Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 11:30pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Australian UFC? Dana? Fertitta's?

I understand our tiny market is a drop in the ocean. I also understand that our laws mean getting it commissioned would be a nightmare. And it is also understood that to fill a stadium at the prices charged in the States, is about as likely as a terrorist attack at Alice Springs.
    However, if we look at Australia's sporting history, we notice two things. One, per head of population, we are among the most successful sporting nations in the world. Two, it does not take long for us to begin to excel in a sport once it has become popular.
    And we love to fight.
    So what I am cryptically referring to is if we want to see some of the best athletes in the world from a country that loves to fight, we need to see more Aussies on the world stage. In order to do that, I reckon hosting a UFC event here would increase awareness, therefore popularity.
    After the UFC held events in Britain, plus the Britons on TUF, MMA's popularity exploded enough to warrant TUF 9. There is much to suggest the same would happen here (strong fanbase, good coaching, willing contestants).
    If we can't get an event, how about TUF 12, Australian Ultimate Fighter?
    These are just musings, you can't hurry fate.
    Opinions?
    Also, anyone know of any promotions in Sydney that are purely MMA, as I have found many are tacking it on to their kickboxing/ muay thai events?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 12:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming you've never heard of CFC?

www.cfcworld.com.au

They've held all their past shows at Luna Park, i've been to two myself.
    There are also quite a few smaller mma promotions around the place, you really have to be in a mma gym to know sometimes.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could see it happening, maybe, if George puts together a few wins in the UFC (quite possible) and maybe Elvis wins enough in the minors to get re-signed by the UFC (unlikely, as much I'd like to see it, as a Will-Machado BJJer) so they can put two Aussies on the same card. I think they could draw a pretty decent crowd in most of the bigger cities; they seem to do pretty well with the kickboxing and MMA events on the Gold Coast...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:05am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA is banned in Victoria, the second-most populous state. The chances of MMA gaining any ground in Australia are slim.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:23am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear there's promoters and fighters in the capital but I've yet to hear of a gym that actually trains real non-mcdojo MMA.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:52am

Style: Norse Death Hugging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask View Post
    MMA is banned in Victoria, the second-most populous state.
    Hey mate, I've never heard this before (but haven't investigated it) would you mind clarifying what you mean?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THE BRUMBY Government has moved swiftly to prevent controversial caged combat from coming to Victoria.

Sport Minister James Merlino has announced that any attempt to stage "no-holds-barred contests" in large cages will be blocked.

The move comes after revleations of plans to bring the ultra-violent Fight Club-style brawls to Melbourne.

The brutal fights see combatants choke, stamp on, punch and kick each other inside a 2m-high metal cage.

The ban has been welcomed by the Australian Medical Association after it raised concerns over the safety of the competition that has seen a surge in popularity in Australia, following trends in Japan, Europe and the US.

Mr Merlino said that under the Professional Boxing and Combat Sports (Amendment) Bill 2007 caged combat sports would definitely be banned.

"I have never approved and will not be approving any combat sport competitions staged in cages," he said.

"Contests in cages do not fit with our long-term aims for the industry."

Mr Merlino said that any promoter or organisation staging a caged combat sport event would face fines of up to $12,000 or 12 months' imprisonment, or both.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...62-421,00.html

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:59am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic, but on a similar thought process, why can't I select Australia as my birth place in UFC Undisputed? I can understand not selecting it for the 'fighting out of' thing because they would have to add the extra speech for the announcer guy, but why not at least the home country.

Also, that woman who introduces the classic fights is hot.:love5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 9:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because you touch yourself at night.

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 9:07am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I don't; I touch myself during my morning shower.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast