Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help... so I can get to the meetups.

This is kind of a shout out for a meeting...

Guys, I am flat broke. No job, selling plasma, you get the idea.

My car just died. Got a battery light, and everything died on the way home.

I suspect it is either the battery (unlikely, new one year ago), the belt, or the alt. No idea how to make sure.

Any bullies in the Grand Blanc, MI area with skills in this area?

I have better things than cash to barter with.....

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A loose ground wire would be a place to start: it could cause a running car to stop, and the fix could be free (basically, if you follow the negative battery cable and find that it's not properly attached at the other (nonbattery) end).

Good luck.

I also had that sort of thing from a bad coil -- which would also not be such an expensive fix.
    Last edited by billy sol hurok; 6/11/2009 7:09pm at . Reason: I am not a mechanic. Google at your own risk. Ask your doctor whether you're fit for sexual activity.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 7:50pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sifu has long been blessed with some people who know just a tiny bit about cars. I'm not one of them though. I can't even change my own oil. :*(

My frickin' fiancee (the hot one who likes to beat Moosey up) can change her own oil. I am not a man on this one.

/limp wrist

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 7:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

<<<Do you have the Vue back? If so, it may have electric steering. Several of our vehicles now have that rather than hydraulics because it slightly improves fuel economy. All of the Cobalts and Ions do as well as several other models.

So, consider this. Your battery went and then your steering. That suggests that the alternator, voltage regulator, or some other part of the electrical system malfunctioned. Apparently the battery was providing power to the steering (and probably the ignition) and it wasn't getting a charge. First, always check the fuse box. If that's not the problem, you'll have to take it in, or find somebody who knows more. Maybe it's only the battery, but I have no way of telling.>>>

Now, I have no idea how to check any of that stuff.....

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 8:27pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suggestion: Post some pics of the car, and it's engine bay, and maybe someone can put a step by step guide together for you by adding text and arrows/circles via photoshop.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Update:

<<<Do you have the Vue back? If so, it may have electric steering. Several of our vehicles now have that rather than hydraulics because it slightly improves fuel economy. All of the Cobalts and Ions do as well as several other models.

So, consider this. Your battery went and then your steering. That suggests that the alternator, voltage regulator, or some other part of the electrical system malfunctioned. Apparently the battery was providing power to the steering (and probably the ignition) and it wasn't getting a charge. First, always check the fuse box. If that's not the problem, you'll have to take it in, or find somebody who knows more. Maybe it's only the battery, but I have no way of telling.>>>

Now, I have no idea how to check any of that stuff.....
    That may or may not be relevant. Any car equipped with power steering (hydraulic or "electric") will become a bitch to steer when the engine has cut off . . .

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 7:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The engine was still running when the steering went out, the engine died when I was turning into my parking space. Thankfully.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:40am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not a mechanic, just a hobbyist who loves to tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    ...alternator, voltage regulator, or some other part of the electrical system malfunctioned. Apparently the battery was providing power to the steering (and probably the ignition) and it wasn't getting a charge. First, always check the fuse box....
    REMOVE ALL JEWELRY, RINGS, BRACELETS ETC. If it's on your hands, take it off!

1) Check the battery.
    Open the hood, locate the battery, depending on the configuration of your engine there may be items stacked on top of, or around, your battery. If there is nothing on top of your battery loosen the battery clamps (usually is a piece of plastic that holds the battery down) once the clamps are off loosen, then remove the NEGATIVE (black) terminal first. Then the positive (red) terminal.

Once the battery is out of the car you can take it to an Advance/Napa Auto parts to have it checked, and charged, for free.

2) Fuse Box
    From the positive (red) terminal trace the wires till you find a small (usually black) box. This may have white lettering or diagrams on the top, if not, no worries. Open the box. If you see 3-10 small chip looking things you have found the fuse box.

WITH THE BATTERY ALREADY REMOVED

check the fuses, gently pull them from the fuse box, check for any that are scorched, or blackened, or cracked. Put the fuses back where you got them. I recommend pulling ONE fuse at a time. If no fuses look damaged....

Alternator:
    Requires a little more tinkering. I'm going to do some research and get back to you.

After all this, report back and I can take you the next steps.
    Last edited by ignatzami; 6/12/2009 8:44am at .

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if things are really tight, I can potentially make the drive. It's just shy of six hours but I've gone farther for worse causes.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternator:

Requires a few more tools....

Ok, without looking at your engine, or having a shop manual I can't give you really detailed directions but your going to have to find the tensioner for the alternator belt. it should be a spring mounted pulley, keep tracing the route the belt takes, eventually you should see a "dummy" pulley. This pulley won't be attached to either your drive shaft, or to the alternator.

It needs to be loosened. The tensioner bolt should be located on the back side, though this is conjecture as I can't see your engine, loosen the bolt, move the pulley and the belt should become slack.

Remove the belt from the alternator pulley, then loosen the bolts holding the alternator down and remove the alternator. Your alternator looks like this: http://www.car-stuff.com/store/image...test/13944.jpg

Once the bolts are out you can remove the alternator. Take it to Napa/Advance and have it tested. This should be free, if the alternator is bad replace it, make sure you have a torque wrench and when you replace the bolts torque them to 25lbs. No more, no less. Replace the belt, tighten the tensioner.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast