223563 Bullies, 4011 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 12:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never heard of this. In fact I've been specifically taught not to step outside their leg with O-goshi, because it makes getting your hip across extremely difficult.

Seems to me that you'd be reducing the leverage advantage of the throws anyway, meaning you'd have to power them to make them work (or get easily countered, as has been pointed out). Combine that with the added risk of locking out your partner's knee... hospital trip waiting to happen IMO.

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 12:54pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by willaume View Post
    Even so in koshi you still need to have your legs inside his, regardless what technique you add koshy to.

I agree, I was thinking more of the 'sliding off the side' part of the description.

Sounds made up whatever it is, but I'd still like to see. The technique in the vid isn't far off something I did in Kung Fu donkeys years ago.

I'd like to describe it in detail, to see how it compares. But I have gray matter fail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 1:54pm

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    I agree, I was thinking more of the 'sliding off the side' part of the description.

Sounds made up whatever it is, but I'd still like to see. The technique in the vid isn't far off something I did in Kung Fu donkeys years ago.

I'd like to describe it in detail, to see how it compares. But I have gray matter fail.
    Hello yes that would be interesting. (always ready to steal ideas)

It is coming from a 15th century German fencing manual, and it is really usable when the other guy is breaking the “normal” fencing distance to come to wrestling.

From the description I understood as well that I would be something like the sliding on the side thing (or a one hip throw). That what I was trying to get at with the vid

phil

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 2:09pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello yes that would be interesting. (always ready to steal ideas)

It is coming from a 15th century German fencing manual, and it is really usable when the other guy is breaking the “normal” fencing distance to come to wrestling.

From the description I understood as well that I would be something like the sliding on the side thing (or a one hip throw). That what I was trying to get at with the vid

phil
    I realised, this is the internetz age! This was my instructor and the form/art we were learning, the 'throw' is at 1:11, IIRC, and lets face it, I've admitted I can't! Your right arm/hand is holding his, you're pushing him floorwards with the arm and some shoulder drop, your right leg is outside of his and knocking/lifting his leg up by extending the knee. It's all a bit tai otoshi like, but with out the drop, it has a 'hip' element.

YouTube - 18 LOHAN - South Shaolin Form - Master Ji Jian-Cheng

I really liked his stuff, that form showed me how dead karate kata can be. It's not 'alive', but it has real feeling. Good guy too, strangely, even though I trained a short time with him, when i wasn't that experienced, stuff he showed me came back later and made sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 4:38pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Third Leg of Yudo maybe. If you stick your leg outside your opponent's while throwing them, you risk leg injuries to yourself and your partner.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger View Post
    Here is a picture of the typical seoi nage:

This looks like Tsurikomi Goshi to me. Note the lapel grip tori has on uke's left chest.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 4:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it is seoi nage. Folding the arm and putting your elbow under theirs is not the correct form, although most do it that way.

Tsuirkomigoshi the right elbow would be into Uke's left underarm area

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 5:27pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Now I see it. Morote Seioi Nage. It would help if all Judo books had one guy in a white gi and one in a blue. I can't really see tori's right sleeve in this tiny photo.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not expert enough to advise you, but I will say this. I recently fought in a tourney with no novice division (srsly, are you kidding me???) and got ipponed by a nice drop seioi while fighting a black belt. My coach, who thought I was doing well grip fighting and controlling space (for about the first 30 seconds, lol), said I screwed up when I had my legs spread too far apart and gave too much space allowing him to fit in between my legs to get the nice tight throw.

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 8:45pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even so in koshi you still need to have your legs inside his, regardless what technique you add koshy to.

I think he is reffering to stuff like the 2 uberlauffen (beginning of te vid) or the 1st ringen am swert (1:58 2:00)
    YouTube - Stage Escrime médiévale Lille 2009 - 2ème Session - partie 4

basically when the guy is reaching and surging forward
    In the video case because he need to get the point off line and want to prevent the schnitt to happen.
    If there is no weapon, I do not see the need to rush like that.

Sorry the vid is very slow and sloppy but they just took the bit where I explained some particaular bits so it is a very disjointed and I often end up out of place.
    but I think it is what he means by 3rd leg and having one leg outside

Um, no. I didn't see anything like what I was referring to as the "third leg" in that video. Thanks for trying, though. I promise to get at least a picture or video of what I mean by "third leg", so you can see what I mean by the end of this week.

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't catch it at first but what you are referring to does look strikingly similar to what I was taught. The only difference is that I was taught to come from the inside, not the outside, and of course without the swords, or french language (that is french right?).
    Last edited by ZenOfAnger; 6/16/2009 8:50pm at .
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    — Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    — Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 9:16pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to let you all know, my laptop's charger is acting funny, and not making proper contact to charge, so I am going to try and get it fixed tomorrow. I don't have much juice left in it so don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me until Friday. This sucks. I am glad so many people are showing concern on this subject matter, though.

Thanks for understanding.

Sincerely,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    — Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    — Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast