Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon View Post
    Dustin Hazelett defeated Tamdan McCrory at UFC 91 by omoplata. Many places have it listed as an armbar. I would argue that it was much closer to an omoplata than armbar.
    Gonna disagree with you it was a reverse armbar, watch the video here (around 11:20-11:31)

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Dust...1?vid=10002150

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 4:14pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by [Tycho?] View Post
    I considered doing that, and still may. But it would only work for the top few submissions, and even then the graphs wouldn't be that enlightening. There is a lot of variation here. In a year where there are 50 submissions, a mere 5 subs counts for 10% of the total. Because the number of submissions isn't very high from a statistical point of view, a line graph would fluctuate very widely from event to event, and probably wouldn't show a clear trend. Graphing it vs time has a problem too, that since 2005 there have been far more events (and subs) in a year than years before that. A graph by time would be very erratic for the first 14 years, only becoming more stable in the past 3 or so.

Which doesn't mean I won't do it, just for kicks.
    What about a line graph with 10 points, with each point on a particular line representing the number of wins with that particular submission in 10 events (UFC 1 through 100, 1st point being UFC 1 through 10, second point being UFC 11 through 20, etc.).

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Animosimony View Post
    What about a line graph with 10 points, with each point on a particular line representing the number of wins with that particular submission in 10 events (UFC 1 through 100, 1st point being UFC 1 through 10, second point being UFC 11 through 20, etc.).
    I believe the word you're searching for is "Histogram"
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Gonna disagree with you it was a reverse armbar, watch the video here (around 11:20-11:31)

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Dust...1?vid=10002150
    Here is a gif of the (beautiful) finish:
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2l9sbpu.gif

Its... hard to say. Not a regular armbar certainly, it does look like its attacking primarily the shoulder though. In this case I don't think I'll call it an omaplata simply because I'd have to be continually defending that assertion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 1:18pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by [Tycho?] View Post
    Here is a gif of the (beautiful) finish:
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2l9sbpu.gif

Its... hard to say. Not a regular armbar certainly, it does look like its attacking primarily the shoulder though. In this case I don't think I'll call it an omaplata simply because I'd have to be continually defending that assertion.
    What ever the hell y'll call it, I call it thing of beauty indeed!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 6:15am

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great work Tycho!, you're creating a very sensible resource, but maybe you'll still end up having to watch every single fight... just to be SURE.

By the way, do you have rough figures for TKOs and KOs in relation to subs - vs the total wins?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the results were abmigious (armlock), curious (forearm choke) or otherwise strange then I tried to find a closer look.
    I think in the old days they said it was a submission by forearm choke if the guy who won just put his forearm across the other guy's throat and put all his weight on it. I think Brian Johnston in the old UFC lost twice in this manner, to Ken Shamrock and Dan Bobish (Although on Sherdog, Bobish's victory is listed as a TKO).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
    Great work Tycho!, you're creating a very sensible resource, but maybe you'll still end up having to watch every single fight... just to be SURE.

By the way, do you have rough figures for TKOs and KOs in relation to subs - vs the total wins?
    No, I was immediately curious when I started going over the numbers, but it was beyond the scope of my study; I wanted to get this thing finished. Perhaps a future project.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment
    I think in the old days they said it was a submission by forearm choke if the guy who won just put his forearm across the other guy's throat and put all his weight on it. I think Brian Johnston in the old UFC lost twice in this manner, to Ken Shamrock and Dan Bobish (Although on Sherdog, Bobish's victory is listed as a TKO).
    Yup. I originally thought this was just a way of meaning rear naked or a guillotine choke, but I watched a fight where the guy actually did tap to the leaning forearm. I was pretty surprised, I didn't think anyone would tap to something like that, but I guess I'm used to the newer stuff. I have a hard time listing this as a "real" submission though, as anyone competent on the ground would not be caught by something like this unless they were already half-dead.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 8:20am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Tycho, if you put your data up somewhere public -- a shared Google Spreadsheet, for example -- I'll whip up some pretty visualizations for you.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    Hey Tycho, if you put your data up somewhere public -- a shared Google Spreadsheet, for example -- I'll whip up some pretty visualizations for you.
    Beat you to it, its linked to in the OP.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast