Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a specific punch that seems to set things off? I actually chipped my ulnar styloid throwing left uppercuts with terrible form. I was having similar problems with hooks until I started bringing my elbow up in line with my wrist. Until you get decent form, I've found the Everlast gel with hand wrap to work pretty well. The gel provides decent knuckle cushioning so you can focus on the wrist with the wrap.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mexican style wrist wraps will solve your problem and also cowbell bench press's will help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 7:52pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arcan, talk to your coach. If your form is off you can really **** yourself up. Your coach should be paying close attention to you if you've hurt yourself. If you're all worried, or kind of new to it, don't go too bat **** crazy on the bag. Take some time to work on your form, technique, stamina and speed. Build up slowly, or else you're gonna get hurt...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, unfortunately I figured that out after the hurting. But it's mostly healed now, and I don't punch the bag unless I have my wrists wrapped up tight.
    Last edited by Arcan; 7/08/2009 10:43am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 12:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. School of hard knocks eh?

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 1:22am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcan View Post
    Is there a specific punch that seems to set things off? I actually chipped my ulnar styloid throwing left uppercuts with terrible form. I was having similar problems with hooks until I started bringing my elbow up in line with my wrist. Until you get decent form, I've found the Everlast gel with hand wrap to work pretty well. The gel provides decent knuckle cushioning so you can focus on the wrist with the wrap.
    Chipped your ulnar styloid? How hell were you punching, with your wrists? You recommended everlast gel hand wraps. The only thing i'd recommend them for is hitting pillows or something soft like a puppy. Or maybe an emergency toilet paper substitute.Those gloves are the shittiest excuse for a "hand wrap" i've every seen. They suck, how dare you recommend them.
    Other than that great post Arcan!

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 12:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In order of importance (1,2 have been addressed already)
    1. form
    2. equipment
    3. conditioning

3. would be Bench press (flat, incline, decline)
    But doing good heavy lifting takes a whole another discipline in pacing your improvements correctly.. ask el macho

You're also probably punching with your arm, trying to shove in more power by pushing into the bag as hard as you can. Doesn't work that way. Work on form.. if you do 1. and 2. correctly, you don't even need 3 until you really want to up your power.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 6:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Chipped your ulnar styloid? How hell were you punching, with your wrists? You recommended everlast gel hand wraps. The only thing i'd recommend them for is hitting pillows or something soft like a puppy. Or maybe an emergency toilet paper substitute.Those gloves are the shittiest excuse for a "hand wrap" i've every seen. They suck, how dare you recommend them.
    Other than that great post Arcan!
    I wear them under either bag gloves or the 4oz gloves. They provide more protection than just hand wraps, although I don't think they're sufficient by themselves. Although are you talking about the Everlast gel wraps that just have the velcro closures and not the hand wrap? Cause if you are then I agree completely.

And I was throwing an upper cut with my wrist slightly angled in and slightly flexed, ie. massive fail.

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 10:40pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcan View Post
    I wear them under either bag gloves or the 4oz gloves. They provide more protection than just hand wraps, although I don't think they're sufficient by themselves. Although are you talking about the Everlast gel wraps that just have the velcro closures and not the hand wrap? Cause if you are then I agree completely.

And I was throwing an upper cut with my wrist slightly angled in and slightly flexed, ie. massive fail.
    I guess wearing them under gloves may help. I still think regular wraps are better. Besides, whats with the gel if you're already wearing a glove, how much protection do you need?

What were you punching at when you broke your wrist? I'll make sure not to punch it. Sounds like a bad way to hurt yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 7:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a lot of switching from gloves to bare hands and it just takes too damn long for me to wrap my wrists using regular wrist wraps. If not for that I think I'd just stay with the regular wraps under bag or heavy gloves.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast