Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 10:11pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please let me now the name of your Judo Instructor and the name of the club

I want to see if his rank is certified. I am out to stop all of the FAKES in Judo

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: I throw people.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, I have only heard of a "third leg" reference in Aikido, from a dude who moved and started training where I go a while back. He said his old sensei would always say "If everyone had a third leg it would be harder to take their balance," or something like that, in reference to what angle to try and get uke off-balanced in when performing techniques where they fall backwards.

I haven't ever heard of it in Judo, but I have only been learning Judo for a few months. The way it is described, if I'm understanding it correctly, for some of the throws your feet would be too far apart, not allowing you to rotate as far as if your feet were closer together (I'm thinking of o goshi and seoi nage.) Or at least if did them that way I can totally picture my Judo teacher saying "You can't generate enough torque because your feet are too far apart!"

It's been a long day; I hope that was coherent o.O

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 4:03am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger View Post

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't catch it at first but what you are referring to does look strikingly similar to what I was taught. The only difference is that I was taught to come from the inside, not the outside, and of course without the swords, or french language (that is french right?).
    Hello,
    Yes it is French. (I am still serving my time in England).

I think you need that vid because from what I understand from people comment i think they understood that it is your front leg (i.e. the leg on which hips you roll the guy onto) that his outside.

we do that in aikido when you do kokuy randory or when the person you train with can not take ukemi from koshy or when you feel that that uke is too much behind the initial technique.

basically it is a kinder version of koshy.

We have a few BB in judo that trains with me in aikido and they did not recall any third leg but it just could be just a personal teaching trick.
    phil

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zen sent me an email about this thread just a minute ago and it is ok. I can understand where there might be confusion......It is a teaching reminder I use for the new guys about hip placement. Let's say ippon seio nage, o goshi, whatever.......well first is to have good kuzushi(Off balance), proper foot work, however.....the way I have been taught and always done these throws is with my hip deeper across the pelvis of uke. So for the new guys I would show uke's leg in between my hips, so when you looked in the mirror it will look lie tori is a person with 3 legs while going in slow motion uchi komi.

Plus, I didn't make a big deal of the japanese terminology for the new guys as I wanted them to learn technique as new white belts first. However, I wrote the Judo manual for Moo Sul Kwan and I have the techniques in both english and japanese.

You guys have to contact me if you have question. Zen was only my student for six classes or so.

By the way I am a USJA member, certified Nidan. It's cool, I have met a lot of suspect people. Actually, if anyone is looking to train in the St. Louis area in Judo email me at matt.morton@sbcglobal.net. Also, if you want....call me at 314-609-1973. I am always looking to expand judo in Moo Sul Kwan.
    Last edited by matt.m; 6/17/2009 3:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 3:55pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.m View Post
    Zen sent me an email about this thread just a minute ago and it is ok. I can understand where there might be confusion......It is a teaching reminder I use for the new guys about hip placement. Let's say ippon seio nage, o goshi, whatever.......well first is to have good kuzushi(Off balance), proper foot work, however.....the way I have been taught and always done these throws is with my hip deeper across the pelvis of uke. So for the new guys I would show uke's leg in between my hips, so when you looked in the mirror it will look lie tori is a person with 3 legs while going in slow motion uchi komi.
    While I can appreciate the visual aid for showing hip placement, this can lead to bad habits in foot placement early on. There are better ways to explain hip placement without the "third leg".

I've been told that a good measurement for hip placement for Seoi Nage is to put your buttcrack on uke's thigh. Vulgar, but it works. Vince Tamura taught me that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 4:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without spelling it out to be frank I said "His/her thigh fits in the crack of your butt."

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 6:03pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, the weird way i have of describing stuff when i teach would lead to equally bizarre threads, nature of the game at times, when getting an idea across.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahahahaha. Well think of Eddie Bravo, "Chili Dog, Twister, etc." But the man is no joke.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 10:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie Bravo's stuff is based on solving particular problem associated with no-gi jiujitsu and based on solid basic jiujitsu. What you are teaching is not based on solid principle. Sorry I never seen or heard of that in the time I have been in Judo nor from any coach I have trained with. In many discussions with Olympic coachs that has never been brought up.

Just saying its not sound and makes no sense in Judo.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 10:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah that's fine, uh I worked this technique with Bong Yul Shin, 9th Dan Judo, Mike Swain, and a few other high ranking judoka. Each person does their own personal judo differently and this technique has always worked. After speaking with Norm Miller and AnnMaria De Mars about this "Training aid" for white belts, them seemed to agree. Norm Miller is the main contact for AAU Judo, and if you have to ask who AnnMaria is then you shouldn't be in Judo.

Don't believe me......that's ok. Not trying to start a pissing contest but whatever. With proper kuzushi the uke will fly over your shoulder or hip. I have been doing this long to know it works. Period, end of story. I had no problem discussing my background. I do however have a problem with someone saying my training technique doesn't work, much less exist. I happened to learn it 20 years ago. Also, three weeks ago when Ross Scott was in my school he used the same technique. By the way, Ross is Ireland's National Judo Champion and is already slated for the 2012 Olympics. So ok, I don't know what I speak of. That is ok to be a hater I understand.
    Last edited by matt.m; 6/17/2009 10:30pm at .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast