NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I don't really see the benefit in having this as two rounds of one match rather than separate events or tournaments.
    The idea would be to let the kids use the full range of techniques in a single match. Shidokan competition is similar.

Its actually pretty simple: In the second round, the headgear comes off, head shots become illegal, and grappling is in play. The first round is basically SanDa but without the nutty scoring.

Taken together the kids will get to use the full range of techniques they will use in a single round when they get older.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 6/10/2009 7:19pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 7:40pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just another idea… how about making it 3 rounds instead of two?

First round: Full gear kickboxing, clinching, but no throwing. No elbows or knees.

Second round: Throws and takedowns. Judo throws, tripping, single legs and so on… no striking.

Third round: All grappling, with appropriate age level rules in place.

Score all three round best 2 out of 3 wins.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 7:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    Just another idea… how about making it 3 rounds instead of two?

First round: Full gear kickboxing, clinching, but no throwing. No elbows or knees.

Second round: Throws and takedowns. Judo throws, tripping, single legs and so on… no striking.

Third round: All grappling, with appropriate age level rules in place.

Score all three round best 2 out of 3 wins.
    That's possible. I kept the 2 2-minute rounds from the juniors ammy shooto rules. I think a shorter fight is generally safer, and a single shift in rules is easier for everyone to keep track of. What do the rest of you think?

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should take a look at Fightleague . Org and read their amateur mma rules. Those rules apply to kids as young as 6 and after observing several of there events the rule set enforced by Two Ref's provides for a safe framework for kids to compete in amateur mma. You can also find many videos on youtube of kids competing in these events.

Why would you want to eliminate submission grappling? Take a look at NAGA and Grapplers Quest, thousands of kids compete every year in those events ( BJJ/Submission Grappling )

Cheers

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a 16 year old, this is honestly an offensive suggestion. I roll and spar with full grown men just like anyone else. I don't see why a 17 year old should be allowed to compete in amateur MMA, but I should be forced to have a watered down barely kickboxing, barely grappling contest.

Intelligence and maturity aren't a huge factor at 16...note the ability to drive.

I'd say the upper age limit for rules like that should be 14. But then I'd also say those rules are silly in general.

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Notice that I said 13-15 (or 16) and then asked for your input. I am just trying to solve the problem of people getting compromised on the ground by their head gear, as happened to my 13 year old. Granted, switching to no-chinstrap head gear might solve the problem.

YouTube - Juniors Ammy Shooto Match
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 6/19/2009 8:29pm at .

Posted On:
    6/19/2009 8:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know. I didn't take it personally. I was trying to give you said feedback.

I can see the headgear being a grappling issue for sure. That would get on my nerves, and I think it's required for any ammy MMA in PA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2009 7:05pm

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The round thing is unfair. If its mma and one persons a grappler and the other is a striker the grappler is fucked untill the second round. I definatly think the headgear needs to be changed as otherwise it compromises the grappling just like what happened to your son. The headgear is still bulky so it might still get in the way during chokes ect. Its tricky one to balance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 5:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido,Jujistu,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember MTV had a show with MMA incorporated into it. I remember it was pretty douchey, but they had a similar layout that you are considering. I believe they had one round of like, kickboxing with no groundwork followed by one round where there weren't any punches allowed with the intention of promoting more of a groundwork round.

With the issues of not being able to remember a set of rules or struggling with ground and pounds, knees and whatnot, maybe you should look into an episode of this particular show in order to find a way to refine your idea into something more appropriate for what you want.

I think the show was called Bully something. Maybe Bully Beatdown? I can't remember, The host was such a goof I only watched one episode.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 8:07am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Age 9-12
    STRIKING (2 mins)
    Full protective gear, Sanshou rules. No ground work.
    Scored with 10-point "Must" system (Getting thrown/knockdown reduces score by 1 point)

GRAPPLING (2 mins) Grappling for takedowns and pins only.
    Clean (ippon) Throw= 2 points (Opponent comes off the mat, and is thrown on back with force and control)
    other takedown= 1 point
    Dominant pin position (O saekomi) for 15 seconds= 3 points
    Reversal=2 points
    Escape=1 point

Age 13-16
    STRIKING = 3 mins (Same as above)
    GRAPPLING = 3 mins (Same as above with 4 oz gloves and body strikes ONLY allowed. No elbows of any kind. No striking a downed opponent at all. Chokes allowed = 3 points)
    3 chokes=TKO

Age 17-18
    Same as above with GNP (to the body) & armbars and leglocks permitted ingrappling =3 points. 3 Submissions = TKO

All groups have 15 point "outclassed" margin. If you fall behind by 15 points at any time, the match is over by TKO. KO or TKO is instant win. Order of rounds determined by opening coin toss.

It will require competent reffing and judging, but I borrowed heavily form sports that already have significant youth participation. The point system will keep a kid working until the very end, and allows the particiapnt to fight the whole time. Tapping out is not an automatic loss, it just hurts your score.

In this age goup I prefer to see the kids fight the whole time. It's good for them. And getting beaten in the first 5 seconds by a better fighter is no fun.

Last edited by Scrapper; 6/23/2009 6:54pm at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast