Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 9:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swerve of the century! (so far) Cro Cop Jumps Ship!

Haven't seen this posted (which is strange considering how big a shocker it is, anyways:

COLOGNE, Germany – Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic’s return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a short one.

Not long after stopping Mostapha Al-Turk in the first round of UFC 99 on Saturday at Lanxess Arena in his first fight in the UFC since back-to-back losses in 2007, Filipovic informed UFC president Dana White that he had signed a three-fight contract with the Japan-based DREAM.

White had signed Filipovic less than a month ago to a one-fight deal, the first time in more than nine years that he’d done that. He had worked out terms on two additional fights, but said he’d only put pen to paper for Saturday’s bout.

He brought Filipovic back because he knew the Croat is still very popular and Filipovic insisted he wanted to make a run for the title.
    ADVERTISEMENT

That proved not to be the truth. After turning down much tougher opposition, including Cain Velasquez, who defeated Cheick Kongo later on the card, he wound up with the lightly regarded Al-Turk.

But instead of getting a shot at big names like Randy Couture or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and fighting his way into title contention, Filipovic opted to bolt for Japan.

“Isn’t that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?” White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic’s deal with DREAM. “He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me.”

Filipovic looked unsteady and hardly impressive in defeating Al-Turk, who is winless in the UFC. He never landed one of his vaunted kicks and the fight ended not from a punch but when he poked Al-Turk in the eye with his finger.

Referee Dan Miragliotta didn’t see the poke, so it was regarded as a clean blow and Filipovic won by stoppage.

Filipovic was fighting five months to the day after knee surgery, one of several injuries he said kept him from performing at his best in his first stint in the UFC. Before the fight, he called his 1-2 UFC record “the black spot” on his career.

While speaking with reporters on a prefight conference call, Filipovic enthused about his return and said he was gunning for a title shot. All the while, he apparently knew he was in it for a one-fight deal.

He texted White on White’s cellular phone and told him he wanted to return. White said Filipovic declined numerous opponents.

Apparently, Filipovic, who is from Croatia, wanted to fight in Germany and use the UFC bout as a tuneup. He did and is now Dream bound, but he’ll almost certainly never fight in the UFC again.

“He didn’t keep his word,” White said, who said he’d had a two-hour talk with Filipovic on the day Filipovic texted and asked to be able to return. “He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me.

“He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn’t just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too.”

As is his custom, Filipovic skipped the postfight news conference and could not be reached to comment on the DREAM deal.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

I didn't rate cro cop in that fight anyways, looks like he knew he wouldn't hack it in the UFC and took the easy paycheck in Japan.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 9:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japan doesn't test for steroids so it's a better fit for Cro Cop

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! That's interesting. Yeah, the fight kinda sucked just because of the eye poke. I wish it would have went longer. It doesn't surprise me though about him going to DREAM. He is loved in Japan. Lots of money coming from there and he will get more fights out there because they don't care about win loss record as much as the UFC does.

They will keep him fighting in Japan just because they love him. Dana White would have eventually put him on the bottom of the card if he didn't start winning and that would hurt his career.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 9:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They'ss also feed him a diet of cans

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:35am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Japan doesn't test for steroids so it's a better fit for Cro Cop
    I have a hunch he'll test positive for roids from UFC 99. If so, smart move fleeing before the UFC can slap any sanctions on him.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:46am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's it... **** mirko. Officialy not a fan any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way mirko could have been competative in the UFC would have been to drop to 205 - which would have been awesome.

But he pussed out

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:54am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's lots of people on other forums saying **** like, "LOL, it's about time the UFC got fucked. Good on crocop." I personally think that's a load of BS. Crocop lied to the fans as much as the UFC. He said in numerous interviews it wasn't about money, but about regaining respect and making a run at the UFC title. The only mystery here, is why the hell did he take even one fight in the UFC. Dream would have fed him a can soon and paid him more for it. Instead he looked less than stellar against a subpar fighter. I do think cro cop would have won the fight considering the way it was going before the poke, but he still didn't look sharp.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:55am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    The only way mirko could have been competative in the UFC would have been to drop to 205 - which would have been awesome.

But he pussed out
    Nope. There are too many guys with great wrestling in that division. He would be put on his back and pounded into hamburger in that division.

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:56am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    That's it... **** mirko. Officialy not a fan any more.
    I think the only fans he has left after this are people who hardcore hate Dana White.

I can understand to a point being happy about Dana finally having the tables turned on him regarding verbal "agreements," and having a fighter be the one that's slimy and dishonest rather than the huge promotion company. Still, this hurts the fans a whole lot more than it does the UFC, so **** CroCop. Let him roid his way back to relevance in Japan and then get smashed by Overeem.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast