Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 11:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Urban Survival Systems in Vancouver

Hello everybody. As you can see *points to "1 post" marker* I am new to the forum and new to martial arts in general. I have done a little bit of basic stuff but I am quite ignorant and lacking the tools for effectively debunking McDojos. I know a few of the warning signs from observing this forum but I have particular trouble assessing "reality based" dojos. I am quite interested in the reality based stuff so I am in a difficult position. I was wondering what impression you guys got from this or if anyone has any direct experience. I did some searching on my own but couldn't find much in the way of reviews.

http://www.uss-canada.ca/index2.html

I don't mean to insinute that this place is a scam or sucky. It seems interesting and I want help from experienced people to avoid the possibility of wasting my time. Thank you very much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2009 1:08am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion and it belongs to no one else.
    I personally wouldn't train there. It's only two nights a week and those guys refer to themselves as Gurus!? Seriously, they need to go **** themselves.
    Guru? that's your fucking title? piss off. I'll go spend my money on a "coach"

Please move to newbietown.... this is definitely not a good start for a MABS thread.
    Last edited by NoTeefa; 6/13/2009 1:11am at .

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know/knew Guro Ed Wong. Quite simply he is very good at what he does and is in my mind a very dedicated student of quite simply one of the best FMA instructors in the lower mainland. This is guro Louie Lindo.

The profanities in this thread are in my mind pointless and infantile.
    I havent seen Ed in some time but when we were training partners, part time, he was also training at other classes. He is not a one style man.

He is well rounded and well versed in his main style which i believe to be Lima Ng Salikop.

While i knew him roughly 10+ years ago, i would imagine he is still very skilled and knowledgeable.

I would recommend you to train with Ed, money well spent.

attaching my real name and not hiding behind web persona,

Phil Hurcum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, judo, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't heard much about them before. Judging by their address, it looks like they practice out of a capoeira gym that is just down the street from where I train BJJ. I'd pretty much say: Gracie Barra Vancouver is less than a block away (good BJJ training), and out of the same capoeira school you can study kali with a Dog Brother (under his school called Maelstrom Martial Arts)...I'd much rather throw in with either of those two organizations (or both).

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skepticus View Post
    from where I train BJJ. I'd pretty much say: Gracie Barra Vancouver is less than a block away
    My wife and I actually ended up joining Gracie Barra. I have been out of commission (I seriously messed up my knee) for a couple months, but I will be back in relatively short order.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, judo, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess that settles that then. (I should have noticed that ironmao raised this thread from its almost year-long death). Hope your knee gets better, and uh...I guess I'll see you at the gym...though I won't know who you are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 9:06pm

Style: KunTao & Kettlebells

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion and it belongs to no one else.
    I personally wouldn't train there. It's only two nights a week and those guys refer to themselves as Gurus!? Seriously, they need to go **** themselves.
    Guru? that's your fucking title? piss off. I'll go spend my money on a "coach"

Please move to newbietown.... this is definitely not a good start for a MABS thread.
    In reference to the title Guro (Guro) as used in Fillipino or Indonesian martial arts simply means teacher. What the exact etymology or original meaning is, I have no idea, but I know that's how it's used today. It's quite different from the Indian Guru or how we use the word in the West today as in "he's a marketing Guru", or something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 9:28pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, they don't have "tactical" or "combat" in the title? I'm shocked!!

"Guro" is from sanskrit "guru" which means a knowledgable person that guides others. In other words, a teacher. In western usage "He's a marketing guru" we use it to mean a knowledgeable person that has devotees. If earned, its a basic teaching rank. The loftier titles add words to "guro", or "tuhon".

Filipino and Indonesian MA systems have not seen huge commercial successes in North America. Full time FMA/IMA schools are rare. Most just don't have the clientele to teach 5-6 days a week.