Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 6:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

This is Mark Tripp. I am going to suggest that until people get to know you, you might want to be a bit less defensive. On the internet it doesn't help much. People are going to disagree, taking it personally is never a good idea.

No one is saying anything except it is an unusual way to discuss/teach the technique. O goshi for beginners is almost always a problem. If your way works, great. I have found it easier, and more effective in the long run, to teach Ogoshi in the manner found on the first set of Gracie Jujitsu tapes (close the gap, clinch, throw). X in the box step is an odd motion for beginners. However, my way is just that, my way, or more correctly the Gracie way.

I know all the people you are speaking of, and they know me. Lets add Steve Scott and John Saylor into the mix as well. That said, my knowing them doesn't make my classes or abilities any more or less than what they are. It does help that they all speak well of me, and know who I am, because Mike Swain, Steve Scott, and John Saylor have all seen me teach classes.

This "feeling out" process is a major part of Bullshido. You are not being asked to do anything the rest of us didn't have to do. As such, I really want to hear more about you winning the Pan Am, and those Marine Championships.

Thanks, and again, welcome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 10:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Mark,

It's cool. I had been raised with the idea that without integrity there is nothing. The Marines were certainly a big part of that. I had just got off the phone with Steve Scott. I talked with him a bit as to my time in Judo and what I am trying to accomplish. Here's the deal, I was on the USS Kearsarge in 1995, this is how I was part of the Trapp mission to help rescue Scott O'Grady. Anyway, I was doing judo and wrestling with the sixth fleet guys. They are the Europe and Med folks. I was with BLT 3/8, 24th MEU. In other words Batallion Landing Team. Anyhow an alternate was needed because there was an injury in the 50kg, 132. So I was told the slot needed to be filled. I went, it was awesome. I didn't really think of it as a big deal. I just thought of it as another military competition. Anyhow, there was a bunch of divisions for the 50kg, 132 I just happened to win one of them.

It was a big deal to me I guess. However, there are other people that can say they were 1995 PanAm Judo champs in 50kg, 132, because it is true. I just won a division of it. All I know is they did a thing about it is "Stars and Stripes", I guess I was a minor celebrity in the sixth fleet and for the Marine Corps for my 15 minutes of fame.

Being on the All Marine Team allowed me to have an open invite for the 96 games in Atlanta. I got smashed, lol, but hey at least I tried. When I did randori with the others I met up with this dude and he made me wander if I had ever been in Judo before. Over before it really started. Hahahahahaha, I am proud of getting that beat down, I had to get my shoulder taped over that one.

I was able to train at Olympic Village in Barcelona in 95 as well. Man, I was having such a great time in these awesome training facilities.

Oh, to answer some lineage questions........Lee H. Park, He-Young Kimm,and Bong Yul Shin all went to the Yudo Academy in Korea. Lee taught my dad hapkido and judo. Hapkido to 3rd dan, however dad was a brown 1st in judo. Dan Beard, finished his dan ranking to 3rd dan in judo under Lee. In the mid 80's I began Judo from Dan. However, he quit teaching after a while. Dad taught me hapkido but since I was a wrestler and loved judo he had me do more judo training than anything. People would work the joint locks, I would be doing speed throwing.

I met Master Gunnery Sgt. Tim Wilkinson on Camp LeJeune. It was happen stance at the Area 2 gym. He saw me doing deadlits and pullups. We talked for a bit, I thought he was a wrestler so you know......commonality. Came to find out he was coach for the Judo and Wrestling. I did randori later that week with the judo guys and even though a bit of a diamond in the rough so to speak I was winning against the other players. So I earned a spot on the LeJeune team and through hard work I kept getting bigger spots. Sometimes as a fill in because of injury, sometimes not. But it all started with the Marine Corps Base Camp LeJeune Judo team, militarily speaking.

As a kid I did Judo tournaments in Missouri and always did pretty well for the competition size. I was hooked, still am. Even though I wear 2 titanium leg braces and take a ton of medication daily I still stay true to judo and do the best I can training others.

Sorry for coming off so defensive, but like I said integrity is a big deal to me. I don't lie so I do get offended a little over the top when I feel someone is "Questioning" me.

Also, I did my initial training in Ca. I was lucky enough to meet some of the Gracies. Clay McBride, lived in Cape Girardeau and at one time was a good friend of Dad's was taking Jiu-Jitsu in Torrence I guess? He lived in Culver City at the time, anyway Clay took me to meet the Gracies the day I graduated boot camp. Clay ended up doing a lot of the write up p.r. for the guys in Black Belt magazine and stuff like that in 93 and 94. I was lucky enough to see the I guess 3rd UFC in Charlotte.

So, you know you're right......I too have been validated by some great people and some not so known that work really hard. Anyway, I am diversified in my teaching because not everyone gets the same teaching straategy. But my Judo is my Judo and I have had a lot of fun with it and got to meet some great people, train in outstanding places, compete in some really cool tournaments and still enjoy the fact that I am still meeting cool people etc.

By the way, thanks again for the nice welcome. Looking back I can see why others asked about my background stuff, there are a lot of Frank Dux guys running around. Hope to see you in July, maybe......I will be at the MO State Games in October at the very least.
    Last edited by matt.m; 6/18/2009 10:43am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 11:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for coming off so defensive, but like I said integrity is a big deal to me. I don't lie so I do get offended a little over the top when I feel someone is "Questioning" me.
    The integrity defense???

Welcome to the forum. Just a friendly bit of advice. If this is how you really feel, you are going to have a very rough time here. If you choose to continue posting, have a very thick skin. Realize, the "I don't lie" and Integrity comment is probably going to make people come out of the wood work. I hope you answer the questions, we can always use more legit posters to help root out bullshido in the Martial Arts.

Good luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 2:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No man, it's cool. I just forget that just because I am not full of **** doewn't mean most of the speaking population isn't. Oh well, to each their own. By the way, ya don't make non comissioned officer in the Marines by being a girly man.

To me I wasn't being defensive by saying things like "I have been doing this long enough, etc." That was just me being a Marine still and I have been out since 97. You had to be sure of yourself and confident or get left behind. That is just how it was.

So it is cool. I am glad I got my "Who the hell is this jerk" initiation done. Oh well, gotta thank that white belt that stayed in my class for a few weeks to get me known and out there so to speak.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 2:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a former Marine myself I understand being defensive and regarding your accomplishments that's really impressive.

The problem that I have with teaching "gimmicky" things is that doesn't allow the beginner to develop sound principles. I have had to correct so many people from bad initial instruction its disheartening. That is the point I am trying to make.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 7:49am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    As a former Marine myself I understand being defensive and regarding your accomplishments that's really impressive.

The problem that I have with teaching "gimmicky" things is that doesn't allow the beginner to develop sound principles. I have had to correct so many people from bad initial instruction its disheartening. That is the point I am trying to make.
    I can see where you are coming from, albeit to a lesser degree as i do not teach judo. May be we just are puting too much emphasis on the words.

I though the 3 leg thing was when we are looking from the front, so I though it was like some ringen at the sword, slide on the side type of thing

But I think Matt M refers to the what Koga shows in those video, especially against a left handed guy. (That is just so that we have a common reference point. That is all)
    YouTube - Toshihiko Koga's Ippon Seoi Nage - Tutorial
    YouTube - Toshihiko Koga's Morote Seoi Nage - Tutorial

When the video is looking from the side you have the 3 leg thing.

phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:26am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I love that wicked Koga hip-seoinage. It's not for everybody, you need tons of flexibility at the hips and back... to "jump in".

"Classic" seoinage should emphasize contact of tori's upper torso against uke's pecs, while the hip area shouldn't touch uke, and be free to move to compensate for uke's escaping movements. If you're touching with the hips, there wasn't enough space in the first place. I found it makes sense, if you get it right you get some real effortless throws.

Thoughts from the experts?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 10:41am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 3:03pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koga doesn't steps outside his opponents leg to he stays inside. His seoi is successful against people who are on a level very few people are on. If Koga ever did that against you you would not survive. Again he developed a solution to a problem facing him in competition at an elite level NOT BASIC JUDO. It's based on basic sound Judo but modified to help him at that level.

More importantly is looking at the first part of that video the first minute. Master that part and you will have more success than if you tried to replicate an elite level Judoka's modified version.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 5:26pm

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Koga doesn't steps outside his opponents leg to he stays inside. His seoi is successful against people who are on a level very few people are on. If Koga ever did that against you you would not survive. Again he developed a solution to a problem facing him in competition at an elite level NOT BASIC JUDO. It's based on basic sound Judo but modified to help him at that level.

More importantly is looking at the first part of that video the first minute. Master that part and you will have more success than if you tried to replicate an elite level Judoka's modified version.
    Well,
    You see I was stupidly trying to see what mister Morton was coming from.
    I was trying to see where the disconnections could come from. I realty though it was more a matter of explaining the same thing differently than an actual technicall difference.
    Acccording to the video angle the 3rd leg explanation does make sense provided that you looked at it from the side and not from the front.

Given the thread mentioned by it is fake, I wonder if i have not been a twat to waste my time and yours on that very topic and I am sorry and profusely appologize for that.

Phil
    Last edited by willaume; 6/19/2009 5:32pm at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast