Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 1:53am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broken jaw?

I recently came off my motorbike and suffered several broken bones to my face (helmet unsecured), including my forehead, nose, both cheekbones and two fractures to my jaw. One of those breaks was so close to the mandible joint that they could not operate without high risk of facial paralysis. The other break was on the left side of my chin which crumbled much of the bone, so they replaced it with a titanium plate.
    I was told by my doctor that I should wait 3-4 months until it was back to normal. I said, "when can I play sport?" He asked, "what type of sport?", I said, "combat, full contact," he said "longer, 5-6 months".
    I didn't have a problem with this so much as how he said it, as if he himself was wary of what he was advising.
    I used to have an iron jaw, was able to take mammoth hits to the head (duck/ weave, whats that?) and never went down. I was bragging about this to a sparring partner one day, that night God proved my statement ,"I have an unbreakable jaw" so unbelievably wrong I have resigned to never tempt Him again.
    I suppose what I am looking for is precedence. Does a broken jaw preclude you from a competitive combat sport career? Are there any fighters who have had their jaw broken and returned?
    Or should I just train in order to help others get ready for fights, ie instruct/ sparring partner?

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 3:57am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends how things turn out, really. Good thing you wore your helmet, even if it was unsecured. Nothing can ruin your career as a martial artist better than death.

I hope you heal up well. If a career in fighting isn't meant to be, it isn't meant to be, its just good to be alive.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 11:50pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to find out, whether or not there is a career to be had, before I think "**** it, the doc said it'd be better now" and find out that the first well placed punch skewers my brain with a shard of jaw.
    Is there any fighters out there now that have had a broken jaw and returned to the ring/cage? Any combat sports at all?