Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 7:21am

Style: Muay Thai and BJJ(noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kajukenbo question?

well umm can anyone vouch for this school?
    http://sakajukenbo.net/
    so yeah opinions ect....seemed like a good school but i was only there for one class so not sure....the style was supposed to be traditional hard style (or emperado style right?) anyways and it didnt seem like really hardcore like people said it was should that concern me?oh the instructors names are well you can see them on the site anyways they trained under sigung steve watson who trained under allan abad who trained under emperado so decent linage too right?oh yeah just somethin to throw out there i think eperados great grandson goes there not that it matters that much...
    Last edited by Ramonesfreak566; 9/14/2011 7:35am at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lineage is legitimate, but that doesn't answer a whole lot about what kind of training to expect. Kaju schools vary greatly from branch to branch and especially lately from instructor to instructor. Very much a mixed bag.

I would defer to the wisdom of Professor John Bishop (username Bishop on this site) for opinions on the technique under the Abad school compared to what is taught as Original Hard Style.

But if I were to offer my opinion in more general terms, OHS is very much Kenpo in nature with a training philosophy based around practicing the execution of a series of strikes and sweeps that vary from quite basic to the complex. There is much emphasis on attacking all parts of the body (notably the groin/throat/ribs/solar plexus) with a wide variety of punches, hammer strikes, knees and kicks.

I'd recommend trying out the school and politely ask a variety of basic questions after taking a class.

eg..
    •Do you need to purchase protective equipment? (cup, mouthpiece, 9-16oz gloves)
    •Is regular sparring part of the training program? If so, when would you be expected to partake in light contact drills/sparring in class?
    •Does the school compete or encourage competition in any combat sporting events?

All in all, if you find that the bulk of your training week is spent in front of a mirror or whacking away at someone who punches at you and leaves his arm out for 5+ seconds while you execute the deadliness on him, and sparring is pretty much limited to point/tag matches, I'd consider training elsewhere.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice i visited today there was alotta practicing techniques and forms against attackers who stood there doing nothing.....but apparently one day of the week they do it realistically ive yet to see it ill post what i see tomorrow...oh and sparring is optional i assume?you have to set an appointment and they get someone to spar with you soooo so far its okay...the techniques seem practical...like i said ill post more about it later

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 8:37pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring is definitely the question. Kajukenbo has a lot of variability, and as a rule of thumb, the good ones spar regularly, and at the higher levels, at hard contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wanna ask about the sparring and how hard they go at it because theres two teachers there the nice one and apparently the other one is the tough guy(i havent had a chance to train with him yet) so hopefully next week ill see just how tough this guy trains us....this past week we didnt do much "hardcore" training i mean it was just katas,techniques(practiced against people who throw one or two punches and stand like statues?) but also the highest belt there is a green belt(they use more belts than the original way they did the belt ranking which was apparently 3 belts white purple and black?is that true?anyways yeah everyone there is mostly at orange 1 green and 3 black belts(thats including the teachers) sooo maybe where not at the level where they start doing the hardcore stuff cause they did say the first few belts where easy so ill just wait awhile and watch seeing where it goes.....im surprised they just dont make you do it though i mean thats what kajukenbo is known for right?full contact sparring?
    Last edited by Ramonesfreak566; 9/16/2011 9:44pm at .

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Green is pretty high rank in Kaju; all my green belts spar heavy contact and some of them are MMA fighters too. Contact usually kicks up at purple belt or so. And yes, Kaju has a reputation for being willing to bang.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you have nay schools you would recommend in the san antonio area?oh wait your not in texas....anyone from texas know "hardcore" schools in san antonio?

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 5:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can ask around for Texas. How close are you to Texas A&M?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im like 30 minutes away but you gotta remember im only 14 so it might be difficult for me to get there...why do you ask?and thanks man appreciate it

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff Cirrillo, from the same branch of Kaju I am, is a professor there and a kick ass instructor, of the type you seek. You can just google him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast