Our Sponsors:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 12:30pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem that niethan pointed out above was a small part of a bigger problem: I was using an old render based on a corrupted dataset, thus the actual ratings are wrong. I'll update with a new render sometime later today.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    For example instead of regarding Ali, Forman and Frasier as a RPS-type game, one could distinguish between the Frasier that beat Ali (FRASIER-0308071) from the Frasier that lost to Forman (FRASIER-012273).
    This works out to be computationally similar to the method I had intended to use for the time-scroll version of the visualization.

Bad news: I found a couple of bugs in one of the libraries I'm using, so it might take me a bit longer to get the next generation of the visualization online. (Have to fix them and send patches in the meantime).
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 5:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for the charts. This helps to decide what to train.
    The "big four" and some leg locks looks like a good choice.

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 7:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've worked around the broken library (it was a design flaw, rather than a simple bug). New rankings and visualizations are up. Most rankings are similar to what they were before, but there have been some interesting changes.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 11:17am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Late to this thread, but really cool.
    I can't seem to view most of Jack attachements though.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Late to this thread, but really cool.
    I can't seem to view most of Jack attachements though.
    The fighter rating stuff is here. I'm working on re-doing the submission frequency analysis in a better way, after which I'll post it.

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 10:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again for this neat analysis, Jack. Though at this point I feel like I've sated the bulk of my interest in the actual submission/statistics topic, and am following the technical details more closely.

Was the design flaw in the 3rd party lib?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 8:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    at this point I feel like I've sated the bulk of my interest in the actual submission/statistics topic
    Me too for the most part, though I look forward to by-weight top ten lists after we add per-fight weight class data. I'd like to see where Couture falls in terms of all-time HW vs all-time LHW, for example.

Also, I'm going to put up a little web-app that automatically publishes per-division current ratings based on the most recent fights.

and am following the technical details more closely.
    I've updated the 'Acknowledgements and Further Reading' section of the Rhetorical Device article with links to relevant papers/textbook chapters regarding the mathematics of rating players in tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Was the design flaw in the 3rd party lib?
    It was. The directed graph library in the visualization layer was designed without consideration to the possibility of multigraphs, the consequence of which was that repeat victories of one fighter over another were being rated like single victories (back-and-forths were handled properly). For some fighters this didn't matter much (Fedor's three defeats of Nog just pushed him more securely into 1st place), for others it made a huge difference (Wanderlei Silva's three muggings of Sakuraba, for example).

I will likely add multigraph support to the library in question at some point in the next couple of months, but in the meantime I calculate the values correctly in my own graph layer (which runs much faster anyway), then copy over the data I want to display.

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to G-Off's unbridled awesomeness we now have weight classes for all fights. I've run all-time top ten lists for each weight class, and they mostly turn out how one would expect, but with a few surprises mixed in.

I'll format the results nicely and make them available in the near future, but in the meantime here are the top players by weight in the modern (post UFC31, 2001-) era:

Lightweight — B.J. Penn
    Welterweight — GSP
    Middleweight — Anderson Silva
    Light Heavyweight — Chuck Liddell
    Heavyweight — Tim Sylvia (yeah, I know!)

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 2:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How'd Couture make out?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast