Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2003 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me, Mike Singer...
    Just for the record. I like Phil too, but I know what he told me. I never forgot that, because that is what turned me off about him. I knew he was full of **** when he said that. I have no reason to lie about that. Phil is a good grappler and like I said, he whipped my ass.

Also, Phil used to say that prior to opening the school. he taught out of his house and he had several challenge matches with people that were all video-taped. Have you ever seen any of these tapes?

I also trained with a Machado Affiliate school in New York and had the opportunity to roll with JJ Machado. If you have trained with the Machados you know that the best grapplers feel like you are grappling with an empty "Gi".

To close, I don't spread rumors about anybody, I just tell it like it is.

Peace............LAW2747

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Law

I am not giving you a hard time; I was just stating the version I had heard on several different occasions. I know he had posted the version I heard on the underground at one point and refused to get into specifics about the workout other than to say Rickson was great. He told me at one point they were wearing the gi and I personally I donít feel Phil is that good with a gi. Unless I was with you when you talked to him I could never know for sure what was said for all I know he could have told you he could fly.

I started with him when he was in the basement of his condo and your question got me to thinking about what I have seen with my own eyes or on tape. I was there when one fight
    happened and donít remember anyone taping it. I never saw a tape of any challenge matches just the one I was there for. The only things on tape I have actually seen are 3 or 4 kickboxing matches (one without gloves the others with gloves) the NHB fight he lost against Mott and the grappling match with Ferguson.

JJ is slick as hell I felt like I was chasing smoke. Iíve been fortunate enough to train with some great grapplers some did feel like an empty gi. Even within the same family and system each grapplerís game is unique while JJ was like grappling a ghost Rigan was like being run over by a train. I have rolled with guys who left me feeling like I was mugged some felt like I was trying to ride a hurricane they were so explosive. Thatís what I love about grappling all the differing games within the game each puts his own stamp on it.

As I said I can only speak from what I know and wasnít party to your dealings with him I can only comment on mine.

MS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2003 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem "ME", I know where you are coming from, because alot of people start rumors that aren't true. I liked Phil, when he said that about Rickson, I figured he was a little whacked out.

He was teaching some great stand-up stuff too with biting and eye pokes in his arsenal. I don't know if his background is legit or not, but he does know how to fight. As far as the Machados go, to me that's a different league. I rolled with JJ and Carlos and personally I found JJ to be a better grappler.(only my opinion).

Are you still training? I took a layoff for 2 months because of family obligations.

Peace...........Law2747
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12