is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMKane View Post
    And yes the tendons are painful to touch.
    You keep saying "tendons" - plural. What exactly are you referring to? Given your description of the pain as being above the knee, I had assumed you were referring to your patella tendon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 8:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    You keep saying "tendons" - plural. What exactly are you referring to? Given your description of the pain as being above the knee, I had assumed you were referring to your patella tendon.
    I don't mean to be an ass, but your average poster isn't familiar with the specifics of tendon structure and number.

Based on reading this thread alone, the solution appears to be switching to front sqauts (at the least), or just, dropping the exercise untill you have access to a sqaut rack.

How much were you squatting?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 9:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by han090 View Post
    I don't mean to be an ass, but your average poster isn't familiar with the specifics of tendon structure and number.
    I'm not trying to be a pedant. If he's referring to his patella tendon, he can say "Yeah, the big one right down the middle." If he's not, then that changes everything.

poser

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:20pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I actually read somewhere about this ass-kicking complex that involved basically the same movement that FLMKane is doing, albeit presumably with better technique.

The key word being "ass-kicking," which implies "don't even bother attempting to clean, press, squat 3x5, then press again the same weight you'd normally just squat 3x5 with."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 6:15am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww View Post
    Heh, I actually read somewhere about this ass-kicking complex that involved basically the same movement that FLMKane is doing, albeit presumably with better technique.

The key word being "ass-kicking," which implies "don't even bother attempting to clean, press, squat 3x5, then press again the same weight you'd normally just squat 3x5 with."
    Uhhh...I dont even bother trying to load up my maximum squat weight on the bar, let alone trying to clean it up.

I dont have anything more than a vague idea about tendon structure, but yes the big one down the middle,

Howver I would like to emphasize that the tendon is the main problem. The DOMS is also extreme but it is more than bearable.

Moreover I should have stated that the tendon pain tends to go away in 7-10 days. But I cant strain my legs too much for two weeks after the pain starts, or things get ugly.

As I previously mentioned I went to a doctor. He said the because of the wierd squatting technique there were extreme strains on my legs at certain times, which caused the pain. He also mentioned that I should:

a) use a squat rack or

b) use dumbells to allow me to drop the weight more easily

c) reduce workout intensity

d) eat more protien and calcium ( I did not understand this one)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 11:18am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it has something to do with recovery times? And possibly building strength (so you'll actually be able to lift that weight in the future)?

But someone more knowledgable will tell you soon.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 9:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont have anything more than a vague idea about tendon structure, but yes the big one down the middle,

Howver I would like to emphasize that the tendon is the main problem. The DOMS is also extreme but it is more than bearable.

Moreover I should have stated that the tendon pain tends to go away in 7-10 days. But I cant strain my legs too much for two weeks after the pain starts, or things get ugly.
    Okay, this, combined with the sore-to-the-touch part, is worrying. If it were below the knee and shorter-lived, I'd think bursitis, but if it's above the knee (and long-lived), that sounds like an issue with the tendon, which is a bitch.

As I previously mentioned I went to a doctor. He said the because of the wierd squatting technique there were extreme strains on my legs at certain times, which caused the pain. He also mentioned that I should:

a) use a squat rack or

b) use dumbells to allow me to drop the weight more easily

c) reduce workout intensity

If he wasn't an expert in sports medicine, I suggest you visit someone who is. You might also want to take a break from anything that aggravates or prolongs your symptoms. Taking two weeks off from lifting won't cost you too much (you're not an Olympic athlete), but turning a nagging injury into a catastrophic one will.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123