Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 10:18am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've got a new(ish) guy in our class. He's a heavyweight I guess. He's slowly learning the ropes, but his form...Jeez, nothing seems to make him punch right. Because he's so big I guess he's used to just using his weight, but it means as soon as he gets tired his jabs become odd...pushes. And he rolls his hand so his jab and left hook are more like a closed fist bitch-slap than a punch.

I keep warning him that he is going to hurt himself, but so far to no avail.

What do you think? Let him get hurt or keep bullying and itching till his form improves?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 11:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    We've got a new(ish) guy in our class. He's a heavyweight I guess. He's slowly learning the ropes, but his form...Jeez, nothing seems to make him punch right. Because he's so big I guess he's used to just using his weight, but it means as soon as he gets tired his jabs become odd...pushes. And he rolls his hand so his jab and left hook are more like a closed fist bitch-slap than a punch.

I keep warning him that he is going to hurt himself, but so far to no avail.

What do you think? Let him get hurt or keep bullying and itching till his form improves?
    Striking the Thai pad with poor form seems self-correcting, at least with any power. If you've given him the information to make the correct choice and he chooses to be lazy about it, then I'm not sure there is anything more to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 9:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I got made...promoted?...to assistant instructor last night. Cool, I think. I'm expected to teach a couple of classes/week soon, and my instructor is thinking about re-dividing our group by ability level fr some classes/parts of class. If so, we can get him "study hall" :)

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 9:48am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    Well, I got made...promoted?...to assistant instructor last night. Cool, I think. I'm expected to teach a couple of classes/week soon, and my instructor is thinking about re-dividing our group by ability level fr some classes/parts of class. If so, we can get him "study hall" :)
    Spar the big guy and school him!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Spar the big guy and school him!
    That's step 2.

...then again, he's got >100 lbs on me, so maybe I should do it now while he still punches like he does. And has the great habit of pulling the "turtle" even when holding pads :)

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 11:06am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this guy fat, or just gigantic like bob sapp?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat. He really needs to lose some weight. I'd guess around 5'10" and 240+

Poor bastard has trouble doing sit-ups cos his belly gets in the way. He's getting better though, his fitness is improving quickly, and you can see a weekly decrease in the weight round his face etc.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123