've recently gotten one, and after about 3 weeks it still bothers me, being on my face...

CPAP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure
    My brother uses one. He got a full night's sleep the first night using, and it was the first full night's sleep he'd had in a long time because his sleep apnea kept him waking him up.

He's also a raging fatass. He seriously needs to drop 100 lbs, and if he did, he wouldn't need a CPAP period.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 2:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad. He's 75 and has had one for several years.

He was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and lost a ton of weight. When that happened, he seemed to not need the CPAP nearly as much. He's since beaten the cancer and gotten his appetite back so he's put some of the weight back on (not all of it mind you, he's fairly fit). But now he seems to need the CPAP more.

I can tell you that it took him a long time to get used to the mask. I think he went through a couple of models before he found one he could tolerate. In addition to being physically uncomfortable, he was also a bit freaked out because he had worked some weather recon in the Air Force during the Korean war and the mask reminded him of some of the **** he used to have to wear while flying.

If you're married, I feel for your wife. I had to spend several nights with my dad when he was in the hospital and that damn thing drove me crazy.

I know that the CPAP isn't just for people that are suffering from symptoms caused by being overweight. But if you could stand to lose a few I'd start hitting the gym to see if it could make a difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to hear your dad got better.

Yes, I am in process of losing some weight, and it has helped. I'm pretty sure I had some apnea before I gained weight, but it has gotten worse as I got bigger.

Just having a hard time adjusting to the mask. I'm kind of claustrophobic, so having stuff on my face sucks. I'll just keep at it, until I get used to it. It can't do anything but help.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 11:55am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should be using it, but I also recently had a septoplasty (deviated septum repair) done, and my girlfriend says that my snoring has been pretty much eliminated, and I sleep through the night for the most part. I have to go for my second part of the sleep study and see what I need.

Have your ENT doctor prescribe a CAT scan for your nasal region to see if you have a septum or blockage somewhere. It may show that after surgery you wont need the CPAP any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They were going to put me on one but ended up operating on my soft palate and nose instead. They don't always get the pressure right the first time.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    They were going to put me on one but ended up operating on my soft palate and nose instead. They don't always get the pressure right the first time.

Exactly, that is why I don't want to use it. I also play air soft which has me camping in the woods with no power and I do not want to have that Darth Vader mask with me out in the field.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 12:16am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 8 years ago. I was falling asleep at the wheel, depressed, grouchy, tired all the time. You simply must have the intestinal fortitude to handle the mask. Otherwise, you will likely die much sooner, develop heart disease and diabetes, etc. The health effects are amazing when you get used to it. Eventually, you will never sleep without it.

I used to be a avid backpacker, climber. Since I discovered the machine I have camped maybe three times, and each time woke up feeling like hell.

YOu can get a portable battery for it.

THe CPAP is the gold standard for the treatment. And they can give you an "autocpap" which titrates the pressure and automatically finds it. The surgery is often not as good. Losing weight always helps, although it won't make it go away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks for all the input. They told me about the surgery, but said my apnea really wasn't too bad, and said I might want the cpap anyway. It has helped my mom and younger brother, so I am just going to stick it out, until I get used to it.

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 11:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The drop in weight will help a great deal. I dropped about 30+ lbs since Sept and I feel a lot better with sleep. It affects me a lot when I cannot breathe through my nose. For two weeks after my septoplasty, I was stuffed and the sleep apnea maybe gave me 2 hours of sleep a night.

I will take your advice Crappler and look further into the CPAP and try to find a solution for when I am out playing airsoft.

EDIT: Pushups for Crappler since I can't give you +rep.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast