Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See I actually find that useful because it allows one to contrast the relative occurrence of armbars and rnc's in the UFC versus Pride. That is something I find quite interesting.

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 4:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    See I actually find that useful because it allows one to contrast the relative occurrence of armbars and rnc's in the UFC versus Pride. That is something I find quite interesting.
    Can you point out how you did that? I don't see it, sorry. Is it in the breakdown by time, or the click-through tree design?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 4:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Can you point out how you did that? I don't see it, sorry. Is it in the breakdown by time, or the click-through tree design?
    If you look back to the start of this thread you'll find figures that show the proportional representation of submissions in the UFC. The RNC is consistently toward the top (always?).

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 5:18pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    I don't see how it's more clear than the StreamGraph in terms of the relative frequency of any two subs at any particular time, but I'm glad you got some use out it. I would caution, though, against trying to make any sort of judgement based on the early, sparse data (total submissions for the first year of the UFC and PRIDE: 3 RNCs, 1 heel hook vs. 4 armbars, 2 keylocks).

Anyway, now that I know what you were after: over the life of the promotion PRIDE was 34% armbar/16% RNC, UFC over a similar period was 29% armbar/24% RNC.

I did a similar analysis using fighters who share my tendencies in striking when I started training BJJ. The results indicated that my time would be most productively spent developing the armbar, RNC, kimura and guillotine. This seems to be just as true looking at the larger data sets, no matter the promotion.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 6:07pm

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Since I’m not allowed to +rep any more than I already have, I shall have to do some pushups in Jack’s honour once I get home from work.
    video or it didn't happen

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just took the interactive TreeMap visualization down. I'll have a new, better version up within a couple of days.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread rules!
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 9:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I recommend making it an article once it's finished. Any help we can lend?

Of course, then there's the question of maintainability. If only each fight league had an RSS feed...
    I actually asked to use this information to make an article using this on the Examiner and I do a regular overflow article on BS. So, if you want to do something that's entirely BS we should probably talk so we're not writing the exact same stuff.

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 8:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another pretty picture:

(Click for ~1300x1400 pixel version)

... a network graph of the top fighters in PRIDE. Nodes are fighters scaled according to (wins - losses), edges point from winner to loser with a label indicating how the fight ended. Fights in which the loser had never won a match or the winner hadn't won at least 3 more than he'd lost were culled.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 11:57am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    I'd rather you wait a bit before spreading it around. My girlfriend told me: "you need to add fight details per sub; who could look at that without wanting to know what kind of punk would tap to a rape choke?" She has her usual correct, so I added fight info for rare subs yesterday & will change up the design to list all fights by finish sometime later this week. I'll make one for the UFC too.
    Sounds good, I'll hold off.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast