Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 12:15pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is this place legit? your thoughts?

Hi all, can you guys please tell me if this place is a legit MMA gym. The call MMA a style, and the list of credentials are a bit odd. Ive heard of Paul Vanuk and heard ok things about his dvd courses. Curtis Sizemore is a bit of a mystery all i could find was this www.ekymma.com/curtis.html and i dont think hes a black belt in anything, so how is he awarding blackbelts. There response was curious to say the least. Im sure everyone will recognize John Peeligrini for the hapkido threads. The extensive training with no rank in bjj is strange. Below an excerpt from our conversations.

"Ciscodog, I simply asked if you trained. I donít care about your lineage, or anyone elseís. Itís how they perform that matters, which is why you donít see any lineage on our website. So hereís a list of all the training Aaron has done over his lifetime that has led him to what he teaches now. He grew up in a town where there was only one style of MA being taught at the time, Shaolin Do. He pursued that for a long time before he realized that it was missing something. That led him to Kenpo (the MA being taught in a neighboring town), which led him to Hapkido, which made him realize that none of them were complete. His next move was to JKD and Filipino martial arts. That was closer to what he wanted, and for a while he thought it was the end of his path. He attained the highest ďrankĒ under Paul Vunak (no belts, just levels of instructorship) before realizing that it too was incomplete. At that point he figured out that rank had no importance in his quest. He started taking as much training as possible that he felt was relevant. MMA, Combatives, and teaching firearms classes around the world turned out to be that ďend of the pathĒ he was looking for. The rest of the instructors at our gym are products of Aaronís training (Iíve been with him for 7 years, no prior experience: Kyle wrestled all through high school, had a bit of TKD as a kid, has been with us for over 5 years: Steve started training with Aaron about 11 years ago and has also done some BJJ in that time: James has been with Aaron for 9 years and is also a purple belt in BJJ: Will had some Shaolin Do as a kid, natural athlete, been with us for almost 3 years)

- 3rd Degree Black Belt in Shaolin Do (Bob Green)
    - 3rd Degree Black Belt in American Kenpo (Curtis Sizemore)
    - 1st Degree Black Belt in Hapkido (John Pellegrini)
    - Certified Knife Fighting Instructor (Paul Vunak)
    - Certified Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics Instructor (Paul Vunak)
    - Certified Ground Fighting Instructor (Paul Vunak)
    - Full Instructor in Jeet Kune Do (Paul Vunak)
    - Full Instructor in Filipino Martial Arts (Paul Vunak)
    - Extensive training in BJJ (Mike OíDonnell)
    - Former member of the Straight Blast Gym International (Matt Thornton/Adam Singer)
    - Executive Protection Training (Tactical Response)
    - Firearms Training (Tactical Response, Andy Stanford)
    - KY Dept. of Criminal Justice Training - Firearms Instructor

Gym Director
    Performance Edge Martial Arts
    www.TruthinCombat.com
    Seeking Truth In Combat, One Drop Of Sweat At A Time!"

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 12:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the ekymma gym the one you have questions about? It's not entirely clear from your post if that's the one or not. I'm assuming it is for now though:
    Based on the credentials list it could go either way. Most SBGi gyms are pretty damn good, but some of their other stuff is of questionable usefulness. I think you would have to look at the students MMA records to get a feel for how effective their curriculum is. The mix they show COULD be totally effective if they are training hard and alive. I think you'll either have to visit or get some info about their actual fight records before making the call on this one...

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul Vunak isn't bad. he has a plausible alibi, so to speak, about his rank in Shaolin-Do, HKD, and Kempo. But this text:

"- Extensive training in BJJ (Mike O’Donnell)
    - Former member of the Straight Blast Gym International (Matt Thornton/Adam Singer) "

gives me memories of Jean-Luc Picard telling Mr. Riker, "Go to red alert." Extensive training implies he should have rank. Former member means jack.

He might be OK, but these 2 things are weird.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im sorry, im inquiring about the TruthinCombat.com The head of the gym credits himself with a 3rd dan in American Kempo from Curtis Sizemore, but on the www.ekymma.com/curtis.html site there is now mention by Curtis to having any dan rank, rather extensively trained in and a long list f styles. That was something else i found strange.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 1:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well. Aaron has an MMA record of 0-1-0, he lost via KO slam back in 99, http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....118CE4FD801FF3
    So he's been in the cage.

Kyle Agee is 2-1-0. http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....606C0D2F479AE2

Couldn't find any info for Steve Boni.

James Escaloni is 2-1 as well http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....C590EC0D5C880E

All of the fights seem to be a few years old.

I can't find anything about a current fight team, but they appear to be legit even if they don't have the most awesome fight record ever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not sure id want to train there.....but whatever. Thanks for your help and answers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 8:00am

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nvm, I was about to go off, but his bio is pretty vague.
    Last edited by newbie999; 6/12/2009 8:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 10:29am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have a youtube page with a few videos... might help...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePerformanceEdge

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 1:00pm

Style: FCS,Inosanto/Lacoste Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a few of my friends train out there, the place is legit, just over looked mostly, because 4 seasons got so big.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 2:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok ty